Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Police seeking man in Bradford for insulting Islam watch

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have any other links about this? This is a free speech issue if everything is as it seems, but there's a chance we might not be getting the whole story here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    My opinion of this city is now even lower, hard to do after electing that poisonous MP who's name shall not be spoken.
    It's interesting that people who make comments about Islam are deemed suspect, but ********s like Galloway who make genuinely xenophobic comments like saying Bradford should be an Israeli free zone, and refusing to debate with an Israeli, get off scott free.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skip_Snip)
    He didn't threaten anyone. He simply made derogatory comments about islam.
    Source? I haven't seen any reports as to what was actually said.

You don't need to threaten anyone to commit a public order offence.

ReputationRep:
    Link to West Yorkshire Police site which says nothing much: Caught On Camera | 13150012659

• Area : Bradford South
    • Crime : Public Order
    • Date : Thu. Jan 8.15
    • Ref : BD223

This happened about 4 weeks ago!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lady Comstock)
    Yeah, but it's a higher threshold since they scrapped "insulting" from s5.

If he was threatening in his tone or abusive (profanities, crossing the line) then fair enough. However, if it was merely mocking a religion then I doubt any conviction would be compatible with the HRA 1998.
    Maybe the police thought he had intention - in which case, 'insulting' is enough.

Maybe what he said comes under 'abusive'.

Maybe they just want to suggest that he refrains from walking up to Asian looking people and deciding to lecture them on the ills of, what he assumes is, their religion.

Who knows.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnCrichton89)
    Police are looking for a man who made derogatory statements about Islam while on a bus in Bradford.

"POLICE wish to speak to this man (right) after derogatory comments about Islam were made on a bus.

The incident, described as a public order offence by police, allegedly happened on the 576 Halifax to Bradford bus, between 10pm and 10.20pm on Thursday, January 8.
    The man is said to have got on the bus and sat directly behind an Asian man, before muttering his comments.
    The suspect is described as white, aged 40 to 50, about 5ft 8ins tall, and was wearing a black woolly hat and black jacket that may have had a bit of red on it."

http://m.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/...bus/?ref=fbshr

Edit; new link. http://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.u... _slurs_on_bus/
    Looks like the Charlie Hebdo terrorists got what they wanted.

ReputationRep:
    No surprise here.

ReputationRep:
    If the man was talking smack about Islam in an effort to provoke the Asian man or make him feel uncomfortable, I could understand the police wanting to have a talk. Nevertheless, I am strongly against the notion that anyone should face action by the law for voicing their opinions on religion. And we all know there's only one particular religion we don't appear to be able to criticize quite so freely.

Where are all the Muslims facing legal action for 'Public Order offenses' after voicing their hatred for Western society, might I ask?

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.