The Student Room Group

How do you feel about the 'Fat Acceptance' movement?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SiminaM
I agree that insulting people for being fat is a bad thing. But that is as far as it should go imo. Being fat is not ok imo.

Fat people shouldn't be 'accepted' as fat people they should be encouraged to lose weight/become fit/live healthier. In a respectful manner.

Very sensible reply.

Too many people have a lack of basic knowledge. E. G. My parents are overweight but eat healthy food. They just eat twice what they should. Portion size lesson and they're both losing weight.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Smaug123
Are you aware of how difficult it is for some people to lose weight? Literally billions of years have gone into forging an organism whose primary goal is to reproduce, and whose secondary goal is to eat as much as possible. There are some pretty powerful mechanisms in place to make it really hard to lose weight. Yes, it's a "self-control problem" if you insist on phrasing it like that, but it requires a close-to-inhuman amount of self-control to overcome it if you're one of the unlucky ones (see paragraph 3).

Imagine a world in which humans live to 100 if they don't drink any liquids, and only to 20 if they drink more than a litre of liquid in any given year. (Yes, that's not a thing, but imagine we're in that world.) Then try and give up drinking water. I imagine the biological mechanisms which lead us to crave water would start kicking in pretty rapidly, and after seven days of intolerable thirst, you'd drink. Repeat for the next week. And the next. And the next. Look who's ended up costing the NHS huge sums of money to keep them alive past 20 when "it's just a self-control problem!"

Additionally, some people are simply less prone to addiction of all kinds than others. Some people just get addicted to things at the drop of a hat - they got unlucky in the dopamine-receptors draw when the sperm met the egg. Consider that maybe you are one of the lucky ones, either on the addiction front or on the desire-for-food front.

Noone finds it easy to lose weight. It's tough. I find it tough. It sucks. I'm constantly hungry. I eat things that are less tasty then what I want to eat. It's not that I don't get that dopamine rush from the nice food, I do. I just get that instead from other things because I'm not a wild animal.

And your water analogy is completely moronic. Sorry but it is. That's like people needing oxygen to breath. A better analogy could be drinking alcohol or smoking cigarettes and getting addicted though. Try that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
There's no objective definition of 'fat', so it's difficult to know exactly where those railing against 'fat acceptance' draw the line.

I think it's a bad idea to send out the message that it's okay to binge eat and that there's no need for self-improvement. But equally I think it needs to be based around a concept of health, not judging people for its own sake.
Original post by Octohedral
Isolating people who eat because they feel isolated won't help anything.

It comes down to how you can teach someone self-discipline. Do you support and encourage them, or not? Some ideas:

1. Force them to do it when young.
I mean the British public school type physical education. This is free, and there is no reason why it shouldn't be implemented in state schools. At the very least, all children without medical conditions should be made to run regularly.
2. I wouldn't mind health warnings on junk food. Anyone who wants to eat it still can, but even skinny people could benefit from knowing what it's doing to their heart.
3. Books and TV programmes already 'teach' us about how we are supposed to behave (sometimes patronisingly). There's a propaganda machine already in place - why not put in some motivational and realistic stories about kids / adults transforming their lives? It could be simple (Tim the bullied fat boy trains in secret until he's really fit and gets a girlfriend) or something like the Karate Kid, but more achievable. Instead of having magically skinny celebrities, advertise what they do to keep fit.
4. Make 5k races etc less of a 'niche' thing. As well as the London marathon, have small races that everyone can enjoy, and publicise them as things you can take your children to.
5. 'Healthy' fast food. I don't mean carrots and lettuce, I mean pasta bake, homemade curry and soup. Decent, filling food that has a couple of nutrients in it somewhere. I would actually choose to buy that over chips, and it's so cheap to make.

4, parkrun, it's great. Please go read more about it.

5, subway is probably the best thing atm.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I domt think being fat is a good thing, people who are actually fat should be encouraged to lose weight, not told it is okay, because it's not healthy.

However, if you are of a healthy weight that's alright and acceptance of all healthy body types is great, I'm glad that more people are accepting bodies aside from "perfect figures"

Posted from TSR Mobile
The biggest problem is fat parents passing on their eating habits to their impressionable children. That's the #1 reason why fat acceptance is a disgusting movement.
Reply 46
bloatas gonna bloat.....
Original post by bertstare
The biggest problem is fat parents passing on their eating habits to their impressionable children. That's the #1 reason why fat acceptance is a disgusting movement.

Another good point. They then use their fat kids to prove it's genetic when it's just poor parenting.

Posted from TSR Mobile
There should also be a "Skinny and all other body types that are healthy acceptance" movement
Original post by Motorbiker
Noone finds it easy to lose weight. It's tough. I find it tough. It sucks. I'm constantly hungry. I eat things that are less tasty then what I want to eat. It's not that I don't get that dopamine rush from the nice food, I do. I just get that instead from other things because I'm not a wild animal.

And your water analogy is completely moronic. Sorry but it is. That's like people needing oxygen to breath. A better analogy could be drinking alcohol or smoking cigarettes and getting addicted though. Try that.

The analogy I had in mind while writing was NoFap, but I vetoed that. Substitute "masturbation" for "water", then.

However, I don't really see what's different about the analogies, other than closeness-to-state-of-the-world: we all need food to survive, but too much is bad. Likewise, we all might need water to survive, but in this scenario, too much is bad. (Sorry, I'm a mathematician, and therefore trained in entertaining bizarre hypotheticals.)

By the way, I find it easy to lose weight, but then I not infrequently simply forget to eat. I'm decidedly blessed on that front. (Not intended as a "hah I'm better than you" or whatever - just as a counterexample to "no-one finds it easy to lose weight".)
These sort of threads mostly attract hateful comments and very little constructive discussion so I dunno what the point of them is.
It's idiotic (and damaging). The movement was simply started by people too lazy to lose weight, so they decided to try and make it 'acceptable' to be fat instead. How is fat acceptance going to help the problem? How will that encourage people to lose weight?

Obesity is an unnecessary health risk that puts a strain on public healthcare which we have to pay for with our taxes. I'd rather my money went to a kid with a broken leg than some slob who spent too much time at McDonald's. For most people, being fat is a choice. Society should not have to accommodate that.

If you want medical treatment for toomuchcheeseburgeritis, pay for it with health insurance. And don't expect other people to accept your poor lifestyle choices.

EDIT: I'm not saying leave the fatties to die after the inevitable cardiac arrest; I'm saying the public shouldn't have to pay for their lengthy weight loss programs, especially if they're making no apparent effort to lose the weight.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Cornelius
These sort of threads mostly attract hateful comments and very little constructive discussion so I dunno what the point of them is.

Tbh this seems to be getting reasonable replies imo.
Original post by Octohedral
Isolating people who eat because they feel isolated won't help anything.

It comes down to how you can teach someone self-discipline. Do you support and encourage them, or not? Some ideas:

1. Force them to do it when young.
I mean the British public school type physical education. This is free, and there is no reason why it shouldn't be implemented in state schools. At the very least, all children without medical conditions should be made to run regularly.
2. I wouldn't mind health warnings on junk food. Anyone who wants to eat it still can, but even skinny people could benefit from knowing what it's doing to their heart.
3. Books and TV programmes already 'teach' us about how we are supposed to behave (sometimes patronisingly). There's a propaganda machine already in place - why not put in some motivational and realistic stories about kids / adults transforming their lives? It could be simple (Tim the bullied fat boy trains in secret until he's really fit and gets a girlfriend) or something like the Karate Kid, but more achievable. Instead of having magically skinny celebrities, advertise what they do to keep fit.
4. Make 5k races etc less of a 'niche' thing. As well as the London marathon, have small races that everyone can enjoy, and publicise them as things you can take your children to.
5. 'Healthy' fast food. I don't mean carrots and lettuce, I mean pasta bake, homemade curry and soup. Decent, filling food that has a couple of nutrients in it somewhere. I would actually choose to buy that over chips, and it's so cheap to make.

Story of Tim is my story, didn't work pdychologically though because now I'm.a hypochondriac with body fat% neurosis who thinkd I need a certain physique to be attractive anf successful. Needs more subtlety.

otherwise good points
I am not skinny myself, but I feel ''fat acceptance'' is a stupid movement. I don't believe people should be bullied/targeted for their weight at all, but society shouldn't be having these campaigns where "hey fat is OKAY!" cause it really ******* isn't.

I plan to lose weight and I encourage any fat person who wants "fat acceptance" who is capable of losing weight, to actually do the same thing.
Original post by reallydontknow
I domt think being fat is a good thing, people who are actually fat should be encouraged to lose weight, not told it is okay, because it's not healthy.

However, if you are of a healthy weight that's alright and acceptance of all healthy body types is great, I'm glad that more people are accepting bodies aside from "perfect figures"

Posted from TSR Mobile

This
Original post by reallydontknow

Posted from TSR Mobile

-THIS confuse health and NHS resources.with body image and you replace q physical.health problem.with one about mental health
Its a bad thing to be honest because fat isnt an aesthetic thats just there, its something we directly affect and it can pose major health threat to people
Reply 57
It's actually a large percentage of the NHSs costs and increasing every year.

And those are topics for other debates you're free to start separate threads on. :wink:

You raised the issue of "fairness". I was simply pointing out that life is rarely fair.
Original post by JC.
You raised the issue of "fairness". I was simply pointing out that life is rarely fair.

Tbh I don't really care about the NHS money personally that much.

The fact that the movement can encourage people to stay put putting their health in danger generally pisses me off more.

Dying young ftl.
Very sensible reply.

Too many people have a lack of basic knowledge. E. G. My parents are overweight but eat healthy food. They just eat twice what they should. Portion size lesson and they're both losing weight.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah that's a message that needs to be put across. Portion size is important. I know a lot of people who say they've eaten XYZ healthy foods but they've just eaten too much of it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending