The Student Room Group

Help please! Can't decide between Oxford and Harvard

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by marcoboy1818
I recently received an unconditional offer from both Oxford and Harvard university. I am wondering which I should choose as my backup choice as I hear that they are both quite good.. My first choice is Yale as they have offered my unconditional and a scholarship. I have been predicted 4x A*s and an A (I know, so bad that I only got an A for my fifth subject :/) I hope these grades give you an idea for what I should put as my backup choice.. I want a backup, just in case I decide I don't like Yale later..

Many thanks.

You take the Harvard one and give me the Oxford one. :colone:
The idea that Harvard rejected you because of a personal statement "error" and then accepted you a year later because of a math competition is absolutely ludicrous.
Reply 42
X

Have you taken a screenshot of your offers?
If you think that is a good university, then maybe you belong there...

I was just trolling you back :colone:
Reply 44
This thread is ridiculous. Even if you were telling the truth, there is no such thing as a "backup" for US unis, once you choose where you want to go and pay the deposit, there's no going back.

Most importantly though, both Harvard and Yale are SCEA(single choice early action) schools, which mean you can only apply to one of them early(apply by October-ish, get your decision in December) the other school must be RD(regular decision)-apply by January, get your decision in APRIL. There are NO exceptions to this rule. So you, sir, are clearly trolling.
(edited 9 years ago)
You should go to Oxford Brookes or Boston University
Original post by gumsum
This thread is ridiculous. Even if you were telling the truth, there is no such thing as a "backup" for US unis, once you choose where you want to go and pay the deposit, there's no going back.

Most importantly though, both Harvard and Yale are SCEA(single choice early action) schools, which mean you can only apply to one of them early(apply by October-ish, get your decision in December) the other school must be RD(regular decision)-apply by January, get your decision in APRIL. There are NO exceptions to this rule. So you, sir, are clearly trolling.

OP's story is that he applied to Yale SCEA and (presumably) Harvard RD. His story sounds like H gave him a likely letter after he won a Maths competition (Like you said, they don't give out actual offers for RD until April, so that's the only thing I can think of that makes some sense)

I'm not familiar with likely letters (never got one, clearly :tongue:), but is it likely for one to come this early? I was under the impression that it's common for athletes being recruited in the EA round, but RD likely letters won't come so early?
I recently received an unconditional offer from both Oxford and Harvard university. I am wondering which I should choose as my backup choice as I hear that they are both quite good.. My first choice is Yale as they have offered my unconditional and a scholarship. I have been predicted 4x A*s and an A (I know, so bad that I only got an A for my fifth subject :/) I hope these grades give you an idea for what I should put as my backup choice.. I want a backup, just in case I decide I don't like Yale later..

Many thanks.

What's your SAT score?
Original post by mishieru07
OP's story is that he applied to Yale SCEA and (presumably) Harvard RD. His story sounds like H gave him a likely letter after he won a Maths competition (Like you said, they don't give out actual offers for RD until April, so that's the only thing I can think of that makes some sense)

I'm not familiar with likely letters (never got one, clearly :tongue:), but is it likely for one to come this early? I was under the impression that it's common for athletes being recruited in the EA round, but RD likely letters won't come so early?

Reading the thread, it doesn't appear that he applied RD for Harvard and Yale.

I doubt the entirety of his story but he appears to have applied SCEA for both Harvard and Yale.
Reply 49
OP's story is that he applied to Yale SCEA and (presumably) Harvard RD. His story sounds like H gave him a likely letter after he won a Maths competition (Like you said, they don't give out actual offers for RD until April, so that's the only thing I can think of that makes some sense) I'm not familiar with likely letters (never got one, clearly :tongue:), but is it likely for one to come this early? I was under the impression that it's common for athletes being recruited in the EA round, but RD likely letters won't come so early?

I read that post, but he's not being clear enough on the circumstances of his offer to be believable. I have personally never heard of non-athletic likely letters coming earlier than March, and I used to go to a very competitive New England boarding school who had both recruited and non-recruited(academic) people receive likely letters from Harvard and other Ivy League universities. Considering the application deadline for RD is January 1st, and that Harvard receives around 30000 RD apps a year, I seriously doubt the admissions committee has even gotten around to seriously considering his application, even if they have read it. Not to mention that it is even harder for a re-applicant to be accepted.
Another reason I'm not convinced is the fact that Yale is giving him a scholarship while Harvard isn't. Since both schools offer no merit scholarships, I am assuming he is referring to financial aid. I seriously doubt that Yale has given him FA and Harvard hasn't, because they are both need-blind and full need to international students, and Harvard is arguably the most generous with its funds, esp. considering that Harvard deemed the OP worthy of a likely letter.
If, the OP is telling the truth I apologise for my suspicion, but I have no idea why you're looking for a "backup" to Yale; its a perfectly good school and giving you money, why on earth would you suddenly decide you hate it there between now and May(when you put your deposits down)? Your post seems 1.pointless and 2.a bit like bragging.
Finally, assuming you are telling the truth, here is my advice: appeal to Harvard for FA, maybe show them the FA award you've got from Yale. If they want you as much as you're making out, they'll probably match your award from Yale. Et Voila, problem solved.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 50
Original post by tehFrance
Reading the thread, it doesn't appear that he applied RD for Harvard and Yale.

I doubt the entirety of his story but he appears to have applied SCEA for both Harvard and Yale.

Sorry if you already know this, but the single-choice part of SCEA means that he can only apply to one school for EA
Original post by gumsum
Sorry if you already know this, but the single-choice part of SCEA means that he can only apply to one school for EA

No I didn't do thank you, I guess he applied to Harvard SCEA and Yale RD? That's only way he can have a decision now otherwise he's made this up haha

If he applied for Harvard RD, he won't have heard back yet. Harvard RD don't make decisions until March.
Hi

This thread has been reported to us and it seems like a lot of you have doubts about the OP. At the moment, we've decided not to remove the thread, but remember that if you think someone is trolling, it's best to avoid giving them attention.
Yes. Again this is serious. Are you applying for Oxford? I have heard that Oxford do consider retakes (especially after interview success). I have family in both America and England and am often away from home. I am not really bothered about this though, I am not the emotional type..academia is all that interests me (along with my basketball and running of course).

i'm currently in my AS year but i'm on track to applying for oxford. oxford definitely do consider retakes, we're currently having advisers from unis coming into my sixth form and talking, and it was definitely said that retakes do not decrease your chances of getting in - as long as you've only retaken once. any retake after the first for a subject would probably not be considered.
i guess then, considering your response, it'd honestly be the nitty gritty stuff which would separate one from the other for you. maybe a trip to visit all ?? you said you had family in america, although i'm not sure how possible it'd be to trip over to visit the uni. consider the course style - is it modular or linear ?? how do they teach it ?? what does it include ??? and then which place you would be most comfortable spending a good portion of your years at.
Reply 55
I am having trouble understanding the question- from the heading it looks as though you are trying to decide whether to accept a place at Harvard or Oxford.

You will get better quality help if you give more info as to what your important variables are.

You say you already have a full ride at Yale, which says that finances are an issue, so first things first: are they equally affordable?

You say that you find Americans arrogant- if that is your view, you probably are best off staying in the UK (nobody likes people who think they are arrogant).

You don't mention your subject at all, which is key for a UK / US choice.

You say you have a foot in both the US and UK so you must know that there are huge differences in the academic systems (continuing assessment counts; more potential for variety on one side than the other).

Again assuming that you are in the UK now, are you ready to go back to being underage wrt alcohol (yes, I know you *can* get it underage, but it is a very different thing than being able to go out to clubs, have a drink in a restaurant, etc.)?

...and so on. If this is a true conversation, engage in it.
Original post by gumsum

Interestingly, someone in my year was somehow able to apply to both Yale and Princeton SCEA and got in to both. This very rarely happens though and I don't even know how he was able to do it (something to do with his international athletics and Princeton)...

Anyway yeah, I agree. OP is trolling. EA means you find out in December and RD you find out in March. He couldn't have already gotten 2 US offers.
IMHO The forums should be stricter against *troll-like behaviour* (even if we can't ascertain whether the person is a troll)...
(anyone remembers @nnetteCurtain?)

The biggest consideration should be cost (is oxford without fin aid affordable? Livable?), then academics (liberal arts or something specialized?). OP doesn't even tell us what he's gonna read in Oxford.
Reply 58
....You know your doing Maths, Economics and Art at A2 right?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending