Land Economy 2007 Anyone?! Watch

likeduuh
Badges: 0
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by swntzu)
If he actually was in possession of some wit, then it would have been mildly amusing. The jokes themselves are very funny, but it the crappy way in which he presented them that killed it.

Hmm, his core argument was that Philosophy was all about asking about the meaning of life and how that was not really relevant in the real world. An argument with one point. Not that strong is it?

Troll unPC? Careful how you use it? Please educate us!
Hmm but LE is probably slightly more useful in the real world than Philosophy; not to say philosophy isn't a more interesting degree though.. I'm sure most people will understand the direction he is heading in with his (simplistic) argument; it had potential but yes, I'd agree it was poorly presented.

I know it's ridiculous but on some popular forums, if you call someone a troll you get banned..!
michaelbenson
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
If he actually was in possession of some wit, then it would have been mildly amusing. The jokes themselves are very funny, but it the crappy way in which he presented them that killed it.

Hmm, his core argument was that Philosophy was all about asking about the meaning of life and how that was not really relevant in the real world. An argument with one point. Not that strong is it?

Troll unPC? Careful how you use it? Please educate us!
Surely if you have an issue with a specific users conduct, you should be best off contacting them directly or privately and not detach away from the intended purpose of the thread? Anyway, just had my Trinity Hall Land Economy interview today
donaldduck
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by michaelbenson)
Anyway, just had my Trinity Hall Land Economy interview today
I assume it went well then?!
m.szamfeber
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
wow, how did the interview go? what did they ask you? please tell me everything. i really need to know. mine is just over 2 weeks away...am getting very worried....
prospective L.E. student
Report 12 years ago
yeah how did it go?? were the interviewere nice? were the questions really tough and did u get stuck at all???
ghtrevgy
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by m.szamfeber)
what did they ask you?
I doubt he will tell you what questions he was asked. However, it would be good to know how it went!
username61396
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by seaspray)
I doubt he will tell you what questions he was asked. However, it would be good to know how it went!
Is this the whole competition thing?
ghtrevgy
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Is this the whole competition thing?
Perhaps. Also, I thought that the admissions tutors asked you not to share what questions you were asked incase they use the same ones for the other applicants?
prospective L.E. student
Report 12 years ago
I didnt know the admissions tutor does that? so they do repeat the questions?? i really want to know what it was like??? hope they go well!!!
Mousie_101
Report 12 years ago
okaaay.....even i have my interview at homerton on the 11th.....i dont think preparing tooo much for the interview is a gud idea...u shud just know why you want to do your course, you should be able to discuss ur written work and ps.....btw, what are AEA's????
lljaneth
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Mousie_101)
okaaay.....even i have my interview at homerton on the 11th.....i dont think preparing tooo much for the interview is a gud idea...u shud just know why you want to do your course, you should be able to discuss ur written work and ps.....btw, what are AEA's????
AEA's are Advanced Extension Awards-they're exams in addition to your Alevel exams, they're not compulsory and only people with around 270+ at AS in the subject are recommended to take it. not all subjects do it either, but subjects like geography and economics do. They can impress universities, but the downside to them is that a university may make it part of your conditional offer. The results come in the form of merit, distinction, etc. Am not certain as to the formatof the exams, but the questions are definitely supposed to be more demanding than the Alevel exams. hope that helps
Jigglypuff
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by lljaneth)
AEA's are Advanced Extension Awards-they're exams in addition to your Alevel exams, they're not compulsory and only people with around 270+ at AS in the subject are recommended to take it. not all subjects do it either, but subjects like geography and economics do. They can impress universities, but the downside to them is that a university may make it part of your conditional offer. The results come in the form of merit, distinction, etc. Am not certain as to the formatof the exams, but the questions are definitely supposed to be more demanding than the Alevel exams. hope that helps
Yeah, I took one in RS and would describe it as the bridge between A-level essays and university essays. Not much preparation is needed, provided you've revised your A-level syllabus. I took mine after I got my offer from Cambridge as I had read that they might consider you if you have AAB+ a Merit- I thought it was worth taking as a bargaining tool if anything I guess. I'd recommend it.
ghtrevgy
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Jigglypuff)
Yeah, I took one in RS and would describe it as the bridge between A-level essays and university essays. Not much preparation is needed, provided you've revised your A-level syllabus. I took mine after I got my offer from Cambridge as I had read that they might consider you if you have AAB+ a Merit- I thought it was worth taking as a bargaining tool if anything I guess. I'd recommend it.
I haven't mentioned it on my PS or SAQ, but my Economics teacher recommended I take the AEA in the summer. Do you think it would be wise to mention this at interview? Or send a letter? Or not mention it all?

Thanks.
Jigglypuff
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I haven't mentioned it on my PS or SAQ, but my Economics teacher recommended I take the AEA in the summer. Do you think it would be wise to mention this at interview? Or send a letter? Or not mention it all?

Thanks.
I hadn't mentioned it on my PS or my SAQ, purely because I hadn't intended to take one until I got my offer and saw in the prospectus that if I missed my grades, AAB+ Merit might get me through. Not many schools take them, so I don't think Cambridge would see it as necessary to take one- some colleges include them in their offers (see back of prospectus)...and I for one would not have liked an offer including one. I don't think there is any point mentioning it now to be honest, but it's up to you. If you get an offer it's nice to have in case you miss a grade, but I doubt it will influence whether or not you actually get an offer.
charliegreen
Report 12 years ago
Hey,
i've got an interview 4 LE at jesus on the 12th Dec. any1else applied 2 jesus??
TimmyTim
Report 12 years ago
HUTTY!
Is ranger here too now?
Anyway, I hear Land Econ is cool..

*leaves*
lljaneth
Report 12 years ago
who is timmytim?
lljaneth
Report 12 years ago
oh nicky!
*waves*!
my interview is TOMORROW..*scared*
michaelbenson
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Perhaps. Also, I thought that the admissions tutors asked you not to share what questions you were asked incase they use the same ones for the other applicants?
I never asked by the Admission Tutor not to reveal the questions asked, but judging by other threads on this forum there does seem to be some sort of unbeknownst confidentially agreement binding all prospective undergraduates. My interviews went well, thankfully
lizzie-ann
Report 12 years ago
hey
i have my interview tomorrow at sidney. have prepped up by looking through all my past economics (im on a gap yr) reading the economist and national geographic and other such related books. have also researched my interviewers (can't harm anything, may have been a waste of time but at least i feel prepaired!) and now just hoping for the best. ive had an offer from york for environmental economics and environmental mamagement (formerly EEE) which i would be happy to take so im just gonna hope for the best ... with all my fingers and toes crossed lol...
liz x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 4 Jul '19
  • University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 5 Jul '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (481)
37.76%
No - but I will (98)
7.69%
No - I don't want to (88)
6.91%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (607)
47.65%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise