Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How to deal with overprotective muslim parents? watch

ReputationRep:
    ****ed if I know, tentatively? :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    How would I deal with overprotective muslim parents

I am 24 and wanted to go travelling by myself however they basically said No.

I wanted to go Shisha and they said No.

If I am late out at night they are texting me and calling me to find out where I am.

How would I stop them from behaving this way?
    With parents you have to build a relationship of trust and that is key! so you should question yourself that have you ever done anything major that might have hurt them? If you can say NO to that and then you clear cut said to your parents about shisha then put yourself in their shoes and just think that would you let your child do that? I know we live in a western world but there are some things that sometimes you might have to sacrifice for your parents sake and that doesn't mean you become a sheep but maybe co-operate with them as they want what is best for you! xxxxx

ReputationRep:
    I was going to say pretend to go to Mecca then go traveling but they'de probably want to come with you/view you receipts and such anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mangolegs)
    No muslim parents are a whole new level of overprotective. At 24 most other families are laid back. I don't know why people are so ignorant about the reality of this culture. They don't want you to do it full stop they don't want you to move out and get involved in western culture. Its nothing to do with manning up and all of this bs. Some are heavily controlling. Just do some research you will see for yourself.
    When their kid is twenty-four, it doesn't matter what parents want, you can just do it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skip_Snip)
    When their kid is twenty-four, it doesn't matter what parents want, you can just do it.
    Ignorance is bliss...

ReputationRep:
    Ignorance is bliss...
    Why am I ignorant? Unless they were brought up to be big babies, they can do as they please.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skip_Snip)
    Why am I ignorant? Unless they were brought up to be big babies, they can do as they please.
    Because you're not acknowledging the explanations for it. Not gonna bother conversing with ignorant people. Bye.

ReputationRep:
    Because you're not acknowledging the explanations for it. Not gonna bother conversing with ignorant people. Bye.
    The "explanations" can be waved away by saying "I am an adult".

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 9, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.