ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Icebaker)
    Zidan
    Ronaldo
    Ronaldinho
    Figo
    Roberto Carlos

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Good shout on Figo and Ronaldinhop. God, there's so many brazilians.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Baelish)
    Mine are:

1. Cristiano Ronaldo
    2. Lionel Messi
    3. Zinedine Zidane
    4. Thierry Henry
    5. Andres Iniesta

All of these players are or were footballing magicians. I've had the privilege of watching them all live except for Zidane. I'd have loved to watch Zidane dictate a match in the way that he does. Out of them all though I have to admit that I enjoyed watching Henry the most.
    Seems as though you never watched football in the 80s and 90s, never mind the Brazil sides in the 70s. Of the above players, only Messi and Ronaldo and Zidane deserve to be in the same league. Thierry Henry didn't excel in Europe for Arsenal or Barca, nor really caught fire for France bar the odd rare magic here and there. He stands out most as a strange choice from your list. Iniesta was brilliant for possession and passing football, but never scored enough goals to be considered a top 10 player of all time.

You may have watched Batistuta, Maradona, Raul, Ronaldo, Figo, Rivaldo, Ronaldinho in the 90s? Ronaldinho stands out as the most technically gifted flair player of all time, when at Barca. Roberto Baggio was awesome for Juve and Italy.

For me, the player I loved watching most was probably Ryan Giggs at his best, such as the goal he scored against Juventus in the 3-2 win at Old Trafford, and his goal against Arsenal in the 2-1 FA cup semi-final win. If only he played like this more often, then he would be the equal of Maradona.

ReputationRep:
    Zidane, Maldini, Zannetti, Vieira and Gerrard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jammy4041)
    Zidane, Maldini, Zannetti, Vieira and Gerrard.
    Vieira went missing in European football, even against the weak sides.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blitzkrieg15)
    Vieira went missing in European football, even against the weak sides.

The thread title makes it very clear this is down to personal opinion. It isn't asking who the best players are. Beckham isn't a top five player in my lifetime for example.

ReputationRep:
    Iniesta was brilliant for possession and passing football, but never scored enough goals to be considered a top 10 player of all time.
    True he doesn't score that many goals but surely it's the importance of the goals which matter more?

It was Iniesta's last minute goal that sent Barcelona through against Chelsea in the CL where they ultimately won the competition.

It was Iniesta's goal which wont Spain the world cup against Netherlands.

And in every other cup final where he may not have scored he was still influential (e.g got man of the match in the euro 2012 final)

ReputationRep:
    lol its top 5 favourite, i.e im not saying the god Dejan is a better player than Ronaldo just that i prefer him on a personal level.

ReputationRep:
    Henry
    Kaka
    Messi
    Ronaldinho
    Zizzu

ReputationRep:
    Seems as though you never watched football in the 80s and 90s, never mind the Brazil sides in the 70s. Of the above players, only Messi and Ronaldo and Zidane deserve to be in the same league. Thierry Henry didn't excel in Europe for Arsenal or Barca, nor really caught fire for France bar the odd rare magic here and there. He stands out most as a strange choice from your list. Iniesta was brilliant for possession and passing football, but never scored enough goals to be considered a top 10 player of all time.

You may have watched Batistuta, Maradona, Raul, Ronaldo, Figo, Rivaldo, Ronaldinho in the 90s? Ronaldinho stands out as the most technically gifted flair player of all time, when at Barca. Roberto Baggio was awesome for Juve and Italy.

For me, the player I loved watching most was probably Ryan Giggs at his best, such as the goal he scored against Juventus in the 3-2 win at Old Trafford, and his goal against Arsenal in the 2-1 FA cup semi-final win. If only he played like this more often, then he would be the equal of Maradona.
    Most people on here weren't even born in the 80's and even fewer in the 70's so of course they wouldn't have been watching football. You can say Henry didn't excel in Europe but he's good for 5th all time in goals, playing mostly for a team that wasn't that great in comparison to its competition. Nobody said it was about the best players, it's favourites. I wouldn't agree with your comment on Ronaldinho, CR7 is more technically gifted and also demonstrated it for much longer. You're comparing Giggs, a player who never played in a world, to a man who essentially won a World Cup on his own? Not only is that crazy but I very much doubt Giggs was ever even as good as Bale was in his last year in the premiership

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wade-)
    Most people on here weren't even born in the 80's and even fewer in the 70's so of course they wouldn't have been watching football. You can say Henry didn't excel in Europe but he's good for 5th all time in goals, playing mostly for a team that wasn't that great in comparison to its competition. Nobody said it was about the best players, it's favourites. I wouldn't agree with your comment on Ronaldinho, CR7 is more technically gifted and also demonstrated it for much longer. You're comparing Giggs, a player who never played in a world, to a man who essentially won a World Cup on his own? Not only is that crazy but I very much doubt Giggs was ever even as good as Bale was in his last year in the premiership

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You have missed the point completely! What level are you at school? There have been plenty of programmes on youtube and on tv to see how good players in the 70s, 80s etc were. If you haven't seen them then you are a bit like a GCSE student who wants to earn a PhD, need to walk before you can run.

ReputationRep:
    You have missed the point completely! What level are you at school?
    :lol: what's your top 5 then...

ReputationRep:
    Cruyff, Bergkamp, Henry, Zidane, Fat Ronaldo

ReputationRep:
    You have missed the point completely! What level are you at school? There have been plenty of programmes on youtube and on tv to see how good players in the 70s, 80s etc were. If you haven't seen them then you are a bit like a GCSE student who wants to earn a PhD, need to walk before you can run.
    So you can decide a player is your all time favourite based on watching a 30 minute documentary on sky sports? That's utterly ridiculous. I judge footballers based on who I've see, it's not hard to look good in a highlight clip on YouTube

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Wade-;53509935]So you can decide a player is your all time favourite based on watching a 30 minute documentary on sky sports? That's utterly ridiculous. I judge footballers based on who I've see, it's not hard to look good in a highlight clip on YouTube

I'm not sure why I even justified your response by replying to it myself, it was clear ad hominem

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wade-)
    So you can decide a player is your all time favourite based on watching a 30 minute documentary on sky sports? That's utterly ridiculous. I judge footballers based on who I've see, it's not hard to look good in a highlight clip on YouTube

Posted from TSR Mobile
    So you discard Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Best etc because you are too lazy to look for videos and dvds to see how good they were? Have you ever heard of the great Brazil side of 1970, said to be the best team of any era?

Good luck with your GCSEs.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Wade-;53510049]
    (Original post by Wade-)

I'm not sure why I even justified your response by replying to it myself, it was clear ad hominem

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wasn't born during the Second World War, but have researched it to death on youtube and elsewhere. Likewise with football, do your research.

ReputationRep:
    I'll only list the players I've seen play in my lifetime...

1. Iniesta
    2. Messi
    3. C Ronaldo
    4. Xavi
    5. Scholes

4/5 of the players I've listed are incredible passers of the ball, Scholes' long range passing were brilliant. Zidane would be 6th because I haven't watched enough of him. That game where he dominated Brazil in the World Cup QF was ridiculous stuff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wade-)
    It just says 'your top five favourite', surely it's down to the individual to pick their own for whatever reason?

If it said best five ever, then fair enough, but it doesn't say that. This is down to individual choice.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.