Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emanueladiana)
    I've not idea what you're talking about
    I was referring to situations in which guys who were once romantic prospects end up in the friendzone (a place where the other person places someone when they decide they are only interested in a platonic connection)

when I quoted as break up reason the distance (long distance rel), my ex simply suggested to buy an apartment in my city. Not awkward at all, especially after 2 months dating
    How curious! You must have made quite an impression..

(proof that silliness doesn't always go away with age)
    True to say that age is no guarantee of anything where some of us are concerned :mmm:

I think he might have scared me into not dating anymore
    Aha, well, that is a bit full on, but you don't strike me as the type to scare easily, in truth, so I'd say that's a poor excuse young lady..

Haven't hear of girls refusing sex?
    Nope

Where do you live, Las Vegas? (or, I don't know, what places are slutty)
    London

And if you haven't heard guys begging... then you're either straight, or a bad looking gay guy
    I'm a gay (boyish good) looking straight guy, haha!

Spoiler:
    Show
    If only I were joking:mute:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foo.mp3)
    I was referring to situations in which guys who were once romantic prospects end up in the friendzone (a place where the other person places someone when they decide they are only interested in a platonic connection)

How curious! You must have made quite an impression..

True to say that age is no guarantee of anything where some of us are concerned :mmm:

Aha, well, that is a bit full on, but you don't strike me as the type to scare easily, in truth, so I'd say that's a poor excuse young lady..

Nope

London

I'm a gay (boyish good) looking straight guy, haha!

Spoiler:
    Show
    If only I were joking:mute:
    So. I was being sarcastic when I said I don't know what you're talking about and I was joking as well when I said he scared me.

Why did I have to choose all of my options in big bad London. (I feel the need to warn you, this is a joke again) I can't imagine the city's so full of ehem cough easy women.

We've got gay looking guys here too! I simply call them gay, and I secretly hope my cute insults will help them get out of the closet.

ReputationRep:
    So. I was being sarcastic when I said I don't know what you're talking about and I was joking as well when I said he scared me
    You tinker! :mmm:

Why did I have to choose all of my options in big bad London. (I feel the need to warn you, this is a joke again) I can't imagine the city's so full of ehem cough easy women
    You limited yourself to London only in your uni choices? :erm:

You'll find sex/drinking are an integral part of British youth culture in general, albeit perhaps less in the 'home counties' than the rest of the UK. It's virtually unheard of for a girl 16+ not to put out when dating, never mind when in a relationship. On topic:- it's extra tricky to escape the friendzone if you can't sexualise rhetoric/relations :naughty:

We've got gay looking guys here too! I simply call them gay, and I secretly hope my cute insults will help them get out of the closet
    Haha, yes I'm sure they appreciate the purely pro-social gesture my dear! :beard:

I don't really look gay, but I do have 'boyish good looks' so I attract more than my fair share of attention from gay men:mute:

ReputationRep:
    You tinker! :mmm:

You limited yourself to London only in your uni choices? :erm:

You'll find sex/drinking are an integral part of British youth culture in general, albeit perhaps less in the 'home counties' than the rest of the UK. It's virtually unheard of for a girl 16+ not to put out when dating, never mind when in a relationship. On topic:- it's extra tricky to escape the friendzone if you can't sexualise rhetoric/relations :naughty:

Haha, yes I'm sure they appreciate the purely pro-social gesture my dear! :beard:

I don't really look gay, but I do have 'boyish good looks' so I attract more than my fair share of attention from gay men:mute:
    Well, wait a sec, I'm in Romania, there are few things that can shock me. I'm sure your culture's not any different sex/drink wise than mine. I always had my group of 'abnormal' friends that don't do this, surely I'll find some people there too. I've never been in the friendzone, I don't think I ever will:-??

I know a couple of people in London, and taking into consideration the fact that 1. I don't have any friends coming with me and 2. I'm the kind of person that hits walls and doors because I didn't see them, I thought I wouldn't survive a day without somebody showing me around. And I like big cities

P.S. I got dumped for sex once, by a young, pretty dumb guy (cute tho). I found that smart guys think I'm a unicorn and have no prob with my conditions.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    The "friendzone" is just a sort of get out clause of any potential relationship that either partner does not want to be a part of. That is not to say that it's a bad thing, it has just become another cliché like "it's not you it's me" or "I have just gotten out of a serious relationship", I know plenty of guys that have been "friendzoned" and plenty of girls who've had the same. I think that it should be treated just plainly as an excuse rather than a state of perilous existence.

It is definitely a real phenomena in some situations. I was in a relationship with my ex for nearly two years before she decided she didn't love me any more and only wanted to have me as a friend, naturally I was distraught as I really REALLY didn't feel the same way. If that is not the friendzone then I don't know what is.

ReputationRep:
    I don't want a serious relationship at the moment and I've friend zoned a few girls, like the reasons some girls do it is because I rather have them about as friends then go out with them not work and lose them forever.

ReputationRep:
    I always had my group of 'abnormal' friends that don't do this, surely I'll find some people there too
    Yes you will, especially if you hang out with internationals in a London uni - plenty of 'abnormal' people to hang out with :mmm:

I've never been in the friendzone, I don't think I ever will
    Probably not, it's rare for guys to friendzone (attractive) girls completely, we're too driven

I know a couple of people in London, and taking into consideration the fact that 1. I don't have any friends coming with me and 2. I'm the kind of person that hits walls and doors because I didn't see them, I thought I wouldn't survive a day without somebody showing me around. And I like big cities
    Makes sense then I guess, although you seem sensible enough to me and I expect it would be more of a romantic adventure to try some other university towns..

I got dumped for sex once, by a young, pretty dumb guy (cute tho). I found that smart guys think I'm a unicorn and have no prob with my conditions
    Haha, a unicorn indeed? Not sure how apt that is, given the apparent lack of 'horn' :laugh:

In our culture nerdy guys won't mind, but smart guys who are successful with women will tend to go elsewhere if they can't 'get their oats', it's only natural

ReputationRep:
    attractive guys never get friendzoned. make of that what you will

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Expired Potato)
    the friendzone doesn't exist, got out of it twice.
    Surely if you've gotten "out of it" the mere action of getting out suggests that you were in the friendzone to begin with which supports the theory that it exists? :dontknow:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yes you will, especially if you hang out with internationals in a London uni - plenty of 'abnormal' people to hang out with :mmm:

Probably not, it's rare for guys to friendzone (attractive) girls completely, we're too driven

Makes sense then I guess, although you seem sensible enough to me and I expect it would be more of a romantic adventure to try some other university towns..

Haha, a unicorn indeed? Not sure how apt that is, given the apparent lack of 'horn' :laugh:

In our culture nerdy guys won't mind, but smart guys who are successful with women will tend to go elsewhere if they can't 'get their oats', it's only natural
    What are nerds in your opinion, if not smart successful people? (also, now that I'm thinking, maybe a more mature guys are ok with waiting because they thinking about settling? that's one scary perspective)

I notice you enjoy the idea of being able to 'read' people (or are you just subtly complimenting everyone to show just how subtle you are), so I won't spoil that too much for you, but travelling in a completely foreign country without any kind of guidance is the kind of thing I can't afford because of the great luck of being born in this great country. I'll earn more by working 20hrs a week part time than both my parents together, and they both have HE studies (nice salaries here, nonexistent in UK) so. mmyeap. I'll do the romantic thing later, when I'll be 50 and have paid all my debts.

And may I just add :3 'driven' isn't enough to describe guys, and what guys would do in hope of sex (spoiler-they'd wait. a lot.)

ReputationRep:
    What are nerds in your opinion, if not smart successful people?
    Nerds are people with poor social skills, poor hygiene, poor life skills that they have such limited life opportunities that they chose to retreat into an unhealthy fantasy world of comics and computer games.

Its sad really, someone needs to intervene in these people's lives and convince them they're throwing their lives away.

Nerds are the exact opposite of smart, successful people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cole-slaw)
    Nerds are people with poor social skills, poor hygiene, poor life skills that they have such limited life opportunities that they chose to retreat into an unhealthy fantasy world of comics and computer games.

Its sad really, someone needs to intervene in these people's lives and convince them they're throwing their lives away.

Nerds are the exact opposite of smart, successful people.
    Oh. Well. Here anybody with brains is automatically called a nerd. My bad :3

ReputationRep:
    attractive guys never get friendzoned. make of that what you will
    Not true. I'm no work of art but I'm reasonably attractive and was friendzoned left-right-and-centre as a schoolboy!

What are nerds in your opinion, if not smart successful people?
    A nerd is someone who is abnormally into their particular disciplines/interests, and places an abnormally high degree of emphasis on related attainment. They tend to be a little slanted in terms of what gratifies them :cyber: vs. the philistine who is slanted in the opposite direction :hump2:

(also, now that I'm thinking, maybe a more mature guys are ok with waiting because they thinking about settling? that's one scary perspective)
    Yup. An older, more experienced guy will only tend to wait for a girl to put out if he sees it as a worthwhile 'long term investment'

I notice you enjoy the idea of being able to 'read' people
    Sure, who doesn’t?

or are you just subtly complimenting everyone to show just how subtle you are
    Perhaps there’s a little of that thrown in too, for good measure, I can’t stand flattery but it costs nothing to acknowledge, and encourage others to reflect upon and explore themselves, their apparent positive qualities from time to time :top2:

I'll do the romantic thing later, when I'll be 50 and have paid all my debts
    Haha, you hard nosed diva you! :scrooge: I feel sure you will soften once you’re over here, even East Europeans have to soften sooner or later! :laugh:

may I just add :3 'driven' isn't enough to describe guys, and what guys would do in hope of sex (spoiler-they'd wait. a lot.)
    I blame you lot, for being so damn desirable, no wonder these guys get so ‘thirsty’! :drool:

Nerds are people with poor social skills, poor hygiene, poor life skills that they have such limited life opportunities that they chose to retreat into an unhealthy fantasy world of comics and computer games
    You appear to have conflated nerd with geek,* I’m pretty sure the OP wouldn’t mix it with any geeks

Oh. Well. Here anybody with brains is automatically called a nerd. My bad :3
    Here as in TSR, or as in Romania? :beard:

ReputationRep:
    Not true. I'm no work of art but I'm reasonably attractive and was friendzoned left-right-and-centre as a schoolboy!

A nerd is someone who is abnormally into their particular disciplines/interests, and places an abnormally high degree of emphasis on related attainment. They tend to be a little slanted in terms of what gratifies them :cyber: vs. the philistine who is slanted in the opposite direction :hump2:

Yup. An older, more experienced guy will only tend to wait for a girl to put out if he sees it as a worthwhile 'long term investment'

Sure, who doesn’t?

Perhaps there’s a little of that thrown in too, for good measure, I can’t stand flattery but it costs nothing to acknowledge, and encourage others to reflect upon and explore themselves, their apparent positive qualities from time to time :top2:

Haha, you hard nosed diva you! :scrooge: I feel sure you will soften once you’re over here, even East Europeans have to soften sooner or later! :laugh:

I blame you lot, for being so damn desirable, no wonder these guys get so ‘thirsty’! :drool:

You appear to have conflated nerd with geek,* I’m pretty sure the OP wouldn’t mix it with any geeks

Here as in TSR, or as in Romania? :beard:
    Here, as in Romania.

Heh, now that I think about it, I do have a lot of classmates that do know a lot of extra curriculum stuff (compsci, so we already are halfway to the nerds group). They make me feel so guilty.

Why soften? Don't worry, I'm in minority here as well. There are two people in my year that are engaged, and we're all 19-20. But they'll be divorcing before their 30s

And you've no idea how I look, what makes you think I'm so ehem desirable?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clip)
    As constant as Planck.

As regular as the vibrations of quartz.

As predictible as the pulsing of a Neutron star.

Mr Smurf is truly a phenomenon of physical science.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Lol, loving the Physics.

ReputationRep:
    Friendzone is an asinine term for what well adjusted people refer to as unrequited feelings/affection. You're not in a relationship with that person because they don't find you physically/emotionally attractive, not because you're friends.

ReputationRep:

So the evidence says one thing, but you choose to believe another as its easier on the ego. Whatever gets you through the day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kadak)
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Lol, loving the Physics.
    I'm terrible at Physics. I read Law.

ReputationRep:
    Here, as in Romania
    Ah ok, well I'll have to take your word on that one! (yet to tour Eastern Europe)

Heh, now that I think about it, I do have a lot of classmates that do know a lot of extra curriculum stuff (compsci, so we already are halfway to the nerds group). They make me feel so guilty
    Ah, so you're a bit of a nerd/geek yourself eh? :gah: Just as long as you're a cute geekette, it's all good

Guilty why?

Why soften?
    To become a more rounded, personable, feminine, approachable, wonderful, individual? :hippie:

Don't worry, I'm in minority here as well
    I'm not sure I follow?

There are two people in my year that are engaged, and we're all 19-20. But they'll be divorcing before their 30s
    You hope.. wicked child! We should be pleased for them and wish them every happiness! (although I suppose one has to acknowledge the statistical probability..) :erm:

And you've no idea how I look, what makes you think I'm so ehem desirable?
    We've established that I can read people..

So the evidence says one thing, but you choose to believe another as its easier on the ego. Whatever gets you through the day
    I didn't suddenly transform into an Adonis, maturity/manliness are factors too (the evidence suggests this) :dontknow:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 5, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.