Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

How many people on TSR are White British, how many are not? watch

• View Poll Results: Are you White British?
    Yes
    47.71%
    Nope
    52.29%

ReputationRep:
    White British here, with white British parents and grandparents (no idea about anyone further up my family tree)
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by beyknowles)
    wow, tu as quatre enfants? ils parlent qu'anglais? et tu écris un livre? très impresionante! il s'agit de quoi (puis-je demander?). merci de m'avoir tenu au courant des règles!

translation:
    wow, you have four children? do they only speak english? and you're writing a book? very impressive! what is it about (can i ask?). thanks for keeping me up to date with the rules!
    Oui ils parlent seulement en anglais, mais ils apprennent l'espagnol a l'école primaire.
    A ce moment j'écris mon deuxième roman. C'est une continuation de ma premiere livre, Wolf Born, une histoire des loup garous. Si tu veux, tu peux voir mon site de web ici www.wolfborn.co.uk
    et bien sur de rien

translation :

Yes they speak only English, but they learn Spanish at primary school. At the moment I'm writing my second novel. It's a continuation of my first book, Wolf Born, a story of werewolves. If you want, you can look at my website here : (link)
    and of course you're welcome

(my grammar is probably off as usual but what the hell. I muddle by. I speak French almost as well as my dad speaks English haha).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PinkMobilePhone)
    Oui ils parlent seulement en anglais, mais ils apprennent l'espagnol a l'école primaire.
    A ce moment j'écris mon deuxième roman. C'est une continuation de ma premiere livre, Wolf Born, une histoire des loup garous. Si tu veux, tu peux voir mon site de web ici www.wolfborn.co.uk
    et bien sur de rien

translation :

Yes they speak only English, but they learn Spanish at primary school. At the moment I'm writing my second novel. It's a continuation of my first book, Wolf Born, a story of werewolves. If you want, you can look at my website here : (link)
    and of course you're welcome

(my grammar is probably off as usual but what the hell. I muddle by. I speak French almost as well as my dad speaks English haha).
    ben je te souhaite bcp de réussite avec ton écriture! les gens comme toi sont des sources d'inspiration pour les écrivains amaeteurs! tes enfants pourraient t'enseigner l'espagnol?

i wish you success with your writing! people like you are sources of inspiration for amateur writers. your children could teach you spanish?

ReputationRep:
    White European

ReputationRep:
    Chinese. It's a shame that Chinese isn't part of "Asian" in census/government forms though.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    ben je te souhaite bcp de réussite avec ton écriture! les gens comme toi sont des sources d'inspiration pour les écrivains amaeteurs! tes enfants pourraient t'enseigner l'espagnol?

i wish you success with your writing! people like you are sources of inspiration for amateur writers. your children could teach you spanish?
    I have an A level in Spanish already so I can just about get by on holiday lol. I don't think I'm gonna need it for anything more than 10 day breaks in Salou :-p

And many thanks for your support

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PinkMobilePhone)
    I have an A level in Spanish already so I can just about get by on holiday lol. I don't think I'm gonna need it for anything more than 10 day breaks in Salou :-p

And many thanks for your support
    quiero aprender español! à ton avis, is spanish much harder/easier than french?
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    quiero aprender español! à ton avis, is spanish much harder/easier than french?
    for someone who has never learned either, I would say spanish is easier. it's more logical.

But for me as I already had a grounding in french, I found french easier.

they're both romance languages so they have their similarities. Italian is very similar to spanish as well except that they do sometimes use gender neutral words (but not many).

Hardest language I've ever studied is by far Polish. I still cannot get my head around it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TorpidPhil)
    Poll time I guess. Granted these polls aren't perfect what else can we do?
    we can wait for a more useful poll

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ICF)
    we can wait for a more useful poll
    I should have split White-british and white-other and other-ethnicity.

ReputationRep:
    I should have split White-british and white-other and other-ethnicity.
    'white british ' is a very generalist term.

does a half afro carribean, half 'white' person count?

what about a 'white looking ' person born here who has, say, turkish heritage or central asian?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ICF)
    'white british ' is a very generalist term.

does a half afro carribean, half 'white' person count?

what about a 'white looking ' person born here who has, say, turkish heritage or central asian?
    That would not. That's mixed race. Now, I know obviously all British people really are "mixed race". I'm not entirely sure how many generations it goes back. But I guess ~5 is definitely enough to no longer call yourself mixed race...

ReputationRep:
    That would not. That's mixed race. Now, I know obviously all British people really are "mixed race". I'm not entirely sure how many generations it goes back. But I guess ~5 is definitely enough to no longer call yourself mixed race...
    still not very scientific, someone white with some african heritage going back more than 5 generations can still have a black baby. so its unlikely anyone is 100% genetically 'white' (if that is even possible)
    white europeans are much more mixed-raced than say, black aborigines, who were very isolated for thousands of years. europeans are essentially a mixed breed of nordic pale skinned peoples with blonde or red hair and southern and eastern people with black and brown hair and tanned skin. they are all of indo-european 'race' . But id guess youd call all of these people 'white' even fairly dark spanish and italians, then you can throw in the influences still with white people today that may have come from further afield (such as the curly hair gene, that is likely to come from some lineage from african subcontinent, such as semetic) so are white people with curly hair still 'white' seeing as the original native indo european peoples probably only had straight hair that came from central asia

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ICF)
    still not very scientific, someone white with some african heritage going back more than 5 generations can still have a black baby. so its unlikely anyone is 100% genetically 'white' (if that is even possible)
    white europeans are much more mixed-raced than say, black aborigines, who were very isolated for thousands of years. europeans are essentially a mixed breed of nordic pale skinned peoples with blonde or red hair and southern and eastern people with black and brown hair and tanned skin. they are all of indo-european 'race' . But id guess youd call all of these people 'white' even fairly dark spanish and italians, then you can throw in the influences still with white people today that may have come from further afield (such as the curly hair gene, that is likely to come form some lineage from african subcontinent) so are white people with curly hair still 'white' seeing as the original native indo european peoples probably only had straight hair that came from central asia
    Well this isn't part of a greater anthropological study. Rather it's sociological and so I'm more concerned here about race than ethnicity itself. Don't want to confuse people though so I tried to keep it simple.

ReputationRep:
    Nah, I'm brown british, admittedly I did think the majority of users here were white british though. So a bit surprised with the results so far, but yeah it doesn't really matter on the whole
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I'm mixed. So I'm half white British.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Chinese British

ReputationRep:
    I'm neither white nor British.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Multitalented me)
    Nah, I'm brown british, admittedly I did think the majority of users here were white british though. So a bit surprised with the results so far, but yeah it doesn't really matter on the whole
    I am slightly surprised too, even though, of course, I had noticed there were a lot of non-whites and a lot of non-british. I should have made a third option in hindsight though so we knew how many of those non-white British are other British, or white others or other others

Of course fundamentally it doesn't affect how I use the sight but I find these things interesting to know nonetheless and I think it does convey in some of the ways in which the TSR culture operates.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.