The Student Room Group

Benedict Cumberbatch apologises...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
If you don't understand why its wrong to use the term "coloured" in today's day and age then you are very ignorant. We all agree segregation is and was wrong, under segregation black people were labeled as "coloured". To be colored is to be less than white, not deserving to share the same entrances, water fountains and toilets etc. To label someone colored is to make them less than equal. Cumberbatch was wrong but meant well hence the apology. Only through education can people understand that we are all equal and that the term colored takes humanity back to the days of racial segregation. I don't expect every white person to understand.
Original post by Genocidal
Over-sensitive babies. I suppose he had to apologise because he has to cater to whiny Americans for career reasons, but my god people ae pathetic these days.

^This. I can see why he apologised but he shouldn't have needed to, I don't see anything wrong with saying 'coloured people'.
Original post by DorianGrayism
Yes, you can use ' that word '
coloured or is this another word that only by used by Black people?

No one cares if you are Black or from any other minority.

Maybe you should ask yourself why you are so bent out of shape over such a word.

Even black people don't use it.
Reply 43
Coloured is an outdated and provocative term to use in 2015. He didn't mean any offence and it's good he has apologised. He's not a racist and he was highlighting an important issue, but it's ok to call people on something when they do say something silly, as long as it is proportional.
Original post by Sarky
Coloured is an outdated and provocative term to use in 2015. He didn't mean any offence and it's good he has apologised. He's not a racist and he was highlighting an important issue, but it's ok to call people on something when they do say something silly, as long as it is proportional.

For Heaven's sake, it's just a word. It's not derogatory. People really need to stop jumping up and making drama over every little thing.
Reply 45
He was practically saying 'people of colour' e.g. ethnic minorities so I don't think he deserves condemnation. He was probably wrong for saying 'coloured' in America of all places. There's a lot of racial tension there at the moment which he could have taken into account.
Original post by Ndella
He was practically saying 'people of colour' e.g. ethnic minorities so I don't think he deserves condemnation. He was probably wrong for saying 'coloured' in America of all places. There's a lot of racial tension there at the moment which he could have taken into account.

Exactly - the two terms, for all intents and purposes, mean exactly the same thing. I think people have seen a privileged white man make a slight hiccup in expressing an otherwise well-intentioned and perfectly valid point, and have jumped on it. Pathetic really.
Original post by Dr Pesto
I'm in agreement with everything you've said here, apart from the bit in bold which I thought was quite bizarre. Calling somebody black has never been derogatory, how on earth else are you supposed to refer to somebody when you don't know their exact ethnic background?

I agree that it's bizarre, but at school we were specifically told several times not to use 'black' (ironically, we were always told to use 'coloured' as the politically correct term) because people found it offensive. It was something that our French teacher had problems with when we got to A level and were learning about racism as well, because in France I believe that calling someone black is absolutely fine, and we all found it a huge mental stumbling block because we'd been so conditioned not to say it.

Maybe it's a regional thing? I live in a very white part of the country so it's possible that the few black students we did have were uncomfortable? I can't imagine five year olds being particularly bothered though. Alternatively, it might be because of your final point- maybe calling someone black can be construed as offensive if you don't know their ethnic background because you're making assumptions about their ethnicity?

Honestly, I have no idea.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Maid Marian
For Heaven's sake, it's just a word. It's not derogatory. People really need to stop jumping up and making drama over every little thing.

So is the N-word, so is Negro. Should we start calling black people that now, since they are just words.?
Original post by Oli-Ol
I don't really see what the issue is.

I can't see any other term that he could have used- 'black' would be inappropriate given that he was talking about all ethnic minorities.

When I was little, 'coloured' was the politically correct term. It never made much sense to me, given that everyone has skin of some colour- nobody's transparent- but it was what I was taught to use. 'Black' was (and still is, to many of my friends) derogatory, and 'people of colour' sounds ridiculous.

Most importantly, he was talking about a very real issue and there was no intent to offend.

'People of ethnic minorities' might be a more acceptable substitute?
Original post by Jibola240
Even black people don't use it.

Ok and that means that no one else can

Also you would be wrong because black people have
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Comeback
'People of ethnic minorities' might be a more acceptable substitute?

It's a bit clumsy. :/ and an imprecise statement too, given that in Japan white people are an ethnic minority.

But yes, that's a better turn of phrase. I'll file that away for future use. :smile:
Original post by Jibola240
So is the N-word, so is Negro. Should we start calling black people that now, since they are just words.?

Yes clearly ****** and coloured are equivalents
Original post by Oli-Ol
I don't really see what the issue is.

I can't see any other term that he could have used- 'black' would be inappropriate given that he was talking about all ethnic minorities.

When I was little, 'coloured' was the politically correct term. It never made much sense to me, given that everyone has skin of some colour- nobody's transparent- but it was what I was taught to use. 'Black' was (and still is, to many of my friends) derogatory, and 'people of colour' sounds ridiculous.

Most importantly, he was talking about a very real issue and there was no intent to offend.

I think you are really ignorant. The politically correct term among any black person, is black. Anything to the contrary, may it be coloured or ******, would be deemed derogrative.

Who are these black friends you speak of? ^^
Original post by Oli-Ol
It's a bit clumsy. :/ and an imprecise statement too, given that in Japan white people are an ethnic minority.

But yes, that's a better turn of phrase. I'll file that away for future use. :smile:

Well, he was talking about the differences between actors in the UK and USA so in context I'm sure it's acceptable.

I personally don't see 'black' as offensive though if you are referring to people with dark skin.

Would 'dark-skinned' be acceptable perhaps?

I think everyone worries too much about these things, if you don't mean something in an offensive way it should be clear in context of what you are saying (unfortunately this was lost with this actor through the media's presentation of it)
Well, he was talking about the differences between actors in the UK and USA so in context I'm sure it's acceptable.

I personally don't see 'black' as offensive though if you are referring to people with dark skin.

I think everyone worries too much about these things, if you don't mean something in an offensive way it should be clear in context of what you are saying (unfortunately this was lost with this actor through the media's presentation of it)

Not dark-skinned, but black.
A dark skinned Indian person isn't black, as in from African descent.
The professionally-offended are out in full force, I see.

It was an ignorant mistake warranting no more than a raised eyebrow, not a Twitter lynch mob.
Original post by JamesNeedHelp2
I think you are really ignorant. The politically correct term among any black person, is black. Anything to the contrary, may it be coloured or ******, would be deemed derogrative.

Who are these black friends you speak of? ^^

I'm sure it is, but that isn't what we were taught was acceptable. I am aware that the connotations words hold change, and in this case I wasn't aware that 'coloured' was no longer acceptable. It's not a word I use anyway, because, as I've said, I think it's meaningless. There is a huge difference between 'coloured' and a word like ****** which is highly derogatory and is intended to be offensive.

As I've said, 'black' is still held to be offensive in some circles, which I believe is why 'person of colour' is the preferred term.

Do you want me to go and find them for you to prove that I'm not racist? :rolleyes:

Oh I agree with you, I was playing devil's advocate somewhat (and not particularly successfully).

Personally I also don't have an issue with 'black', but I was told that some people found it offensive and so searched to avoid it, because I didn't want to unintentionally offend anyone. I have a feeling that 'dark-skinned' is fairly outdated as well, but I'm clearly not very up to date!

I completely agree with you. Intent is the root of this, and he clearly didn't mean to offend- he was highlighting an issue that he saw as unfair and important!
Original post by jedanselemyia
Not dark-skinned, but black.
A dark skinned Indian person isn't black, as in from African descent.

Good point.
Original post by Maid Marian
^This. I can see why he apologised but he shouldn't have needed to, I don't see anything wrong with saying 'coloured people'.

I think you are missing the historical aspect associated with that word. And as such, i dont believe any black person would take to kindly to what you may deem as anything but wrong...:biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending