Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

unwritten rules of the london underground?? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by prettyGirl101)
    how is that possible? go through the beep thing straight after the person in front?
    You're clearly not a local...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ILovePancakes)
    You're clearly not a local...
    haha lived in london for the majority of my life. whats it called? :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by prettyGirl101)
    haha lived in london for the majority of my life. whats it called? :rofl:
    Lmfao wot.. it's an oyster card reader :hide: beep thing smh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ILovePancakes)
    Lmfao wot.. it's an oyster card reader :hide: beep thing smh.
    loooooooooooooooooool oh my. i so knew that

ReputationRep:
    Careful not to condescend people by offering them your seat e.g. think twice before doing it to someone because they're female and also people of pensionable age who have made an effort to look younger! :mmm:

Also, it’s no longer acceptable to swing on the bars if you’re an adult, apparently..

#ForeverMonkeh

(Original post by rosebud114)
    Hold on quickly before the tube moves or you will FALL ON THE TUBE FLOOR!
    2nd best way to look a boss on TFL: get on, and stand in the middle of your zone, without holding onto a thing

(Original post by Drewski)
    Especially if you're Brazilian.
    Mate :erm:

(Original post by MrsSheldonCooper)
    Never eat food on the tube. I can't even say how irritated I get with people eating McDonalds or something on the tube
    Haha. That’s so me. Sometimes I gots to eat filth, and roll, in a hurry *****es! Deal with it

Spoiler:
    Show
    In fairness I do try to sit away from others and keep my chomping as discrete and tasteful as poss :cookie:

(Original post by TimmonaPortella)
    I personally particularly hate people who remember to stand on the right but then put their bags etc on the left rather than in front of them. It's as irksome as people just standing on the left, but a whole bunch stupider
    I know what you mean but find it kinda fun to take it as an opportunity to do a little dance/matrix dive around them, as I pace up the escalator :danceboy:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by rosebud114)
    Hold on quickly before the tube moves or you will FALL ON THE TUBE FLOOR!
    This
    • PS Helper
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Don't call the tube the subway. I learned this my first week lol. Also don't delay going through the gate. People will kill you. Move down the tube don't just all crowd round the door.

ReputationRep:
    Don't dawdle in front of the gates trying to find your ticket. I find this most annoying when I'm in a hurry and I'm behind somebody that looks like they'll just swipe and go through and instead spend five minutes riffling through their pocket for a ticket.

ReputationRep:
    Once seated you should close your eyes and pretend you're asleep.

ReputationRep:
    Oh real question, how do people fare jump on the tube? Just asking because bar a few stations I swear you have to go through the gates and there's usually TFL staff everywhere, do people just literally actually jump over them?
    I can understand it's easier on the Paris metro because most of the time there's actual turnstiles and not a lot of staff so it's easier to actually jump/crawl under and also most of the time if you have paper metro tickets and not a Navigo you don't need a ticket to get out of the station so that's covered. It just seems harder in London because you generally need a ticket to go and leave the station.

ReputationRep:
    Especially if you're Brazilian.
    Deserved more recognition.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foo.mp3)
    Mate :erm
    Too soon?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChangeOurWorld)
    Oh real question, how do people fare jump on the tube? Just asking because bar a few stations I swear you have to go through the gates and there's usually TFL staff everywhere, do people just literally actually jump over them?
    I can understand it's easier on the Paris metro because most of the time there's actual turnstiles and not a lot of staff so it's easier to actually jump/crawl under and also most of the time if you have paper metro tickets and not a Navigo you don't need a ticket to get out of the station so that's covered. It just seems harder in London because you generally need a ticket to go and leave the station.
    They walk through the gate directly behind somebody who has paid.

Here's a big one for me: if you don't have enough money on your oyster, or think it may not scan properly then wait for the person ahead to actually get through the gate. The slam on the gates in harder than necessary and they're always dirty. Nothing annoys me as much.

Also, try and walk as if you are driving. Check your blind spots, don't cut blind corners, don't sit in the fast lane, leave space for others to merge.

If the train is packed, and you are one of the 3-4 people closest to the door just get off at the stop, let people off, then get back on. It makes it SO much easier.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by james1211)
    Not paying is acceptable.

Spoiler:
    Show
    I've never seen so many people flout the fare on any other public transport system i've used :eek:
    I'm pretty sure the Oyster card can detect an unfinished journey and will automatically take the fare out lol

ReputationRep:
    Walking slowly not appreciated

ReputationRep:
    Don't dawdle in front of the gates trying to find your ticket. I find this most annoying when I'm in a hurry and I'm behind somebody that looks like they'll just swipe and go through and instead spend five minutes riffling through their pocket for a ticket.
    This. Get your **** together, you know whats coming.

Oh and read your own Metro/Evening Standard. They're free you know!

ReputationRep:
    Too soon?
    Just realised it's coming up to the 10 year anniversary of the shooting now. Not the Met's finest hour

ReputationRep:
    Don't jump in front of an incoming train because it just causes inconvenience to everyone .

ReputationRep:
    You're the coolest one there if you ride the train like a surfboard...not holding anything

ReputationRep:
    The reader uses IR to check if someone has gone past before closing the gates. If you place your hand on one of them it thinks the person in front (who paid) hasn't gone through and keeps the gate open for you to walk through.
    Or if you know your destination doesn't have the gates (or keeps them open) you could touch in and out at same station as you walk by.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.