Turn on thread page Beta

Is the moto G 2014 a popular smartphone with sixth formers? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scrawlx101)
    Just asking because i want a new phone,this phone has been recommended to me since its available at my budget of £140(i could probably get £60 more from my dad).Any good phones you recommend i get at that price-anything more than £200 is pushing it? I currently have a samsung galaxy Y so i need an upgrade since im in 6th form and i keep getting teased by my friends...
    Try get the amazon fire phone if it's still on sale. I have it and am not complaining. If not get the Lumia 640 or the 640XL if you can push it they are also very good. But you should get hat is good for you not everyone else.

ReputationRep:
    tell that to my samsung galaxy young....

how does vodafone smart ultra compare to the moto g and the sony xperia M2?
    The Smart Ultra 6 is a step up from the Moto G- it's got a 1080p resolution screen instead of 720p, a more powerful processor, and a 13MP camera. The M2 is worse than the Moto G and not worth considering while it's a similar price in my opinion.

oneplusone isnt sold at carephone warehouse though?
    No, which is one of the things that lets the OnePlus One sell for ridiculously cheap while being very powerful.

plus using an SD card isnt really useful for moving apps like facebook as their still registered on my phone when i try to move them anyway? or do you use an sd card for music?
    Store apps on the internal storage, store media on the SD card, and you won't run into issues.

does the moto g have a 16gb model?
    Some places like Tesco sell a 16GB model.

and if i got a case with it do you think it would be fine?
    No, it would wreck the phone :lolwut: Of course it would be fine.

can you use any earphones with the moto g?
    99.99999% of headphones will technically work with the moto G. However if you're planning to spend hundreds of pounds on high end headphones, they won't work very well. Anything for sub-£100 will be absolutely fine.

oh yeah forgot to ask is the moto g compatiable with any network and can i do pay as you go(in theory its alot cheaper than contract as I'll be mostly whatsapping/communicating via FB)
    If you buy the phone unlocked (basically if you're buying first hand and it's not from a network's store and it doesn't have a sim card already, it's unlocked) then you can use it with any UK carrier. If you buy it from a network with one of their SIMs it will be locked to that network, although you can pay to have it unlocked.

All phones can be pay as you go.

do they give you a charger with the moto g when you buy it? what comes in the box?
    The box has the phone and a USB cable. Any USB wall plugs you use for your Galaxy Young will work fine with it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    The Smart Ultra 6 is a step up from the Moto G- it's got a 1080p resolution screen instead of 720p, a more powerful processor, and a 13MP camera. The M2 is worse than the Moto G and not worth considering while it's a similar price in my opinion.

No, which is one of the things that lets the OnePlus One sell for ridiculously cheap while being very powerful.

Store apps on the internal storage, store media on the SD card, and you won't run into issues.

99.99999% of headphones will technically work with the moto G. However if you're planning to spend hundreds of pounds on high end headphones, they won't work very well. Anything for sub-£100 will be absolutely fine.

If you buy the phone unlocked (basically if you're buying first hand and it's not from a network's store and it doesn't have a sim card already, it's unlocked) then you can use it with any UK carrier. If you buy it from a network with one of their SIMs it will be locked to that network, although you can pay to have it unlocked.

The box has the phone and a USB cable. Any USB wall plugs you use for your Galaxy Young will work fine with it.
    thanks alot just a question i was wondering how do i actually install media on my sd card? i have a micro one with my samsung galaxy young?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)

so
    over all you would suggest vodafone ultra smart 6? does the moto g have any pros over it?

i have £160 saved up but i may decided to contribute like £40 and ask my dad to pay the rest

ReputationRep:
    Gofre good news my dads agreed to buy me either the vodafone ultra smart 6 or the S4! He has hasn't told me which though...

ReputationRep:
    Gofre my dad said hed get me a 5c however i looked at gig size and i think 8gb is too small...any other phones in that price range/ no idea whether hes buying me a contract phone of PAYG?

ReputationRep:
    Gofre my dad said hed get me a 5c however i looked at gig size and i think 8gb is too small...any other phones in that price range/ no idea whether hes buying me a contract phone of PAYG?
    If you're still looking, Motorola just announced the new Moto G for 2015 and is a solid upgrade over the 2014 model with water resistance, better cameras and has the option of a 16GB storage / 2GB RAM model for around £200.

Also, with the announcement and "release" of the OnePlus 2, prices of the original OnePlus One have dropped, meaning the 64GB model is £219 which is outstanding value for a phone with specifications that eclipse the Moto G. You lose the water resistance, better customer/aftersales support, and expandable storage of the Moto G, but get similar cameras, much more fixed storage, a faster processor, an extra GB of RAM, a bigger higher resolution display for a similar price.

ReputationRep:
    The price he's paying could vary wildly depending on if it's being bought on contract, handset only or first hand, but there will be plenty of Android handsets in this price range with 8-16GB of internal storage plus additional microSD card slots. The perviously mentioned Android phones like the Moto G (old and new versions), Vodafone Smart Ultra 6, and older Samsung/HTC flagships all first this criteria nicely, depending on your exact budget and preferences.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 15, 2015
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.