The Student Room Group

If someone destroyed the NHS, people wouldn't be so lazy.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Smash Bandicoot
are you a fan of Social Darwinism?

I'd rather live, thank you. :smile:
Original post by Octohedral
We can see the results - just look at America.

All those motivated people.

I see your sarcasm, and I like it.
Firstly hospitals and public spending on health care has a large fiscal multiplier value.

Secondally America's health system is more expensive for the tax payer than ours is. Why do people not know this? It cost more tax money to run a **** insurance system over there. Our government ran socialized system is cheaper for ****s sake and has a better outcome in terms of actually treating people.
Original post by Foo.mp3
I'm afraid it's difficult to disagree; this, speaking as someone who is something of an expert in both behavioural psychology and integrative health and wellness

It cost more tax per person to fund the american system.
LOL whoever sold you that coke you been snorting go ask for a refund.
I am a firm defender of individual responsibility; it is appears however that this principal cannot be universal; the state must be responsible for the administration of certain tasks: laws, defence, welfare and so forth, the market will lead to maximum utility under certain instances, under others I am convinced it is useless.
I thought you meant that destroy the NHS and people will need to pay for private healthcare so they will have a greater incentive to get in shape and lose fat so as to reduce their health risk and so reduce their insurance payments...

That's a good argument. Financial incentives to lose weight a good way to make people lose weight.

You weren't talking about losing weight though... instead you were talking about making people get jobs. I suppose it applies there too.

Of course, as an end in itself that may not be sufficient to counter-act the benefits of having such free healthcare.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by TorpidPhil
I thought you meant that destroy the NHS and people will need to pay for private healthcare so they will have a greater incentive to get in shape and lose fat so as to reduce their health risk and so reduce their insurance payments...

That's a good argument. Financial incentives to lose weight a good way to make people lose weight.

You weren't talking about losing weight though... instead you were talking about making people get jobs. I suppose it applies there too.

Of course, as an end in itself that may not be sufficient to counter-act the benefits of having such free healthcare.

Except it assumes people are rational and will accept the responsibility; when by their own admission the reason we should axe the NHS in the first place is because they are irrational and irresponsible.
Original post by jakeel1
Except it assumes people are rational and will accept the responsibility; when by their own admission the reason we should axe the NHS in the first place is because they are irrational and irresponsible.

There's no overwhelming, indisputable reason why the rational person would care for being obese in this country since they get free healthcare. sure, they still die sooner, still have worse quality of life but both of them would be worse if there was an additional financial incentive took from them for being such.
(edited 9 years ago)
There are so many problems with what you just said that I don't even know where to start. You seem completely naive about the opportunities (or lack of) out there for people, it's not just about motivation.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest