Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

TSR is a forum where males are more vocal, and abuse/sexism/arrogance is rewarded? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    What do you think?

I have noticed that responses to most threads, apart from the degree/ offer holder/ job threads, posts start off being quite respectful, sociable and reasonable, and then the same names appear, and give their arrogant, narcissistic, self-centered, 'logical' and judgmental opinions. They are always male, always white, usually heterosexual. It's almost like a mental illness a lot of them have. I say white because most people in UK are white, and most users are from UK, and many of them have photos of themselves. But not always white(!).

I've also noticed that they tend to dominate discussions on TSR. The same few boys/ young men appear everywhere, they are abusive, rude and dismissive and literally have acquired 'legend' status because of it. Does anyone else find this disturbing. I am new to TSR, why is this? Is this a thing you all know about?

Also, I see the word sexist and misandry being used a lot, against the female posters who are brave enough to actually speak. This is something I've not encountered irl and my friendship group is mixed! Who are these boys/men? And why does everyone accept their abuse? I've literally watched threads descend into hatred, female posters being attacked for the views, or male posters saying the same thing, after abusing them, and being congratulated for their insight.

I feel like there's something I'm missing Is there rule about males/females on here? Why are people so rude here?

I thought about leaving because, was quite shocked, but you can't leave.There is no deactivate button? So would love to hear from people and your views, especially posters that don't usually post at all or feel silenced.

Thanks
    I think you'll find it's not just this forum, it's just the Internet in general

TBH, this forum is nowhere near as bad as most of the Internet
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    What do you think?

I have noticed that responses to most threads, apart from the degree/ offer holder/ job threads, posts start off being quite respectful, sociable and reasonable, and then the same names appear, and give their arrogant, narcissistic, self-centered, 'logical' and judgmental opinions. They are always male, always white, usually heterosexual. It's almost like a mental illness a lot of them have. I say white because most people in UK are white, and most users are from UK, and many of them have photos of themselves. But not always white(!).

I've also noticed that they tend to dominate discussions on TSR. The same few boys/ young men appear everywhere, they are abusive, rude and dismissive and literally have acquired 'legend' status because of it. Does anyone else find this disturbing. I am new to TSR, why is this? Is this a thing you all know about?

Also, I see the word sexist and misandry being used a lot, against the female posters who are brave enough to actually speak. This is something I've not encountered irl and my friendship group is mixed! Who are these boys/men? And why does everyone accept their abuse? I've literally watched threads descend into hatred, female posters being attacked for the views, or male posters saying the same thing, after abusing them, and being congratulated for their insight.

I feel like there's something I'm missing Is there rule about males/females on here? Why are people so rude here?

I thought about leaving because, was quite shocked, but you can't leave.There is no deactivate button? So would love to hear from people and your views, especially posters that don't usually post at all or feel silenced.

Thanks
    That is partially true, but there are also fortunately plenty of people who aren't insane and argue back or simply ignore them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zKlown)
    I think you'll find it's not just this forum, it's just the Internet in general

TBH, this forum is nowhere near as bad as most of the Internet
    That's probably because it's mostly British as opposed to other forums which are American dominated. We are a little more progressive than them on average.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely.

Couldn't have worded it better myself.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    There are certainly some members who appear disrespectful and arrogant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    you are in for a treat

there are other excellent lady posters too. also some moderaters ?
    Precious illusions sits on the fence a lot... And so does Maid Marian, don't know where you got that from.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Twinpeaks)
    Precious illusions sits on the fence a lot... And so does Maid Marian, don't know where you got that from.
    I don't think I've seen either of those posters directly engage with the kind of person OP is talking about. I'm sure they have, but IDK if they do it enough to really be brought up :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Although I completely disapprove of unnecessarily maliciousness (virtual or otherwise), I din't understand why people place so much weight on the views of one irrelevant person on a forum, to me they're too insignificant to take seriously.

I'd hate to think people get seriously emotionally affected by the bile some people write on here

ReputationRep:
    some awful generalisations there. If a guy said some of the things you said he'd be lambasted whereas you're not getting anything bad. It's not just the women who are victims

ReputationRep:
    What I don't understand is why the guys who've never had a girlfriend start perpetuating misogyny on here anyway? With an attitude like that towards women, aren't they just reducing their chances of getting a girlfriend anyway?

I know I, and many (if not most) other girls on this forum, would never go for guys with that attitude towards women.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peaches and Cream)
    What I don't understand is why the guys who've never had a girlfriend start perpetuating misogyny on here anyway? With an attitude like that towards women, aren't they just reducing their chances of getting a girlfriend anyway?

I know I, and many (if not most) other girls on this forum, would never go for guys with that attitude towards women.
    As they write with a pseudonym, they don't reduce their chances.

ReputationRep:

(Original post by SmashConcept)
    I don't think I've seen either of those posters directly engage with the kind of person OP is talking about. I'm sure they have, but IDK if they do it enough to really be brought up :confused:
    You're both right, I tend to ignore such discussions/people as I cba with any sort of confrontation online :confused:

ReputationRep:
    I'd be very wary in generalising the way you do in the OP. This is an internet forum, with a high level of anonymity, populated by people who are still developing their ideas and views towards the world. Conflicts are inevitable, and should be expected.

The problem is when people take vocal disagreements to be a sign of 'misogyny' (a term which has become completely nonsensical due to misuse) and other hyperbolic terms, as well as when (as you do in the OP) generalisations start to be made in terms of posters being white, male, british or whatever. Engage and debate with the posts they make, rather than judging them solely on who they are as a person (a factor they can't help!).

Similarly, if you start assuming the forums are hives of misogyny and abuse, then your confirmation bias will inevitably 'prove' you right when you see any vocal disagreements. Don't develop a victim complex.

If a post is truly abusive, misogynistic or whatever, then report it. The moderators will decide whether you're right or not.

Many of the most eminent posters are ladies. Precious Illusions and Maid Marian for instance. They give as good as they get.
    you are in for a treat

there are other excellent lady posters too. also some moderaters ?
    Oh, Bear! :fan:
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    I used to let it get to me when I first joined. Especially on days when there are several threads of a nasty nature. At times I would post in them, debating the issues, but I soon found out that it was pointless. So, now I just stick to areas of the forum that are more light-hearted, or where you can have good debates, sometimes even a bit heated, but not of the kind that make me want to quit the website and seek refuge in cute kitten pictures or something.

There are a lot of nice people on TSR. It can be a fun place, and a helpful place, and there are definitely a lot of positives to be found. As with any online community, though, there are always some members who will frustrate you, and who you'll soon find it's not worth responding to. But then, sometimes they can surprise you. I received the most splendid insult a while ago by this poster who had put a lot of thought and effort into it, and it actually made me smile. And a few weeks later we happened to be in agreement about something.

I recommend just finding a balance. It's probably best to not click on threads that are likely to annoy you. And it's also good to remember that what people say and do online is pretty meaningless when you look at the bigger picture. Just find a way to enjoy the site on your own terms, and you're likely to find like-minded posters to have a good time with, or posters who you don't agree with, but who are open to a proper debate.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think posting an opinion anonymously on an internet forum really classes as 'bravery'.

And, please, disagreeing with some of the political tripe on this forum doesn't make us the bad guys (and don't lump us all together, either).

Furthermore, nobody is being "silenced." This is an open forum where anybody is free to debate and express their views. In the debate section, people are going to challenge you on what you say - it's not the 'post your opinions and have everybody agree with you' forum. You're being somewhat pathetic and self-righteous here.

ReputationRep:
    Incorrect terminology there. So many people use 'ad hominem' when they've no idea what it means.
    The fallacy fallacy.

ReputationRep:
    What do you think?

Thanks
    Political correctness in Britain has gone to such stupid lengths that people use the Internet to vent about it and go to the opposite extreme. E.g. We need to go back to a racial hierarchy. One feels
    A need to do this in the face of this ridiculous political correctness e.g. Ignoring Pakistani pedophiles out of fear of being called racists. It's just a way to throw eggs at typical P.C. Council minded twits.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xoflower)
    lol especially black girls... I remember this place used to have at least 3 threads on why we are ugly.
    Oh god yeah, and also the constantly reoccurring 'why can't black people swim' Sigh...

If you aren't a white cos male this place is very unwelcoming.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Catholic_)
    Then you woke up.
    Just out of interest are you a man by any chance?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 4, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.