Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    So long as its a party list rather than candidates in fine with it. That way the parties can put forward 'experts' with less need to act as a delegate simply doing what people want as too many MP's do (if people knew what was good for them then we'd have direct democracy).

More important is the need to reduce the size of both parliaments.
    Aye the House of Lords is ridiculously large, however to be fair a lot of them never bother to show up. And all our MPs can barely fit in the House of Commons.

So long as the use it to elect experts, and people who understand the legislative process I have no problem. But I have a feeling they will just fill the party list with retiring politicians and former cabinet members. Personally I'd prefer if only 2/3 was elected.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SBKA)
    I think they still associate themselves with 'law and order' because they want to be seen as a party that sticks by it's traditional principles.
    Traditional principles don't enforce law or order, but crippling legal aid goes a good way to damaging the good functioning of the law under which everyone should be equal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by perspiracious)
    Because they are the party that most closely represents my views. I am just a little bit sceptical.
    Fair enough. I think everyone is sceptical about politics in Britain at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Birkenhead)
    Traditional principles don't enforce law or order, but crippling legal aid goes a good way to damaging the good functioning of the law under which everyone should be equal.
    I was not arguing that they do enforce 'law and order', but rather simply stating that to appeal to hardcore Tory voters they have to at least appear to be sticking by one of their original principles.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SBKA)
    I was not arguing that they do enforce 'law and order', but rather simply stating that to appeal to hardcore Tory voters they have to at least appear to be sticking by one of their original principles.
    I understand this, but it doesn't stop it being a 'sickening' claim to me given their dreadful record on the law in this government.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SBKA)
    Any particular reason?
    they don't seem very competent, even within a coalition
    I'm right wing too so that's another thing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SBKA)
    I think that a Libertarian party that follows the practices of the old Liberal party still exists today. Not sure how popular they are though.
    The closest party in today's politics to the Liberal party would be UKIP.

All the other parties are so economically conservative and socially liberal that they put the Progressive Liberals of the early 1900's to shame.

My view is that if a High Tory party was to reform in Britain it would get 30% of the vote no bother. There isn't a socially conservative party out their for anyone to vote for, this is why people are moving to UKIP.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Birkenhead)
    I understand this, but it doesn't stop it being a 'sickening' claim to me given their dreadful record on the law in this government.
    Its not unlike political parties to make stupid and sickening claims though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by william walker)
    The closest party in today's politics to the Liberal party would be UKIP.

All the other parties are so economically conservative and socially liberal that they put the Progressive Liberals of the early 1900's to shame.

My view is that if a High Tory party was to reform in Britain it would get 30% of the vote no bother. There isn't a socially conservative party out their for anyone to vote for, this is why people are moving to UKIP.
    Not just UKIP. Many, more extreme, nationalist groups have taken advantage of this gap in the political spectrum.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not an indecisive person so NO

ReputationRep:
    Lib Dem voter here

By any chance, did anyone just watch Nick Clegg on 'The Last Leg'? It was quite uncomfortable given the stupid questions you would expect to be asked to him, but I thought he conducted himself very well and hopefully this has changed some people's opinions of him, as opposed to the excessive soundbites of ridicule thrown at him and his party.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gott)
    I'm not an indecisive person so NO
    I'm a rational, non compulsive person so yes!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davij038)
    I'm a rational, non compulsive person so yes!
    Is it rational to trust an arbitrary political doctrine or for that matter not to be ideologically motivated in politics?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gott)
    Is it rational to trust an arbitrary political doctrine or for that matter not to be ideologically motivated in politics?
    It is rational to be skeptical of those in power and I think the lib dems represent this principle, unlike the big government parties of the other 4.

ReputationRep:
    It is rational to be skeptical of those in power and I think the lib dems represent this principle, unlike the big government parties of the other 4.
    I'd recommend learning about politics and deciding on your politics rather than having faith in the lily livered, wishy washy centre party

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gott)
    I'd recommend learning about politics and deciding on your politics rather than having faith in the lily livered, wishy washy centre party
    Currently doing a masters in political thought, But I'll bear it in mind.

ReputationRep:
    Currently doing a masters in political thought, But I'll bear it in mind.
    Can you tell me what defines their policies apart from tentativity then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gott)
    Can you tell me what defines their policies apart from tentativity then?
    Their policies to me are about individual empowerment whether this is in protecting education, decentralising concentrated power, protecting liberties or a whole host of other things.

The tories have nicked their tax idea and labour have a shoddy version of their mansion tax.

Ukip and the greens policies, whilst certainly not tentative, are ill thought out and stupid.

ReputationRep:
    Their policies to me are about individual empowerment whether this is in protecting education, decentralising concentrated power, protecting liberties or a whole host of other things
    I'm given to believe that the Tories and Labour just vie for the centre ground and use it to implement their economic policy. This is why I might seriously consider voting UKIP to pressure the Tories into legislating (perhaps more importantly not legislating like conservatives), even though this would be disastrous in the short term. Would you agree that the essence of real conservatism is libertarian?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gott)
    I'm given to believe that the Tories and Labour just vie for the centre ground and use it to implement their economic policy. This is why I might seriously consider voting UKIP to pressure the Tories into legislating (perhaps more importantly not legislating like conservatives), even though this would be disastrous in the short term. Would you agree that the essence of real conservatism is libertarian?
    Real is a somewhat loaded term. While the Tories do believe in a small state, part of conservatism also links to morality and tradition.

All depends on whether you view ideologies as purely economic or socioeconomic really.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.