Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I think I'm taking OCR Triple Science, AQA Geography and OCR Hisory for my options. I've already done AQA French speaking/writing assessments and I'm doing the reading and listening exams in May so I've already got a bit of GCSE experience now luckily. Just wondering, if anyone could tell me what my three options might be like if they've done them or are doing them it'd be really helpful as those 3 aren't set in stone yet. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    How many gcses do most people do? I am doing 12 next year and I'm a bit worried about having enough lesson time/ revision time
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Matildascarlett)
    How many gcses do most people do? I am doing 12 next year and I'm a bit worried about having enough lesson time/ revision time
    :hi: Hi I'm karmacrunch and I'm in Y10. Most people do around 10 so you'll be absolutely fine! You should have plenty of lesson and revision time. Don't worry too much now!

(Original post by daydreamingx)
    I think I'm taking OCR Triple Science, AQA Geography and OCR Hisory for my options. I've already done AQA French speaking/writing assessments and I'm doing the reading and listening exams in May so I've already got a bit of GCSE experience now luckily. Just wondering, if anyone could tell me what my three options might be like if they've done them or are doing them it'd be really helpful as those 3 aren't set in stone yet. Thanks
    Hi! I'm karmacrunch and I'm in Y10. :hi: Out of your (prospective) options I do Geography! The quotes below are replies Gingerbread and I gave to another member. Do they help at all? Ask any other questions if you have any!!

(Original post by karmacrunch)
    Well... Geography... :ahee: I love it so much as there is so much interesting content! It will be fine! I think you'll know about the two main types of Geography? Physical and Human? Well there is a good split between them in the AQA specification and at many times they interlink. Therefore, don't worry about not liking particular topics... there is a good mix.

I'm sure you'll have heard that there are quite a few case studies from other people but don't be put off by that! Don't treat them as something you have to memorise. Try to learn them, like general knowledge and it's much easier to retain everything. :yep:

I know that your GCSEs are changing but there should still be some similarities. I'm currently on AQA Spec A.
    From Gingerbread!
    (Original post by Gingerbread101)
    Hey there I'm a Community Assistant here, so if you're ever having any problems TSR or study related then let me know

For my GCSEs, out of the ones you did, I did:
    - History (AQA B): This was one of my favourite subjects, I've taken it for A Level There's quite a lot of dates and names to learn, but other than that it's about explaining events and their consequences, plus there's a lot of source skills too. The workload isn't that much either, just mainly practice essays :yep:
    - Triple Science (AQA): Also fairly easy to understand, by learning mark schemes of exam questions you can make sure you know how to get all of the marks It's all about understanding how to apply the knowledge, and it pretty easy to learn from the textbook

Read on for more subjects info!

- English lit and lang (both AQA): I'm a very humanities based student (took both at A Level), so if you ever need any help with them ask me The key is making sure your coursework is as good as it can be, then learn how to structure your exam questions as there's particular things you need to do for the marks
    - RE (OCR? Edexcel? Who knows, I did both short course and long course though): Very easy, no workload, just learn the opinions and about 4 reasons that you can just reuse, there's particular quotes which can be used for practically everything too
    - Maths (AQA): Once you know how to do something, you can just do it. Make sure you understand everything as you go along and ask your teacher for help if you get anything wrong I also took this for A LevelAgain, let me know if you need anything

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    From Gingerbread!
    Ooh look my advice is being spread :giggle:

ReputationRep:
    That's really helpful, thank you both so much
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Matildascarlett)
    It is a two year course so you should have enough time especially considering the holiday time :yep:

I do 11/12/13 (I can't remember:mmm:)
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Aww, you're welcome! + Thanks for the follow!

Quote any of us if you have more questions!
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    Thanks for the follow :hugs:
    Let us know if you need anything :yep:
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Thanks for the follow :hugs:
    Let us know if you need anything :yep:
    :five:

Kinda missing Y9. :mmm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    :five:

Kinda missing Y9. :mmm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Missing GCSE a little
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Missing GCSE a little
    :rofl::moon:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    How much of this thread are actually year 9's?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    How much of this thread are actually year 9's?
    I'm year 9!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Elijah Wilkinson)
    I'm year 9!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You're in a minority then

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Black Rose)
    Hello :wavey: Welcome to The Current Year 9 thread of 2014-15!

So, I've noticed that there have been quite a few Year 9s in the GCSE forum recently and thought I would make a thread for y'all so that you can talk to each other and discuss your options

Ice Breaker Questions

- Introduce yourself!
    - How are you finding Year 9?
    - What are you thinking of choosing for GCSE?
    - How do you feel about starting GCSEs?
    - What are your hobbies + Interests?

Useful Links:
    New GCSE Changes Explained
    GCSE forum (place for any questions, discussions you want to start etc)
    Study Help - if you ever need help on a particular subject

If you think there is something that should be added to this list then let me know

Quotes (these are some of the Year 9s that I've seen around on the GCSE forum, if you're in Year 9 then let me know and I'll add you onto the list :yep:)

Spoiler:
    Show

can you please add me
    Thanks
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Toastie2001)
    can you please add me
    Thanks
    Hi! :hi: I'm karmacrunch (I'm in Year 10) and I'm guessing that you're in Y9? Welcome to :tsr:!

How are you? + How has Year 9 been so far?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi! :hi: I'm karmacrunch (I'm in Year 10) and I'm guessing that you're in Y9? Welcome to :tsr:!

How are you? + How has Year 9 been so far?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hi Karmacrunch, I'm good. In my GCSEs I'll be taking electronic products, art, French, history and triple science, .

ReputationRep:
    I'm taking Art, History and Geography, as well as the core subjects and Computing (our school makes us take either this or I.T).
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Toastie2001)
    Hi Karmacrunch, I'm good. In my GCSEs I'll be taking electronic products, art, French, history and triple science, .
    Ah, okay! If you have any questions about your subjects (or Y10) just ask. I can ask others quote others here if you do have any Qs because I don't do any of yours, except for Triple Science and I do take a DT subject (Textiles)...

(Original post by Gribby2)
    I'm taking Art, History and Geography, as well as the core subjects and Computing (our school makes us take either this or I.T).
    Hi! I'm karmacrunch and welcome to :tsr:! I'm in Year 10 so you can ask me questions if you'd like. :yep:

How are you? + Are you excited about your options?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hello Karmacrunch, I am fine. I am excited for GCSE's, however, exams a rather an alarming prospect. Thank you for your support.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.