Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it okay for disabled people to have children? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I know a poor soul who had a very(very) enlarged forehead, not sure of the condition, and although able to, he made the decision not to have a child because he didnt want his child to have to grow up in this world getting bullied and risking a sad life. I admire the guy, although this isnt totally relevant as i dont know if he was advised by doctors or anything not to have kids, i thought this was worth mentioning

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps they shouldn't be banned from safe sex but banned from having a babies. Because the child may be bullied in school due to a parents disability, I know it's mean but that's the truth

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blue_Mason)
    DoDo they have the same right, despite their physical and mental disabilities that affect their daily life?
    I'd put mental disabilities to one side because with aspergers for example you lead a functional life within society.

With regards to physical disabilities then In principal I do support the concept of eugenics (that is to support the improvement of the species) and so I would suggest that their children be aborted, the people not permitted to breed and encouraged to adopt.

Being a bit more pragmatic I think financial incentives to adopt and steralize should be provided to such people until such time that genetic engineering advances to the point that the child can be cured before birth.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Marshall Taylor)
    Perhaps they shouldn't be banned from safe sex but banned from having a babies. Because the child may be bullied in school due to a parents disability, I know it's mean but that's the truth
    And what about the people who have kids and *then* become disabled? Should they have their children placed into care?

Do you have any first hand experience of disability that is prompting your interest in this topic?

Or are you just making judgements on other people's ability to parent for a bit of "fun"?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kadak)
    Damn sorry about not considering epigenomics into the equation, oh and would you describe your CFS as mild, moderate or severe ?WHat do you think could be the possible cause of your CFS since it seems no one is certain for sure what is the exact trigger of CFS, or do you think there could be different causes for different individuals ? Oh, and I`m loving this genetics talk .
    :topic: (I've an AMA thread if you wanna quiz me on off topic stuff mate). Suffice to say that it's not as simple as just passing it on to your kids, there's a lot in the mix

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    I'd put mental disabilities to one side because with aspergers for example you lead a functional life within society.

With regards to physical disabilities then In principal I do support the concept of eugenics (that is to support the improvement of the species) and so I would suggest that their children be aborted, the people not permitted to breed and encouraged to adopt.

Being a bit more pragmatic I think financial incentives to adopt and steralize should be provided to such people until such time that genetic engineering advances to the point that the child can be cured before birth.
    Eugenics and discouraging physically disabled people to breed just because they are disabled ? Wheres the neg rep button ?

ReputationRep:
    Which disabilities are we discussing? The main issue with people who have disabilities is that they will pass down a bad gene. And create more people with disabilities. Ok well first off: if they do, ok. I know none of that is ideal but...now we have to like...look at which disabilities would endanger a kid.

If they're like little people well how is that making them any more incapable or capable, except for: climbing everywhere and some back probs? So?

If they're blind? Well, I know blind people can do...stuff too so they can work and support their kids, no?

Like if they're mentally challenged like down syndrome then I mean...I've seen some functional Downers lol

Or if they're like bipolar? Is that a disability? Well...I'd fear if someone has schizophrenia because the symptoms can be similar to a rrrreally bad drug trip :eek:

Hmmm...like...a physical disability like...MS or...muscular issue, I mean their kid will just have to do everything :dontknow: they can still teach their kids things and like give proper guidance. I have seen people born without arms who are great parents

And I mean what do we do if someone is disabled who wants kids? Tell them no? Take their kids away? Kill a kid that is disabled? Am I going too far?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster

Many people with physical disabilities also lead a functional life. My dad has epilepsy and a brain injury. For the most part, he's able to lead a normal life. (although, his memory is somewhat screwed and he doesn't always get the right words out)

Many people with Aspergers lead a normal life and many don't. You can't make generalisations like that.

And what happens to people like me whose parents became disabled later on in life? I was 15 when my dad became disabled.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foo.mp3)
    :topic: (I've an AMA thread if you wanna quiz me on off topic stuff mate). Suffice to say that it's not as simple as just passing it on to your kids, there's a lot in the mix
    Ok, expect to be bombarded with questions of a scientific nature on your AMA thread in under 60 microcenturies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kadak)
    Eugenics and discouraging physically disabled people to breed just because they are disabled ? Wheres the neg rep button ?
    It already occurs. Everytime you abort a disabled child you are choosing not to add a defect to the species. I'm not talking Hitler style mass genocide of the undesirables, this is 2015.

Yes. People who cannot function in society because of a genetic impairment should not be put through such a poor life.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    It already occurs. Everytime you abort a disabled child you are choosing not to add a defect to the species. I'm not talking Hitler style mass genocide of the undesirables, this is 2015.

Yes. People who cannot function in society because of a genetic impairment should not be put through such a poor life.
    There aren't tests for every single genetic disease out there. So what happens there then? I have at least one condition that's lagely genetic and we're not sure on the causes of the rest.

You have no way of knowing whether or indeed how a child will function in life with a disability.

ReputationRep:

I thought in 2015 people aren`t discriminated against because of their disability. We all carry the genes for genetic diseases but some people are unlucky to have it expressed. Your views are appalling.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    And what about the people who have kids and *then* become disabled? Should they have their children placed into care?

Do you have any first hand experience of disability that is prompting your interest in this topic?
    Or are you just making judgements on other people's ability to parent for a bit of "fun"?
    Do you suffer from delusions? Or do you just take everything personal?
    Right, if a parent had a kid then the parent goes to war. He/she comes back with 1 leg and post traumatic stress disorder. This parent is cussing, smashing and lashing out infront a 5 year old girl. Whilst the only war shes seen was in films, you would allow that child to still live under he/she's care? Simply unfathomable.

ReputationRep:
    I think if disabled people want to have children then that is completely up to them. It's not right to remove their right to do so, but depending on the nature of the disability they might want to think and carefully gauge their suitability as parents.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by omegaSQU4RED)
    I think if disabled people want to have children then that is completely up to them. It's not right to remove their right to do so, but depending on the nature of the disability they might want to think and carefully gauge their suitability as parents.
    Thank you. Someone who is talking sense. You know, this is something many disabled people do think about - they do realise that being a disabled parent isn't going to be easy. (especially if their child ends with a disability too)

I see my question has been ignored from earlier - how many of you saying no actually have first hand experience of disability? I have a feeling very few of you actually do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OU Student)
    Thank you. Someone who is talking sense. You know, this is something many disabled people do think about - they do realise that being a disabled parent isn't going to be easy. (especially if their child ends with a disability too)

I see my question has been ignored from earlier - how many of you saying no actually have first hand experience of disability? I have a feeling very few of you actually do.
    I do but it depends on what you class as disabled .

ReputationRep:
    regardless of whether we think they should or shouldn't, everybody should have the right to reproduce provided they can afford it

ReputationRep:
    Many people with physical disabilities also lead a functional life. My dad has epilepsy and a brain injury. For the most part, he's able to lead a normal life. (although, his memory is somewhat screwed and he doesn't always get the right words out)

Many people with Aspergers lead a normal life and many don't. You can't make generalisations like that.

And what happens to people like me whose parents became disabled later on in life? I was 15 when my dad became disabled.
    Sure, i'm only really talking about things which are both hereditary and mean they'll need to be in a wheel chair, can't work or need carers ect.. those who a drain on society. Some things will cause that, some won't.

There aren't tests for every single genetic disease out there. So what happens there then? I have at least one condition that's lagely genetic and we're not sure on the causes of the rest.

You have no way of knowing whether or indeed how a child will function in life with a disability.
    Not for everything (but then why would the parent take the risk?) but we are getting to a point where genetic testing is possible. If i enacted such policy then the NHS could be made to take a genetic sample for review as the norm. I've no objection to getting pregnant so long as people are checked.

With some things your right. Equally though if you know there's a 90% chance your child will never walk.. well the solution is unfortunately obvious.

(Original post by Kadak)
    I thought in 2015 people aren`t discriminated against because of their disability. We all carry the genes for genetic diseases but some people are unlucky to have it expressed. Your views are appalling.
    They are not in general but i'm not doing anything that would harm them. Financial incentives do not have to be taken up and we have a surplus of adoption stock.

Sure, but we can assess during pregnancy.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you. Someone who is talking sense.
    I said that too :sad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anosmianAcrimony)
    Yet many parents would be content raising a child with Down's Syndrome, and would in fact do a good job of it. Your policy would abort many foetuses that could have had happy lives. Furthermore, many people with physical or mental disabilities nonetheless have something very important to offer to society. Your policy would have aborted Stephen Hawking, for example.

While we obviously can't detect which foetuses will grow up to be über-geniuses, I think it's important to recognise that many parents have a better idea of whether they could raise a disabled child than the government would. While I concede that abortion may be the best thing for some disabled foetuses, I don't think that they should be aborted the instant a disability is detected.
    How do you know this? ALS is only inherited in about 5-10% of cases, never mind detectable.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.