The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

i want to be a feminist but i'm conflicted.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jammy4041
The first wave of feminism, was concerned with suffrage. That is widely recognised as the first wave. You fail to realize the importance of getting the right to vote was for women; they had no representation in Britain at all...and all the other aims of feminism could only occur when women had the vote. ...

Until then, men could reinforce the patriarchy, continuously, and vote, in perpetuity, a government which continues to ignore women. Feminists will argue that the repression in women's rights stems directly from a right to vote. I think the logic was, that if a woman received the right to vote, it would open up the right to vote for other repressed groups.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women's_suffrage_in_Australia Australian women had a right to vote but the British men dying on the battlefield had no say.
In 1869 women in Britain were allowed to vote in local elections. http://www.localhistories.org/womensrights.html

Actually just after that, the most powerful person in the land was the Queen ruling alone (not King+Queen) & didn't want women voting!
The opinion of Queen Victoria 1870: 'I am most anxious to enlist everyone who can speak or write to join in checking this mad, wicked folly of "Women's Rights", with all its attendant horrors, on which her poor feeble sex is bent, forgetting every sense of womanly feeling and propriety. Lady Amberley ought to get a good whipping. Were woman to unsex themselves by claiming equality with men, they would become the most hateful, heathen and disgusting of beings and would surely perish without male protection." http://www.historyofwomen.org/suffrage.html

Original post by jammy4041
Until then, men could reinforce the patriarchy, continuously, and vote, in perpetuity, a government which continues to ignore women. Feminists will argue that the repression in women's rights stems directly from a right to vote. I think the logic was, that if a woman received the right to vote, it would open up the right to vote for other repressed groups....

Well how many men of the millions in the country could vote? 1% 10%, 100%? I'd think closer to 1 then 10%. So the vast majority of men were also ignored, just like women.
How many men were expected to fight in WW1? Also do you not think the Pankhurst betrayal with recruiting speeches + other women using White Feathers was oppression by women on men?
(Post 500)
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by damoni
I've tried looking into myself, to find what the right , moral thing to do is and i just don't know. both sides have good and bad things, it's a stalemate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZ7mdJg-xWc - listen to this whilst reading below.

No side will hate you being an egalitarian (or humanist) - it is the safe option so you can focus on gender equality & helping wo/men who need it most. When 1 sex loses, both sexes lose.

Feminism has become a dirty word & it is Confusing. http://sparkcharts.sparknotes.com/womens/womens/section4.php There are so many types you can call yourself, that you will get an identity crisis!

Read how feminists & non/anti-feminists argue - who brings up stats & research into their argument? Who goes with personal attacks or anecdotes?
Read all the way to the end skimming links (not 100% checked myself) as you go along, to answer your question http://philosophyofmensissues.blogspot.ca/2014_10_01_archive.html. It begins with What does feminism do to hurt men?
(http://philosophyofmensissues.blogspot.ca/2014_11_01_archive.html Read if u wanna get annoyed; this isn't fluffy "feminists on Slutwalks, join Ban Page 3 protests")

Feminism is an ideology:
Googling .com or .co.uk "Rotherham 1400 feminism" - apart from mumsnet there is no pro-feminism website even having an article on it. There are blogs & men's rights talking about it, especially on feminist's silence.
Why?
Islamophobia + xenophobia trumps feminism. It is not about caring for mainly young girls, & boys. If feminism can throw the helpless on the fire, do you think they care for wo/men?

Feminism is about £$€, power & demonising men:
Erin Pizzey founded the 1st women's shelter. She found that: "...62 women out of the first hundred women who came to the refuge were as violent or more violent than the men they left. Also many were prostitutes taking refuge from their violent pimps." Pizzey further notes that such violent women abuse their children as well. Subsequent studies have shown that the great majority of child abuse and murders are perpetrated by females, most commonly single mothers.

Radical feminists from USA came & took over her shelters forcing her to leave the country. They took the funding & promoted that women were always the victims & men the perps. Hence why there are >7,000 places for women & ~60 for men which includes 20-30 for homosexual men only. http://www.theguardian.com/society/2010/sep/05/men-victims-domestic-violence
Then they try to suppress the data 30 Years of Denying evidence on Gender Symmetry in partner violence http://pubpages.unh.edu/~mas2/V71-Straus_Thirty-Years-Denying-Evidence-PV_10.pdf

Women against Feminism - look at their main arguments. Tactics http://honeybadgerbrigade.com/2014/12/15/snatching-oppression-from-the-jaws-of-privilege-a-sly-inversion/

(To males: WAM yes they are gynocentric as women are, but feminism is gynocentric on steroids. They are a reaction as men leave women in relationships or beginning marriage)
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by rad_student
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZ7mdJg-xWc - listen to this whilst reading below.

No side will hate you being an egalitarian (or humanist) - it is the safe option so you can focus on gender equality & helping wo/men who need it most. When 1 sex loses, both sexes lose.

It's frustrating seeing how many people refer to themselves as "humanists" instead of feminists when they are genuinely invested in gender equality, as the origins of humanism are as a school of psychology that doesn't concern itself in any meaningful way with gender and sex:
http://americanhumanist.org/Humanism

Effectively, humanism as a concept is the rejection of superstition, religion etc in favour of rational thought but has recently come to mean many different things to different people, just as feminism has. It is fundamentally different, however, in that it is not a political movement.

Ultimately, feminism does and should refer to the belief that all genders/sexes should be equal, socially, economically and politically. However, different groups and demographics have appropriated or misused the label to the extent that it is largely misunderstood in the public arena as being resolutely opposed to men and masculinity, which is, strictly speaking, misandry.

I think your behaviour is more important than how you define it; if, for instance, you treat people equally regardless of their gender and support their equality, how important is it that you subscribe to a movement? That's up to you, but imo as long as your actions further equality for all people, it's not so significant.
Original post by emilym80
It's frustrating seeing how many people refer to themselves as "humanists" instead of feminists when they are genuinely invested in gender equality, as the origins of humanism are as a school of psychology that doesn't concern itself in any meaningful way with gender and sex:
http://americanhumanist.org/Humanism

Effectively, humanism as a concept is the rejection of superstition, religion etc in favour of rational thought but has recently come to mean many different things to different people, just as feminism has. It is fundamentally different, however, in that it is not a political movement.

Ultimately, feminism does and should refer to the belief that all genders/sexes should be equal, socially, economically and politically. However, different groups and demographics have appropriated or misused the label to the extent that it is largely misunderstood in the public arena as being resolutely opposed to men and masculinity, which is, strictly speaking, misandry.

I think your behaviour is more important than how you define it; if, for instance, you treat people equally regardless of their gender and support their equality, how important is it that you subscribe to a movement? That's up to you, but imo as long as your actions further equality for all people, it's not so significant.

Humanism = an outlook or system of thought attaching prime importance to human rather than divine or supernatural matters. Humanist beliefs stress the potential value and goodness of human beings, emphasize common human needs, and seek solely rational ways of solving human problems.
Agreed - but the point is about not bringing conflict to her life, as feminism is a loaded name. Unless she is just joining her friends, to belong with them or belong to feminism & Girrrl Power (Homosociality).
She is shocked that a 30 year old was on TSR the other day :colondollar:.
Reply 44
Original post by damoni
i want women to have equal rights and be a feminist, but there are some women that I follow on twitter, and theyre quite mean about men, how do I avoid getting upset and sad about it whilst continuing to be a feminist or feminist ally?

Can you remind me, why do we need to be equal? What is the point and benefit of equality?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by damoni
i'm sorry guys, but I think the people I follow on twitter are right, this is just your male privilege talking. don't worry, I used to think that way too, now I've matured, I see the way things are.

Gr8 B8 M8

You'd have to be really gullible to fall into this fool's trap.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by KingStannis
Don't be a feminist. Believe in gender equality instead.

Feminism is all about gender equality. If someone is sexist towards men or women they are not feminist. Being a feminist and believing in gender equality are the same thing. There are "feminists" who are sexist towards men, which spoils the image of feminism and perpetuates the idea of feminism being sexist.

I also think that it should have a gender neutral name instead, as it would help to clear up these misconceptions.
Reply 47
I'm anti feminist.

I believe in equal rights. (notably of opportunity)
Original post by samba
I'm anti feminist.

:confused:
Reply 49
Original post by Izzyeviel
:confused:

What confuses you?
Original post by Username unknown
Feminism is all about gender equality. If someone is sexist towards men or women they are not feminist. Being a feminist and believing in gender equality are the same thing. There are "feminists" who are sexist towards men, which spoils the image of feminism and perpetuates the idea of feminism being sexist.

I also think that it should have a gender neutral name instead, as it would help to clear up these misconceptions.

No. Feminism is a sociological theory pertaining to gender equality. IF you think it isn't, then tell me; would feminism as it exists today exist if there was no consensus that women didn't have equality? No, the primary equality movement in the western world would be COMPLETELY different.

Now, one fundamental thing you cannot be if you are a feminist is someone who believes that, like me, while women have some problems, men actually have it worse in society (I'll back that up if you want me to). This is because it directly contradicts the one idea that you have to hold to be a feminist; that there is a patriarchy designed to help men and hinder women.
(edited 9 years ago)
there's a great difference between being a feminist and having a stupid ego.the equality of sexes doesn't necessarily mean hating guys,it just mean standing up for what's right-EQUALITY.
In my opinion keep on being a feminist,but do it the proper way,forget the anti-feminist and ignore those who are trying to make feminism seem like a bad idea.
if you are still confused try to read some chimanda ngozi adichie novels and read some beyonces essays online,they express the main idea.
umm, feminism is gender equality. why would women want to be superior to men while they have been fighting and sacrificing themselves so that men and women can be equal? please do some research or at least look up the word before offending the billions of feminists worlwide.
Original post by samba
I'm anti feminist.

OMG please listen to yourself. feminist means equal rights. do some research please!
Reply 54
Original post by feminism3844
umm, feminism is gender equality. why would women want to be superior to men while they have been fighting and sacrificing themselves so that men and women can be equal? please do some research or at least look up the word before offending the billions of feminists worlwide.

agreed and please don't bump old threads.

Latest

Trending

Trending