The Student Room Group

What would you do if you're son was gay?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by askew116
As a gay guy, your sentiment here is really appreciated, except for being upset at hiding it...

...I didn't come out to my parents until about 3-4 years after I was sure I was gay, but it had nothing to do with fear of my parent's reaction. It was more to do with standard teenage hormones kicking in, combined with being gay, confusing the hell out of me.

Coming out is a process, the timing of which is more to do with the person in question's physiological and psychological development than the attitudes of the parent.

This isn't meant as a criticism, simply a reassurance that if your offspring were gay, hiding it for a few years is no reflection on you, and more a symptom of adolescence.

I know, I'm bisexual and wasn't even comfortable enough to refer to myself in my own head as bi until I was 19, didn't come out until I was 21. Tbh I never intended to come out, until I fell for a male student at my uni, I felt I had to tell people then or it'd drive me mad. I'd just hope for a world in the future in which being gay is no longer a social stigma at all, so there would be no need for discomfort in coming out.
(edited 9 years ago)
I agree I think it's religions mostly that put down gays because of what their book teachs. I even get a little sad when the pastor disrespects gays. I just think as long as they live a good life I couldn't care less about their sexuality.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I wouldn't treat them any differently. As long as they were happy and weren't hurting anyone, then I wouldn't have a problem.

Posted from TSR Mobile
nothing, its his life and as long as hes happy i dont care what his sexuality is
Reply 44
I'd be slightly disappointed but I would still love him and learn to accept his sexual orientation. At the end of the day, your parents are the closest people to you so the support you receive from them can be very influential. It would have been nice to see your child with their own family though.
Original post by Zeetingman
Just a random thought that came into my head.
In this situation...I really don't know what I would do to be honest. Maybe i'd act a little shocked at first but then i'll respect him for his decision as long as he lives a good life.

Good on you for being so open minded; but please remember it's not a decision, or else I would have decided to make my life so much easier and be straight.
Reply 46
Make a joke to my other kids about having to make up the numbers for grandkids :tongue:
Original post by Zeetingman
Just a random thought that came into my head.
In this situation...I really don't know what I would do to be honest. Maybe i'd act a little shocked at first but then i'll respect him for his decision as long as he lives a good life.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'd be a bit disappointed my kid won't give me grandkids and a bit put off by what gay sex entails, but I would accept him for who he is and just want to see him happy 👍.Because to fair I've never been happy with relationships in my life and would never prevent someone from being happy😢.
(edited 9 years ago)
All the people saying they'd be upset about the lack of grandchildren, wouldn't you accept an adopted child as your grandchild?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending