The Student Room Group

I'm a somali, muslim, female: AMA

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kadak
Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm hoping to study medicine with a foundation year or medical physics .

omg, SAME, just that I'm a few years behind you. good luck!
Original post by Kadak
Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm hoping to study medicine with a foundation year or medical physics 😄.

Original post by tangledinthemist

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ty and I wish you the same but I'm in as though but I'm planning ahead.My advice would be to get as many A*s as possible at Gcse.
they are labels that I'm proud to be despite the negative connotations they carry in this modern society. each one of those labels faces discrimination and isolation and me being all three of them makes me a target whether its racism or islamaphobia or just gender injustice. so I feel that if I am able to be all those things in one body yet still be an example of where hard work can take you, then I guess my aim is accomplished. its not about the labels, it's about what you make of them.

i like how you explained that
I have a few bc I'm very nosy aha
1) How do you feel about living in England?
2) What do you miss most about Somalia?
3) What is the funniest or most inaccurate stereotype someone has said to you about Somalia?
ah i wish i had a good story behind it; heres one anyway
i was high on cookies... my brain felt tangled...in the mist. rip.

my fav part of my belief is the sense of belonging i share with my millions of fellow muslims of all backgrounds and races this is at its best when you go on hajj....mind blowing diversity.
as for your second question,( grwat question btw)
periods where ive doubted my beliefs?-no.
periods where ive questioned my beliefs - constantly. as muslims we are encouraged to question everything and never take things at face value. in the quran we are constantly reminded to seek to question and explore the basis and reasons for believing in islam- to reflect and contemplate. for me thats what sets islam apart from all other beliefs, nothing is left unanswered and blindly accepted ( which i find is the case for some beliefs such as the trinity).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha, the first thing I thought of was Disney's Tangled but with a mysterious twist: mist!

I was raised Muslim but I haven't been entirely certain about what I believe in over the last few years. I've always been interested in Islam and its history. I'll always hold the faith in high esteem because it's a huge part of my cultural identity and some of the best people I'll ever know are Muslim. I go through periods where I strongly believe in God and times where I'm just not sure.

I know what you mean about the sense of unity. For me that feeling is always at its strongest during Ramzaan. I like fasting! In fact, I've recently started fasting intermittently as a way of regulating my eating habits [I've been eating too much junk-food lately]

Thanks for your response :smile:
Original post by louisadempsey
I have a few bc I'm very nosy aha
1) How do you feel about living in England?
2) What do you miss most about Somalia?
3) What is the funniest or most inaccurate stereotype someone has said to you about Somalia?

haha :smile:
1. I love it, I was born here so it feels like home and I would never change that for anything- I love that its so multicultural and yet so british. its great, well except the rain, the rain, and the rain...
2. I vistited Somalia a few years back on holiday, and one thing I miss was the sense of freedom, everyone knows everyone so you're free to go out whenever you want, with who you want without fear of getting lost or anything. people who you don't even know were related to you ask you how your mother is and keep an eye on you, telling others at the place your going to keep a look out too. such a tight knit community its so refreshing. here parents worry if their children arnt back before 6/7 whereas there, we would spend the night at a relatives house and not even sleep, too busy catching up on stories and life. but then again I guess that might have been because of people's fear of terror groups and so they become extra protective of each other.. I dunno.

3- umm, theres so many and I cant remember the best ones right now. but one time I told someone I was from Somalia and they were like, "is that in the middle east?" I was like, do I look middle eastern? I guess its because apparently Somalis don't look like other Africans (because they're of arab descent)
the pirate one is so popular now some Somalis have adopted it as a joke to call themselves pirate brothers:smile:
Original post by iammeyouareyou
Haha, the first thing I thought of was Disney's Tangled but with a mysterious twist: mist!

I was raised Muslim but I haven't been entirely certain about what I believe in over the last few years. I've always been interested in Islam and its history. I'll always hold the faith in high esteem because it's a huge part of my cultural identity and some of the best people I'll ever know are Muslim. I go through periods where I strongly believe in God and times where I'm just not sure.

I know what you mean about the sense of unity. For me that feeling is always at its strongest during Ramzaan. I like fasting! In fact, I've recently started fasting intermittently as a way of regulating my eating habits [I've been eating too much junk-food lately]

Thanks for your response :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Wow where are you from!?
mods put are putting this thread in the "recycling bin". can someone tell me what that means plz?
Original post by Kadak
Posted from TSR Mobile
Wow where are you from!?

Why wow?

I don't know why I came out with all that. Sometimes I talk and don't stop.

Such an equivocal question :tongue: Are you asking me where I'm from ethnically or where I'm from in Britain?
Why wow?

I don't know why I came out with all that. Sometimes I talk and don't stop.

Such an equivocal question :tongue: Are you asking me where I'm from ethnically or where I'm from in Britain?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Both 😃.
Original post by Kadak
Posted from TSR Mobile
Both ������.

Ethnically: Pakistan

Geographically: North-east England.
Posted from TSR Mobile
Ooh nice Can I guess what city in Pakistan your from?
Ethnically: Pakistan

Geographically: North-east England.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lahore
Islamabad
Peshawar
Karachi
Any of these above ^
Original post by Kadak
Posted from TSR Mobile

Lahore
Islamabad
Peshawar
Karachi
Any of these above ^

None of the above :tongue:. It's only my parents that were born in Pakistan. I was born dans le nord-est de l'angleterre.
None of the above :tongue:. It's only my parents that were born in Pakistan. I was born dans le nord-est de l'angleterre.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ooh nice French what subjects or degree are you studying?
haha :smile:
1. I love it, I was born here so it feels like home and I would never change that for anything- I love that its so multicultural and yet so british. its great, well except the rain, the rain, and the rain...
2. I vistited Somalia a few years back on holiday, and one thing I miss was the sense of freedom, everyone knows everyone so you're free to go out whenever you want, with who you want without fear of getting lost or anything. people who you don't even know were related to you ask you how your mother is and keep an eye on you, telling others at the place your going to keep a look out too. such a tight knit community its so refreshing. here parents worry if their children arnt back before 6/7 whereas there, we would spend the night at a relatives house and not even sleep, too busy catching up on stories and life. but then again I guess that might have been because of people's fear of terror groups and so they become extra protective of each other.. I dunno.

3- umm, theres so many and I cant remember the best ones right now. but one time I told someone I was from Somalia and they were like, "is that in the middle east?" I was like, do I look middle eastern? I guess its because apparently Somalis don't look like other Africans (because they're of arab descent)
the pirate one is so popular now some Somalis have adopted it as a joke to call themselves pirate brothers:smile:

Somalis are not of Arab descent.

stop throwing misinformation at non somalis

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kadak
Posted from TSR Mobile

Ooh nice French what subjects or degree are you studying?

Haha, thanks. I studied a Literature degree.
I slightly feel like I'm hijacking OP's thread by talking about myself in a thread that is supposed to be about OP :/
Original post by missfats
Somalis are not of Arab descent.

stop throwing misinformation at non somalis

Posted from TSR Mobile

Im sorry if that cuased any confusion but i read somewhere that they share a specific gene with people from egypt and/ yemen. Also the acient trade routes within somalia through to neighbouring arab nations meant that some ppl married into those ethnicities and thus their children were of arab descent (esp yemen). despite that, i know that somalis are known for marrying within their culture and thats what makes them so unique. again i apologise if that was misinformation but it was something i read (think it was on wiki i'll try find the link) and even then i wasnt completely convinced of it hence why i put it in brackets and used the word "apparently" before it hinting my doubts. However whether it is completely accurate or not, i was using it to present a point and did not intend to claim it as fact nor to cause offence.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Haha, thanks. I studied a Literature degree.
I slightly feel like I'm hijacking OP's thread by talking about myself in a thread that is supposed to be about OP :/

No its alright feel free, i dont mind at all. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest