Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SebCross)
    I think this may just be because of its geographical location. St David's is a gorgeous very very small city (it's the one area of Wales I have been to!) but it's quite far away from anywhere else, really; I think maybe that slight sense of isolation could explain why you think it's maybe not as popular as some other uni's. But try not to focus on that! It's brilliant that you have got offers to study at these places and I'm glad you're putting some thought into what the experience is gonna be like.

I was at the University of Exeter (Streatham Campus, so the one based in Exeter city as opposed to the smaller campus in Falmouth, Cornwall) as a second-year BA History student, having done the equivalent of my first year at another university. I love it down there and remain very very fond of both the city and the people I met down there. It just wasn't really the right time for me to be living away from home, for personal reasons, to be honest. I'm pleased to report that I got along extremely well with my flatmates and some of my coursemates, too, although it was slow-going and hard work socially to begin with. I think this is entirely normal for freshers, though

What're you gonna be studying?
    The campus of trinity st davids that I plan to study at is in Swansea - I have been there before and it is such a lovely town, we usually go on holiday there literally every year! I have spoken to a few people that I have found on social networking sites about the university and they say it is great So if I don't receive any other offers then I shall be choosing this university, it is 5 hours away from home though. But it's a risk I have to take It is a very nice place to live though I do agree! University of Worcester have asked me to create a further admissions essay for them on Psychology, which I actually sent today, so fingers crossed I receive another offer from them

That is a very popular university that you went too, I am glad you enjoyed the time that you experienced there! I guess it is harder for mature students though as they have more commitments at home etc. Did you join many societies ? That is good to know I was so worried about not getting along with flat mates and I am hoping to request actually being put with people similar to my age. Overall, I am really looking forward to experiencing it all and meeting lots of new people

I am going to study counselling studies and psychology which I am extremely excited about!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amieyxox)
    The campus of trinity st davids that I plan to study at is in Swansea - I have been there before and it is such a lovely town, we usually go on holiday there literally every year! I have spoken to a few people that I have found on social networking sites about the university and they say it is great So if I don't receive any other offers then I shall be choosing this university, it is 5 hours away from home though. But it's a risk I have to take It is a very nice place to live though I do agree! University of Worcester have asked me to create a further admissions essay for them on Psychology, which I actually sent today, so fingers crossed I receive another offer from them

That is a very popular university that you went too, I am glad you enjoyed the time that you experienced there! I guess it is harder for mature students though as they have more commitments at home etc. Did you join many societies ? That is good to know I was so worried about not getting along with flat mates and I am hoping to request actually being put with people similar to my age. Overall, I am really looking forward to experiencing it all and meeting lots of new people

I am going to study counselling studies and psychology which I am extremely excited about!
    Awesome! Yeah, I'm confident you're gonna have a great time! I too have heard good things about Swansea, as both a uni' and a city, yeah! Yes, long story short I am now continuing my studies through the Open University from home, now, which I think is gonna suit me much much better Do you know anything about the types of accommodation that's available at the campus and that sort of thing? Yeah, I joined a fair few societies at Exeter, which was cool; as most people will tell you, societies are one of the main ways you'll make friends - so it's well worth making an effort and maybe even joining some ones that seem a bit quirky or different to what you'd usually be interested in.

ReputationRep:
    Awesome! Yeah, I'm confident you're gonna have a great time! I too have heard good things about Swansea, as both a uni' and a city, yeah! Yes, long story short I am now continuing my studies through the Open University from home, now, which I think is gonna suit me much much better Do you know anything about the types of accommodation that's available at the campus and that sort of thing? Yeah, I joined a fair few societies at Exeter, which was cool; as most people will tell you, societies are one of the main ways you'll make friends - so it's well worth making an effort and maybe even joining some ones that seem a bit quirky or different to what you'd usually be interested in.
    Fingers crossed I have had a look about the accommodation, but I don't really know much about it yet as their website doesn't offer that much information. I am looking about having an en suite one! Did you like your accommodation ? that is true, I do plan to join lots of different ones, which should be good brilliant, thanks for the chat about it

ReputationRep:
    A lot has to do with your accommodation, I didn't properly research mine before going and ended up in a flat of four with people who didn't party or drink alcohol so freshers week was terrible spent on my own. Made friends in other flats but certainly crapped on my expectations.

Making friends from your course is most easiest done at society socials.

For me uni isn't how everyone makes out, certainly isn't the 'best time of my life' but that's mainly down to my accommodation that has ruined the whole experience for me and made me feel crap about uni.

Other than that, there's a lot of work but in the first semester you can do the minimal but there's definitely more work than people make out.

Lectures go fast usually but if you're lucky they'll be podcast online so you don't even need to go in which helps if they are morning ones.

Uni for me has been a lot like college but with more partying and less work.

It might also help if you only do a single degree as I do a joint one and it means making solid friendships is more difficult as you don't spend so much time with the same people and they end up making friends with those who they study most with.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RD208)
    I have this problem as well. Pretty much as a crossroads in terms of wanting to make friends with similar interests and still having those from early in the year, who have little else in common with me apart from the subject we study. I want to drift but I don't want them to get pissed off and think I think I can do better than them.
    You can have alternative groups if you like.........so these guys in class and others outside of class. A lot of people did have these other groups.
    You don't necessarily drift away to be honest......you can hang around with them during class time.

ReputationRep:
    first semester was a blast, meeting everyone, joining societies and clubbing. This fortnight is all about the exams so still waiting to see what this semester brings

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amieyxox)
    Fingers crossed I have had a look about the accommodation, but I don't really know much about it yet as their website doesn't offer that much information. I am looking about having an en suite one! Did you like your accommodation ? that is true, I do plan to join lots of different ones, which should be good brilliant, thanks for the chat about it
    You're very welcome Yeah I was based in en-suite accommodation as well which worked really really well for me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by georgiachurchill)
    I have applied for university and received 4 offers so far. I really want to go uni but I'm worried what its going to be like. Could anyone help me out and tell me their experiences.
    It's great being at university, as there are loads of opportunities to meet new people and make new friends. Having independence and freedom to make your own choices and do your own thing is also really good. However, just make sure that the course you've applied to do is definitely what you want to do, because if you get there and find that it's not right for you/wasn't what you thought it was going to be, it starts to get quite complicated. Overall though, it's definitely worth doing. Plus most universities have loads of societies that you can join, which is also great.

ReputationRep:
    May I ask where you applied to/what subject?
    I have applied to Canterbury Christ church (the one I'm waiting for), Bath spa, Winchester, Gloucestershire and Greenwich (which I have offers for). Subject wise I'm doing creative writing ad English literature.

ReputationRep:
    I have applied to Canterbury Christ church (the one I'm waiting for), Bath spa, Winchester, Gloucestershire and Greenwich (which I have offers for). Subject wise I'm doing creative writing ad English literature.
    Nice! Long ago (well, not that long) I took up a place at UEA on their American Literature & Creative Writing course. Sadly, it wasn't quite for me, but I think you'll really really enjoy studying the discipline at university The workshops and seminars for your writing, in particular, will be of enormous value.

ReputationRep:
    Oh no really! yeah I'm pretty sure about my choice, all I ever wanted to do was to be able to study these two subjects ☺

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Oh no really! yeah I'm pretty sure about my choice, all I ever wanted to do was to be able to study these two subjects ☺

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Cool. Well things're going better for me now as I've rediscovered my ever-present love of History so I'm now taking that onto the next stage, finishing up my degree with the Open University. Happy days.

ReputationRep:
    As others have said, it's different for everyone and really depends on your circumstances. Unfortunately, I've had two negative experiences with uni, but I don't drink or party so that's probably why I have struggled so much to make friends. I started at Nottingham Uni but was doing the wrong course and got generally very unlucky with friendships, so I left after 2 months. I'm now at UCL and whilst it was quite good at first, I'm now in my second year and not enjoying it. But I've had a lot of problems at home as well and, as I've said, I don't drink or party so that can limit opportunities to make friends. I'm mainly focusing on my course now which, thankfully, I enjoy, and as others have said, I spend a lot of time whiling away my time on YouTube and Netflix haha :P Uni is fun and exciting for plenty of people and I think it would have been for me too if I hadn't had bad luck stacked on bad luck. Good luck with it though - most people love it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IAmAStegosaurus)
    As others have said, it's different for everyone and really depends on your circumstances. Unfortunately, I've had two negative experiences with uni, but I don't drink or party so that's probably why I have struggled so much to make friends. I started at Nottingham Uni but was doing the wrong course and got generally very unlucky with friendships, so I left after 2 months. I'm now at UCL and whilst it was quite good at first, I'm now in my second year and not enjoying it. But I've had a lot of problems at home as well and, as I've said, I don't drink or party so that can limit opportunities to make friends. I'm mainly focusing on my course now which, thankfully, I enjoy, and as others have said, I spend a lot of time whiling away my time on YouTube and Netflix haha :P Uni is fun and exciting for plenty of people and I think it would have been for me too if I hadn't had bad luck stacked on bad luck. Good luck with it though - most people love it!
    :rolleyes: how is UCL generally may i ask? Because i''m going to UCL for Economics in september Does UCL have many international student ? do they speak their own languages or just English as i''m from a not-well-known country in Asia, i'm afraid i cannot make friend.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IAmAStegosaurus)
    What were the students like at Nottingham? Did the university live up to the high reputation?

ReputationRep:
    I'll some it up in these three words which is what uni is life so far for me ; different, stressful and life-changing.

ReputationRep:
    lets say tescos is your best friend in college

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RussMack)
    This thread has definitely given me more confidence about going to uni in September, I'm a bit scared of going to uni and living with my head in a book with the hope to pass each module

Posted from TSR Mobile
    the work is ****ing solid, don't be mistaken. the lecturer's go through stuff extremely quickly, and almost assume that you understand it. Granted, you will have tutorials/seminars to discuss your problems, but definitely stay on top of things right from the word Go. don't do nothing then try and cram everything into 2 weeks before your exam, it won't work.

ReputationRep:
    It's very overrated to be honest. I like living away from home, have met a lot of people but wouldn't necessarily class many as friends, and don't really get on with my flatmates. We just didn't click, and before I started that was the worst thing I could've imagined happening. So much of university is due to luck I've found, so my situation is different from a lot of people's. Also, my loan is the minimum so is a few hundred short of covering accommodation, so all food and nights out comes from my savings. Since Christmas, my contact hours have pretty much halved to 7 hours, which frustrates me so much as my course (psychology) is basically just subsidising other degrees - 9k a year for 7 hours a week and they don't even provide handouts!
    I'd say I'm still glad I came though. Working in a supermarket on my gap year made me realise that I needed to actually do something, and I'd take this over that any day!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by than4711)
    :rolleyes: how is UCL generally may i ask? Because i''m going to UCL for Economics in september Does UCL have many international student ? do they speak their own languages or just English as i''m from a not-well-known country in Asia, i'm afraid i cannot make friend.
    Hi, I really do love UCL as a university, despite the fact I haven't found it easy to make friends. It's got an amazing atmosphere, a fantastic library, a good student union (plenty of clubs and societies to choose from) and yes, it is very international (around 40% international I believe), and most students do speak English. As long as you're open and friendly, you should have no problems making friends. Good luck with it!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.