darcw27
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Anyone have any suggestions for what problems the riders face and any examples of success stories?

Posted from TSR Mobile
jalicexx
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi,
if anyone could help with sharing how they have annotated the maps on relief, precipitation etc. on the AIB then it would be much appreciated. Currently I am struggling to understand how much depth is required with reference to the maps. I have managed to make note of basic descriptions however I need to link the information with the other maps and then the riders and the distribution of their healthcare.
Thank you!
JBR08
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by jalicexx)
Hi,
if anyone could help with sharing how they have annotated the maps on relief, precipitation etc. on the AIB then it would be much appreciated. Currently I am struggling to understand how much depth is required with reference to the maps. I have managed to make note of basic descriptions however I need to link the information with the other maps and then the riders and the distribution of their healthcare.
Thank you!
Well in terms of linking the maps they all link very nicely and can also be linked to some of the theory in the world cities unit. Firstly there is high average precipitation around Kisumu and Nairobi, which can be linked to the good amount of crop land in those areas, as there is then a good food supply people live there, leading to a high population density, link this into world cities, in terms of rapid urbanisation and what problems it can lead to in a LEDC, this explains the high amount of poverty in these areas, with high poverty it can be assumed there is poor healthcare, thus giving a reason for why the riders for health work in these areas, also link in the relief to this bit, as around Nairobi and Kisumu the relief is over 1000m and likely rough terrain that is difficult to navigate giving further cause to the need for the riders and the motorbikes for healthcare transport.
Claire.08T
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hey,

I have been using the riders for health website to look up the impacts that the riders have had on Kenya's population, does anyone else have any other impacts that the riders have had that are not in the AIB? Thanks.
It's_me
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hey everyone
In case anybody wants some tips on this exam I did it last year and got 100% in this module
My advice is to research, research, research and when you think you've gathered twice as much info as you'll need do a little bit more research.
Obvs I haven't seen this year's booklet but in last year's there were questions at the beginning of the booklet, be sure to have answers for them using evidence from the booklet itself AND stuff you've researched on your own. If there are links to websites use them and write down key pieces of information. Also a great idea is predict questions that might be asked and answer them to prepare for the exam. To get ideas you could go back to past papers and see the sort of questions were asked. The main thing is just to practice
And remember the examiner will be reading hundreds of papers so any NEW information you give them will interest them and make you look good!
Good luck everyone x
Trisha10001
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by DavidCrow)
Put this on last year's thread: hope its of help to those doing the 2015 paper!

A few tips:

Knowing the AIB thoroughly, understanding the main issues involved and having the ability to adapt your own knowledge to answering the question, including your own analysis and facts in your exam essays, is the key to high marks. For my Nepal exam, I did stacks of extra research on demographic statistics, development statistics, projects other charities have done, news articles etc etc. The pre-release is only a guide; you have to make sure you DON'T copy word for word from it although you can draw upon it occasionally.

Make a good set of notes structured around the AIB with reference to extra research. You can get your own information from the sources suggested in the ZigZag booklet, Wikipedia, internet searches, books, course texts - basically anything which is related to the topic. You'll realise as you go that the issue chosen by the exam board cuts across many of the concepts in the A Level. Doing your own research is the only way to develop the synoptic understanding of the issue that you need.

Note: there are are usually shorter questions based on more 'directed' items such as data presentation, stats, fieldwork or directed research. These should be easier to identify and plan for as they are usually clearly referenced in the AIB itself. Even if no questions based wholly on these 'directed' items come up, make sure you include them in the exam paper somewhere - e.g. I brought in the photographs referenced in the AIB to an essay on development in Nepal.

Geog 4B is more about geographical understanding than revision per se. As I did very detailed research on the concepts and structured that research around the AIB I was able to build up a very good knowledge of the core themes before the exam, which I could then draw upon as part of the argument in my essay. The exam essays are more about setting up an argument and justifying yourself (with that justification supplemented by your own facts) rather than basic regurgitation of the facts themselves.

Good luck!

Thank youu
Trisha10001
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Claire.08T)
Hey,

I have been using the riders for health website to look up the impacts that the riders have had on Kenya's population, does anyone else have any other impacts that the riders have had that are not in the AIB? Thanks.
We only started our AIB this week.

What impacts do Riders have on Kenya's population ?
I'm not even sure about the first part.
Soph567
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Anyone think any stats tests will come up?
Bunny2014
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Soph567)
Anyone think any stats tests will come up?
Possibly, since there is quite a lot of data from the different maps

I reckon a maps question will come up
subject1
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Bunny2014)
Possibly, since there is quite a lot of data from the different maps

I reckon a maps question will come up
Strengths and weaknesses of choropleth maps, but perhaps this would be a too obvious question for the exam board to set!

What about proportional maps such as circle ones or those bar charts???
Bunny2014
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by subject1)
Strengths and weaknesses of choropleth maps, but perhaps this would be a too obvious question for the exam board to set!

Thats a good shout, and yeah it could be obvious but maybe it will be included as there are maps ect x
Mutmit287
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

My teacher has prepared a list of possible questions, this was one of them!
MikeBird
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Natalierm2707)
My teacher has prepared a list of possible questions, this was one of them!
Could you post this list?
Mutmit287
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by MikeBird)
Could you post this list?
Sure, give me a few minutes... its a long list!!
Mutmit287
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hello everyone, as requested this is a list of questions my geography teacher (who is amazing btw) has prepared for us to revise with, and also to learn answers to, as they could possibly come up...

Based on Item 1
- Outline the roles of riders for health
- Suggest reasons for the high child mortality rates in Kenya
- Consider the advantages and disadvantages of grassroots/bottom up initiatives and top down/government initiatives
- Why is transport the key to development
- Comment on the links between figure P1, figure P7 and figure P8.

Based on Item 2
- Suggest reasons for the variations in population density across Kenya
- Using the maps suggest reasons why some areas of Kenya face such high poverty levels
- outline the advantages and disadvantages of using chloropleth maps as a way of presenting data.

Based on Item 3
- Summarise the issues facing the Kenyan Health service.
- Evaluate the current "top down" logistics system on Kenya
- Using the AIB and your own ideas suggest ways in which the logistical issues facing the Kenyan Health service could be reduced
- Using the AIB and your own ideas suggest ways in which the staffing and resource issues facing the Kenyan Health Service could be reduced.
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of a "rotating expat programme"

Based on Item 4
- How does the work of the Riders for health fit with the recommendations made in Kenyas report under the heading "strengthening service delivery systems"
- How effective do you think the suggestions made to help the country achieve the millennium development goals are
- create a plan for developing the health service in Kenya and justify your decisions

Based on Item 5
- Critically evaluate one or more of the websites you have visited

Obviously this is not comprehensive so please can people also share their predictions so we can make a large list to prepare from!
Joelee21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Is this the ocr exam because I haven't been given any resources.
Mutmit287
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Joelee21)
Is this the ocr exam because I haven't been given any resources.
nope sorry AQA wrong thread
subject1
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hello everyone, as requested this is a list of questions my geography teacher (who is amazing btw) has prepared for us to revise with, and also to learn answers to, as they could possibly come up...

Based on Item 1
- Outline the roles of riders for health
- Suggest reasons for the high child mortality rates in Kenya
- Consider the advantages and disadvantages of grassroots/bottom up initiatives and top down/government initiatives
- Why is transport the key to development
- Comment on the links between figure P1, figure P7 and figure P8.

Based on Item 2
- Suggest reasons for the variations in population density across Kenya
- Using the maps suggest reasons why some areas of Kenya face such high poverty levels
- outline the advantages and disadvantages of using chloropleth maps as a way of presenting data.

Based on Item 3
- Summarise the issues facing the Kenyan Health service.
- Evaluate the current "top down" logistics system on Kenya
- Using the AIB and your own ideas suggest ways in which the logistical issues facing the Kenyan Health service could be reduced
- Using the AIB and your own ideas suggest ways in which the staffing and resource issues facing the Kenyan Health Service could be reduced.
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of a "rotating expat programme"

Based on Item 4
- How does the work of the Riders for health fit with the recommendations made in Kenyas report under the heading "strengthening service delivery systems"
- How effective do you think the suggestions made to help the country achieve the millennium development goals are
- create a plan for developing the health service in Kenya and justify your decisions

Based on Item 5
- Critically evaluate one or more of the websites you have visited

Obviously this is not comprehensive so please can people also share their predictions so we can make a large list to prepare from!
How about-
-discuss the issues that the physical and human geography of Kenya present for the distribution of medical resources.
-How does HIV affect development and how do the Riders help to solve these issues
-How might the plans for the recommendations in Item 4 improve conditions for people living in some of Kenya's more rural areas?
Mutmit287
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
How about-
-discuss the issues that the physical and human geography of Kenya present for the distribution of medical resources.
-How does HIV affect development and how do the Riders help to solve these issues
-How might the plans for the recommendations in Item 4 improve conditions for people living in some of Kenya's more rural areas?
The first two of those were questions I had in my mock!! I couldnt remember them (I dont get my mock back till thursday) so thanks!!

The last one is a great one as well... keep them coming guys!
D123xo
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The first two of those were questions I had in my mock!! I couldnt remember them (I dont get my mock back till thursday) so thanks!!

The last one is a great one as well... keep them coming guys!
Cant remember the exact question but we did one about how kenya can improve in the future and what most important to start with (e.g. Logistics or education)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    The Bar Series: Applications and Interviews - London Bloomsbury campus Postgraduate
    Thu, 17 Oct '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (139)
17.77%
It's just nice to be back! (211)
26.98%
Not great so far... (281)
35.93%
I want to drop out! (151)
19.31%

Watched Threads