Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Being way more bothered about money than people/love. Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom_Ford)
    As for what I want to do, I want to work in big 4 consultancy for a while
    So get a job in one...?

ReputationRep:

I don't feel at home in the north east and don't think it is the best place for me to succeed. I want to eventually make it to London and be making the big money there.
    Just buy a train ticket it need not be a lifetime mission.

I don't care about money.

To be loved would be the greatest joy on Earth. :daydreaming: Unfortunately I will never have it and money certainly can't buy it.

ReputationRep:
    @Crazystudent

Sounds pretty interesting and awesome. By entrepreneurship I kind of meant, in ultimate future 'self reliance' seeking enterprise, rather than career orientated.

@Tom_ford

Agreed. I noticed mostly europeans also. I think it might be as a result of deriving from an unstable environment, rather than an comfortable environment. How's he getting on with this startup? Making good progress? The other issue seems to be the constant comparison of people with people. That annoys me to hell. People succeed on different scales and at different times.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JulianRothschild)
    @Crazystudent

Sounds pretty interesting and awesome. By entrepreneurship I kind of meant, in ultimate future 'self reliance' seeking enterprise, rather than career orientated.
    A good way to define entrepreneurship. I do definitely seek enterprise and aim for self reliance, and do see traits in myself boasting this sort of behaviour. I also see similar traits in certain friends/acquantances, who definitely persue enterpise over career work naturally.

I think the traits come naturally, as I have been a business owner and have had a career. There are massive pros/cons to both. If you naturally lead, you will have issues with decions going through management/corporate. I have run into circumstances (mostly in sales), where I have overstepped my paygrade, such as offering special services/pricing/promises without consulting a manager/superior. Usually will not result in anything serious/negative if what you have done is legit/profitable (not wreckless), just a reminder to follow proper procedure (run it past a mngr/dept) in future. This can be very limiting and annoying for some people.

Visa versa, if running your own smaller business, you would need to make the decision yourself. It put's a lot more stress on you personally, as it is your business/money on the line, and a single bad decision could affect you much more, wheras it could be absorbed in a larger company.

(Original post by JulianRothschild)
    @Tom_ford

Agreed. I noticed mostly europeans also. I think it might be as a result of deriving from an unstable environment, rather than an comfortable environment. How's he getting on with this startup? Making good progress? The other issue seems to be the constant comparison of people with people. That annoys me to hell. People succeed on different scales and at different times.
    There is the impression of more tech advancement in europe vs the UK, however you need to consider you are comparing the achievements of many countries to one.

I think this is also a big result of the idea of a successful economy via specialization. The EU acting as a free-trading bloc helps facilitate this. This means you can consider each country in the EU as a business, trading and competing with eachother.

Generally, each country will find a specialization route to follow, based on markets/location/education/resources etc. This leads some countries to specialize in certain markets. It is well known germany specializes in manufacture, specifically cars among other things such as tech. The UK is known for dominating the financial services/banking industry. France is known for tech, pharmaceuticals and wine production (although not a massive financial factor).

Each country is generally ranked on exports such as manufacture, transport, energy, tech, communications, travel, tourism, pharma, commodoties, fuel, food etc.

This then leads to export/trade links between countries both inside and outside the EU, and inevitable attracts investment. Investors will target already succesful companies, allowing them to grow. The government will also react based on the success of certain industries, such as modifying tax levels (UK lowering corporation tax to ecourage foreign business to headquarter and bank here), investing/subsidizing such as Germany subsidizing green energy, making it more affordable, and boosting businesses creating it or even changes in the law entirely such as legalization of marijuana, both generally and medically in certain US states, creating a new taxable industry, with revenue from licencing, manufacture, selling etc.

In the UK we do have a budget for tech investment, but it is clear we focus/specialize in financial services, things like massive government bailouts for private banks, and a well sustained AAA 'international credit rating', meaning we are considered a safe country to invest in, and in turn get very low interest rates from investors.

ReputationRep:
    An abundance of money is the one thing that I feel is missing from my life, it honestly hurts my sense of confidence. I do not really feel complete without it. I know that this is the relationship forum, but, I just don't think I can be happy without business success. Seriously, I don't care about people, I have always been way more goal focused and people have just come and gone in my life. But, I have hit an impasse in my life, I am struggling to establish a career after my degree after a lot of hard work.
    It really ****s up the perception of myself, that I am not really as invincible as I once thought I was. And this has been consuming me for months on end.

I don't feel at home in the north east and don't think it is the best place for me to succeed. I want to eventually make it to London and be making the big money there.
    Yeah I know the feeling.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 11, 2015
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.