Domestic violence against men Watch

Princess_Peach
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
(Original post by Bedshaped)
I'm sure people would look at this and be like "WTF?!?!"

I mean the guy got his head bashed in by a baseball bat. That girl is obviously crazy and therefore people will feel sorry for the guy.
Of course they will feel sorry for him. He's just been attacked.
Jokerman
Report 12 years ago
Guys have a very weak point between their legs, even a midget can take a guy down by hitting them there.
Bedshaped
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Why is there very little uproar when a woman hits a man? But when the reverse happens people go crazy!
Of course they will feel sorry for him. He's just been attacked.
You just contradicted yourself. I mean, if a guy got beat the **** out of by his lover. I'm sure people would be like "WTF?!?!!?!"
Princess_Peach
Rep:
?
You just contradicted yourself. I mean, if a guy got beat the **** out of by his lover. I'm sure people would be like "WTF?!?!!?!"
I have not contradicted myself. People would feel sorry for him in this instance because they know ALL the facts. However because of the stigma attached to men who suffer abuse at the hands of women (stigma which you so readily dish out), men rarely have the confidence to come forth when they are attacked. It's a vicious circle. Men are attacked >>>> People like you think they are wuzzies >>>> so they lack confidence to report the attack >>>>> violent women think "aye up. This is great. I can get away with this" >>>>>> men are attacked again
Bedshaped
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
how the hell are you a wuss if you got beaten by some crazy woman? I can't imagine anyone doing this unless the violence was continuous. Seriously you are talking complete bull****.
always + forever
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I'm guessing it's not considered as so important because it is far far less prevalent that domestic violence against women. that's not to say that it's inherently less important, but if we're playing a numbers game women are much more likely to a victim of domestic violence, and the harm done to them by a man is likely to be significantly worse than a women could do to a man (excluding circumstances where weapons, such as knives are used.) I think I read some where that one in four women will at some point in her life be a victim of domestic violence. However, a women is on average beaten up 15 times before she seeks advice from an outside source.
grace
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
how the hell are you a wuss if you got beaten by some crazy woman? I can't imagine anyone doing this unless the violence was continuous. Seriously you are talking complete bull****.
you're the one talking bull, you are seriously, seriously niave. I personally come from a family where my father was a victim of domestic abuse. My mother was a thin, feminine woman and my dad is a 6 foot tall athletic newzealander.

My mother was a violent alcoholic, far inferior in strength to my father but still able to put up a good fight; when she'd attack my dad he would hold her off but never never hit her. she'd have bruises on her wrists from where she struggled so hard against him. Just because women can't punch like a mandoesn't mean they can't fight; she'd bite and scratch and kick and end up crying to her friends about how cruel her husband was, leaving bruises on her when actually he was using his strength to fend her off. They all felt sorry for her. i've seen her whack him in the head with a stilletto when her physical strength failed to affect him. He refused to fight back, because he loved her, and after she'd beat him and passed out in her own vomit he would still lovingly wash her and put her to bed.

When they finally divorced, he had to spend ****loads in legal fees and have a three year court battle before he was granted custody of us kids, in spite of the fact that my mother was an adulterous, abusive, unemployed alcoholic and my dad was financially stable, had a good career and all of us kids wanted to live with him.

he is an example of a real man, amazingly strong and the epitome of masculinity. Little boys like you talking **** need to grow up and find out what makes a real man.
Sarky
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
People don't seem to understand that a big part of domestic violence is the psychological power trip that the abusive partner has. You can be 5ft nothing but if the other person is weaker or has a flaw that can be exploited then anyone can be abused.
munchkin18
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by grace)
you're the one talking bull, you are seriously, seriously niave. I personally come from a family where my father was a victim of domestic abuse. My mother was a thin, feminine woman and my dad is a 6 foot tall athletic newzealander.

My mother was a violent alcoholic, far inferior in strength to my father but still able to put up a good fight; when she'd attack my dad he would hold her off but never never hit her. she'd have bruises on her wrists from where she struggled so hard against him. Just because women can't punch like a mandoesn't mean they can't fight; she'd bite and scratch and kick and end up crying to her friends about how cruel her husband was, leaving bruises on her when actually he was using his strength to fend her off. They all felt sorry for her. i've seen her whack him in the head with a stilletto when her physical strength failed to affect him. He refused to fight back, because he loved her, and after she'd beat him and passed out in her own vomit he would still lovingly wash her and put her to bed.

When they finally divorced, he had to spend ****loads in legal fees and have a three year court battle before he was granted custody of us kids, in spite of the fact that my mother was an adulterous, abusive, unemployed alcoholic and my dad was financially stable, had a good career and all of us kids wanted to live with him.

he is an example of a real man, amazingly strong and the epitome of masculinity. Little boys like you talking **** need to grow up and find out what makes a real man.
your post nearly made me cry, your dad sounds like an amazing man.
Bedshaped
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by grace)

Do not take this personally but I think your father was wrong in the way he handled things.

Why would you put up with a woman hitting you? If your 6ft and stronger. Just tell her that if she touches you again your gonna walk out. I can't believe a man would do this, but obviously, as you have pointed out, they do. I personally believe a man can actually defend himself whereas a woman cannot which means women are often given more "attention" in there cases.

Men should be able to stand up for themselves.
Princess_Peach
Rep:
?
(Original post by grace)

That is so true

Thank you for sharing your story :hugs:
munchkin18
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Do not take this personally but I think your father was wrong in the way he handled things.

Why would you put up with a woman hitting you? If your 6ft and stronger. Just tell her that if she touches you again your gonna walk out. I can't believe a man would do this, but obviously, as you have pointed out, they do. I personally believe a man can actually defend himself whereas a woman cannot which means women are often given more "attention" in there cases.

Men should be able to stand up for themselves.
how can you say that? it comes down to love. in most cases of domestic violence the victim stays in the relationship for a very long time, and for a number of reasons. kids could be involved, victims live in fear of what their partner might do next, and in many cases, be it a man or a woman, victims have very little self confidence, not enough confidence to walk out of the relationship. if you've been married for years and have children do you really think it's so easy to walk out?
Bedshaped
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by munchkin18)
how can you say that? it comes down to love. in most cases of domestic violence the victim stays in the relationship for a very long time, and for a number of reasons. kids could be involved, victims live in fear of what their partner might do next, and in many cases, be it a man or a woman, victims have very little self confidence, not enough confidence to walk out of the relationship. if you've been married for years and have children do you really think it's so easy to walk out?
Walk out. Walk back in. She stops, apologises. If she starts again again, repeat till fade.
munchkin18
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
and what effect is that going to have on children?? (if there are any).
Elegy
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Violence against men is a serious issue. Women are generally physically smaller and weaker than men but violence does not necessarily have to be physical - women are far more likely to use weapons and psychological manipulation to get what they want.

Statistics suggest that violence against women is greater than violence against men, but not by the huge margin most people assume.

http://www.batteredmen.com/
Princess_Peach
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ron Stoppable)
To the people who claim that women never injure their partners - clicky!
Perfect example! If that doesn't get through - nothing will.
Jokerman
Report 12 years ago
@ Elegy
that site made me feel so sad. It's a shame how understated it is, and they say where in a age of "equal rights".
Student2000
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Mylla)
but if we're playing a numbers game women are much more likely to a victim of domestic violence, and the harm done to them by a man is likely to be significantly worse than a women could do to a man (excluding circumstances where weapons, such as knives are used.) I think I read some where that one in four women will at some point in her life be a victim of domestic violence. However, a women is on average beaten up 15 times before she seeks advice from an outside source.
Numerous studies have shown that women are as violent as men in relationships, it is just that women are much more likely to report violence and society is much more focussed on women being the victims and men being the enemy. Most of the statistics regarding domestic violence like the ones you have quoted are very unreliable. For example the one in four statistic included pushing and grabbing over a whole lifetime. How many women can say they have never pushed or grabbed a man once during their whole lives? Why was a corresponding survey not completed for men?
always + forever
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
well, domestic violence is a bigger problem for women then for men - The British Crime Survey (BCS) can provide trend information on the number of incidents of domestic violence against women since 1981. The BCS estimates that there were 635,000 incidents of domestic violence in 2001/2 (514,000 against women and 122,00 against men) from: http://www.crimereduction.gov.uk/dv/dv03a.htm#5

While I definatley agree it is a problem, I don't think that there are approx 400,000 men in abusive relationship that have not reported it.
Student2000
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Mylla)
well, domestic violence is a bigger problem for women then for men - The British Crime Survey (BCS) can provide trend information on the number of incidents of domestic violence against women since 1981. The BCS estimates that there were 635,000 incidents of domestic violence in 2001/2 (514,000 against women and 122,00 against men) from: http://www.crimereduction.gov.uk/dv/dv03a.htm#5

While I definatley agree it is a problem, I don't think that there are approx 400,000 men in abusive relationship that have not reported it.
Unfortunately, it is people like you who perpetrate the disparity in the reporting of incidents. No wonder men don't come forward when there are people like you around constantly peddling these unreliable statisitics and estimations to try to downplay violence against men.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (26)
49.06%
No - but I will (1)
1.89%
No - I don't want to (1)
1.89%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (25)
47.17%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise