Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

What do you usually have for dinner? (students ONLY!) watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Mystery meat and some cheetos yo. I joke of course

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TimmonaPortella)
    I often make curry. It works out really cheap for me, because, since I bought a 5 kg bag a couple of months ago (for £5), I never have to pay for rice. You can make a pretty nice thai one with nothing more than some onion, limes, ginger, garlic, chillies, lemongrass if you can find it, and coconut milk.

Otherwise I just fry a piece of fish or meat and make some chips in the oven :dontknow: Or if I'm feeling particularly healthy just make more rice and add soy sauce. One thing in particular I do is put pesto with salmon. I don't know if that's generally recognised as a thing or not but it works really well.
    I think buying rice in bulk is a false economy when it's already really cheap. It's the meat that makes it expensive. It would probably also work out cheaper for you if you used a jar of sauce.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foo.mp3)
    I've flu and have reduced appetite/messed up timings :sick:

It's already upset, so I figure a little comfort food can't hurt :dontknow:

Low carb e.g. broccoli / chick peas + roast chicken (usually cold, out of fridge). My system is a little sensitive as I have ME/CFS, hence the slightly bizarre standard dinner (minimises sleep disturbance). For meals earlier in the day I'll tend to have things like microwaved jacket spuds with the chicken, or a chicken mayo sammich (wheat free bread), or occasionally cook a home made chicken curry that will last for days, tubbed up, in the fridge
    Your sickness is not a justification for your extremely poor diet. Do you want to spend your elderly age regretting your diet? Too much meat, not enough veggies/fruits.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juichiro)
    Your sickness is not a justification for your extremely poor diet. Do you want to spend your elderly age regretting your diet? Too much meat, not enough veggies/fruits.
    Thanks for the concern. I also have carrot, lettuce, tomato, currants, the odd banana, plus multivitamins

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the concern. I also have carrot, lettuce, tomato, currants, the odd banana, plus multivitamins
    You need more fruits. Multivitamin pills are ****. Get the real stuff. Raw.

ReputationRep:
    I have allergies/intolerances unfortunately

ReputationRep:
    I have allergies/intolerances unfortunately
    Intolerance to fruits but not to junk food?

ReputationRep:
    Intolerance to fruits but not to junk food?
    Yup

ReputationRep:
    Pasta bake dishes, bolognese dishes, home made soups (actually very cheap to make and batch cook), east asian dishes such as noodles and stir frys. I actually cook and eat very cheap. Most often eat really quite healthily (though still tasty). Though this week I've lost my appetite so mainly been snacking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by littleone271)
    I think buying rice in bulk is a false economy when it's already really cheap. It's the meat that makes it expensive. It would probably also work out cheaper for you if you used a jar of sauce.
    It doesn't. They're like £2. And they're are incredibly bland. I used them for a while before figuring out it's really not hard to make something a lot better.

It's not really a false economy to buy rice in bulk. It might not be a huge saving, but it's still a saving, and you don't lose anything.

ReputationRep:
    I eat LOADS of vegetables, but I must admit I very rarely eat fruit. Like maybe an orange every couple of months. Don't really know why. Not much of a sweet person I guess.

ReputationRep:
    Past couple of weeks: nothing - odd bits of fruits and stuff. No time xD student life

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't. They're like £2. And they're are incredibly bland. I used them for a while before figuring out it's really not hard to make something a lot better.

It's not really a false economy to buy rice in bulk. It might not be a huge saving, but it's still a saving, and you don't lose anything.
    You're shopping in the wrong places then and buying the wrong sauces! I always buy whatever sauce is on offer for like £1 and it's never bland. I know a restaurant that makes really nice curry that loads of people order and they use pataks madras sauce and chuck some cream in. With jars of sauce you can leave them in the cupboard for ages too.

Takes up a lot of space though right? I'd rather lose a teeny weeny bit of money than lug home a massive heavy bag of rice that I have no room for in my cupboard.

ReputationRep:
    You're shopping in the wrong places then and buying the wrong sauces! I always buy whatever sauce is on offer for like £1 and it's never bland. I know a restaurant that makes really nice curry that loads of people order and they use pataks madras sauce and chuck some cream in. With jars of sauce you can leave them in the cupboard for ages too.

Takes up a lot of space though right? I'd rather lose a teeny weeny bit of money than lug home a massive heavy bag of rice that I have no room for in my cupboard.
    My kitchen has sufficient cupboard space that it's not an issue. If space is an issue for you then obviously don't buy a big bag.

I'm not buying the wrong sauces, I've tried pretty much all of the popular ones. I find them bland. Certainly nothing like as good as if you buy actual chillies and spices and make it yourself. On that I suppose we'll just have to agree to disagree. I've never heard of an Indian restaurant using shop-bought sauces. Seems to me to defeat the purpose.

ReputationRep:
    My kitchen has sufficient cupboard space that it's not an issue. If space is an issue for you then obviously don't buy a big bag.

I'm not buying the wrong sauces, I've tried pretty much all of the popular ones. I find them bland. Certainly nothing like as good as if you buy actual chillies and spices and make it yourself. On that I suppose we'll just have to agree to disagree. I've never heard of an Indian restaurant using shop-bought sauces. Seems to me to defeat the purpose.
    Yes we will have to agree to disagree. I like very spicy curries but I would just add a few cubes of frozen chopped chilli.

It wasn't an Indian restaurant, just a pub/restaurant where curry is an option but it does taste really good and you'd never guess it was from a jar. The Sharwoods chicken tikka masala sauce definitely can't be described as bland.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah agree w/ all that. Using spices is always better than jarred stuff (and more fun too).

I reckon all things considered (cooking in bulk & freezing in foil containers, how often you replace a 100g pouch of turmeric/chilli powder/whatever spices you use) it's not even cheaper to use jarred stuff. Fair enough if you're only cooking once or don't cook curries often it's a relatively expensive initial outlay to buy all the stuff and make it from scratch, but if you do them regularly you get a lot more bang for your buck with spices.

ReputationRep:
    I try to live on 50p-£1 per day, so tend to only have one, somewhat large meal in the evenings.

Pasta with some chopped tomatoes tends to only cost me 25p per meal, and some extra strong cheese will last about 10 meals at £2, so that's just 45p.

Asda sell 8 chicken burgers for 99p, and frozen chips for 80p - that's around 50p a meal.

There's also a nice pasta sauce in aldi for only 60p, and it tends to last me 4 meals, so that's also about 25p.

ReputationRep:
    er my dad cooks for me like I'm 12 lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilfred Little)
    Yeah agree w/ all that. Using spices is always better than jarred stuff (and more fun too).

I reckon all things considered (cooking in bulk & freezing in foil containers, how often you replace a 100g pouch of turmeric/chilli powder/whatever spices you use) it's not even cheaper to use jarred stuff. Fair enough if you're only cooking once or don't cook curries often it's a relatively expensive initial outlay to buy all the stuff and make it from scratch, but if you do them regularly you get a lot more bang for your buck with spices.
    It's a lot cheaper to use jars of sauces than it is to buy fresh vegetables, herbs, cream, coconut milk etc. every time you make a curry. If you just use spices you already have and tinned tomatoes or something then that would be cheaper but personally I think it tastes very cheap and defeats the object. If I'm going to cook something from scratch properly then I'd want it to be as close as possible to restaurant quality or I don't see the point..

ReputationRep:
    It's a lot cheaper to use jars of sauces than it is to buy fresh vegetables, herbs, cream, coconut milk etc. every time you make a curry. If you just use spices you already have and tinned tomatoes or something then that would be cheaper but personally I think it tastes very cheap and defeats the object. If I'm going to cook something from scratch properly then I'd want it to be as close as possible to restaurant quality or I don't see the point..
    Only if you only have curry every now and again, but if it is main staple f your diet and you eat it at least 2-3 times a week then buying jars would be a heck of a lot more expensive. I'd question if you've ever had a freshly made from scratch curry before. Not meaning to sound insulting but I can't understand for the life of me how you could say jars are just as good/not bland in comparison to fresh made in previous posts unless jars are pretty much all you've ever had.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.