Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is £100 a week good? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Balloon Baboon)
    And what kind of career do you hope to gain from that course, post-degree?
    Enter into Secondary Music PGCE or Further education Lecturing as a Music Lecturer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by O.Ozz)
    Enter into Secondary Music PGCE or Further education Lecturing as a Music Lecturer
    So you're going to do a seperate PGCE?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by O.Ozz)
    NO!

GO to UNI. apprenticeships are cult business to fool young people.
    Like other people have said. This isnt true.
    If uni is that amazing- then how come plenty of uni graduates cant find a job??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Balloon Baboon)
    So you're going to do a seperate PGCE?
    yep

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by O.Ozz)
    Excuse me? i might be harsh but it's truth. Everyone needs uni to have a degree to reach your career. I'm 19 and so desperate to go to uni this year.

I wish apprenticeships should be banned. it's brainwashing youths.
    Yeah because my sister's apprenticeship that has paid her £16-20k across the last three years, will give her a foundation degree and a guaranteed job or a full degree and a very high likelihood of a job, with no student debt and three years more work experience, is definitely going to stop her reaching her career.

OP, is the apprenticeship in an area that you are interested in? Does it lead to a qualification? Is there a guaranteed job at the end, and if not what is their current retention rate post completion? What's the retention rate for apprentices throughout the apprenticeship itself?
    These are all questions that will help you decide if it's worth it. There are plenty of employers out there using apprenticeships to exploit naive young people (including people who lie and aren't even operating a legal apprenticeship scheme), so they don't have to pay minimum wage for a non-skilled worker. But there are also apprenticeships that lead to good jobs in good industries, without some of the drawbacks of a degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Katie_p)
    Yeah because my sister's apprenticeship that has paid her £16-20k across the last three years, will give her a foundation degree and a guaranteed job or a full degree and a very high likelihood of a job, with no student debt and three years more work experience, is definitely going to stop her reaching her career.

OP, is the apprenticeship in an area that you are interested in? Does it lead to a qualification? Is there a guaranteed job at the end, and if not what is their current retention rate post completion? What's the retention rate for apprentices throughout the apprenticeship itself?
    These are all questions that will help you decide if it's worth it. There are plenty of employers out there using apprenticeships to exploit naive young people (including people who lie and aren't even operating a legal apprenticeship scheme), so they don't have to pay minimum wage for a non-skilled worker. But there are also apprenticeships that lead to good jobs in good industries, without some of the drawbacks of a degree.
    How can you tell which apprenticeships are good and which ones are exploiting?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maxi365)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Take a look here; http://www.apprenticeships.gov.uk

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maxi365)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The more information they give you, the more likely it is to be good. If there are qualifications, do they tell you which ones, where they're from (accredited by a University, college, fellowship etc), how long it will take you to get them? Do they volunteer statistics about how many people stayed on before (if they previously had apprentices)? Do they have paperwork relating to your employment as an apprentice?
    I'd suggest you ask to speak to the person in charge of each, obviously be enthusiastic and everything so they don't think you don't want it, but ask about the structure, whether there is a training plan, reviews, assessments etc. If they're legit, they should be able to tell you a lot about it, offer you a structured programme and everything. If they're cheating you, they won't have any real plans, won't be too happy answering questions etc. Of course, you can't ever be certain til you start, but if it turns out to be dodgy, you can leave.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by O.Ozz)
    Excuse me? i might be harsh but it's truth. Everyone needs uni to have a degree to reach your career. I'm 19 and so desperate to go to uni this year.

I wish apprenticeships should be banned. it's brainwashing youths.
    People have been far more brainwashed into believing that university is the only option. So much so they spend £27,000 and three years on a dodgy course and end up working in Starbucks. You see, surprise surprise, universities are businesses too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by plasmaman)
    People have been far more brainwashed into believing that university is the only option. So much so they spend £27,000 and three years on a dodgy course and end up working in Starbucks. You see, surprise surprise, universities are businesses too.
    No, that is different. Apprenticeships are the REAL CULT. University means a three year holiday without evil parents but achieving, learning a great subject into a great graduate scheme/career/masters degree.

I will never do an apprenticeship, although i have been tempted in the past but it would not give me a three year holiday or even make me leave my parents house

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by O.Ozz)
    No, that is different. Apprenticeships are the REAL CULT. University means a three year holiday without evil parents but achieving, learning a great subject into a great graduate scheme/career/masters degree.

I will never do an apprenticeship, although i have been tempted in the past but it would not give me a three year holiday or even make me leave my parents house
    This might be a shock to you, but some people like and respect their parents.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by O.Ozz)

See my bit above about Starbucks.
    What you have written is an ideal situation (although I'm not sure what use a Masters actually is most of the time) but simply doesn't happen for so many people.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.