Anyone here interested in Constitutional law? Watch

Lewisy-boy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Granting such a power to the courts would be advantageous in certain respects - but you would see too many baseless claims under the effect as called by my lecturer as "retired school-teacher syndrome" - once they stop teaching they just find things to challenge which don't really concern them. This is the reason why the standing requirements for non-privileged applicants under the EC Treaty are so restrictive.

Otherwise I totally agree with your post about FPTP and the coalitions etc. s4 Declarations are, however, not binding ... Ministers would be pretty damn stupid not to follow them though for obvious diplomatic reasons.
littlemissalex
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Bring on constitutional law!!! Im absolutely loving it at the moment and i know its still early days but im finding it one of the most, if not THE most interesting topic!! Not many people enjoy it, i have no clue as to why, but im definately taking it on next year as a 2nd year module!! x
Lewisy-boy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Can you take advanced constitutional law ro soemthing? I think that's an option at Notts in final year, definitely to be avoided personally!
Marcods
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
It's split over two years at UCL. Both modules are compulsory.
NDGAARONDI
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
I've seen the exam questions at KCL for advanced constitutional law but didn't much to them for some reason - though it was only one year.
ooops!
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
i enjoyed constitutional law, the content got really interesting after christmas (im at KCL) - got my highest mark in it as well.
aliya
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
As mentioned earlier the UK does not have a written constitution at present, but if the UK was to adopt one then wouldnt this be a difficult process as no act of parliament has special status and every Act of Parliament can be expressly repealed...?
Ethereal
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by aliya)
As mentioned earlier the UK does not have a written constitution at present, but if the UK was to adopt one then wouldnt this be a difficult process as no act of parliament has special status and every Act of Parliament can be expressly repealed...?
It could be done through Royal Perogative though
aliya
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
That would be sidestepping Parliament so if an act of parliament was formed which established the written constitution without Parliaments approval, just royal assent would it be a valid Act of Parliament and what would prevent it being repealed?
Ethereal
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by aliya)
That would be sidestepping Parliament so if an act of parliament was formed which established the written constitution without Parliaments approval, just royal assent would it be a valid Act of Parliament and what would prevent it being repealed?
It wouldn't be an Act of Parliament at all, it would be an act of the Crown through Royal Perogative. Parliament couldn't touch it, so it would not be repealed unless a future Monarch used Perogative to do so.
NDGAARONDI
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
I hate it when they say unwritten when it should say uncodified. Just one of my pet hates in law.
Ethereal
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by NDGAARONDI)
I hate it when they say unwritten when it should say uncodified. Just one of my pet hates in law.
Good call
aliya
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
ah okay sorry i ws a bit confused. Is the case of Proclamations relevant to this though as though it is an old case, King James was unable to use his prerogative powers to ban the building of new homes in London etc.
Ethereal
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by aliya)
ah okay sorry i ws a bit confused. Is the case of Proclamations relevant to this though as though it is an old case, King James was unable to use his prerogative powers to ban the building of new homes in London etc.
Probably not.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (333)
37.33%
No - but I will (72)
8.07%
No - I don't want to (64)
7.17%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (423)
47.42%

Watched Threads