8b in English! I'm in year 9 Watch

04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Changing Skies)
Just stick to the assessment objectives, ensure your answers are succinct, be innovative and you're sorted
Excellent advice

RXMXXKX
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by Changing Skies)
I got an 8c in year 8 and got an A in A level English Literature; just stick to the assessment objectives, ensure your answers are succinct, be innovative and you're sorted

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
username1646063
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Hicko)
what the **** is an 8b
Equivalent to a grade B at gcse apparently
AstroNandos
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I hated the system, some of my teachers would always give me like level 5s just because they didn't like me
Muttley79
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by RXMXXKX)
Hi,
I got an 8b in a recent assessment, I'm really pleased as usually I only achieve 6a's.

I was wondering if any had any tips/advice on maintaining this level or even surpassing it.

All answers will be greatly appreciated.
A level shouldn't be given for one piece of work - and actually assessment by leves has gone!

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...ept_update.pdf
username1646063
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by AstroNandos)
I hated the system, some of my teachers would always give me like level 5s just because they didn't like me
I use to get that and ended passing everything in yr eleven ☺
ParadoxSocks
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Muttley79)
A level shouldn't be given for one piece of work - and actually assessment by leves has gone!

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...ept_update.pdf
A lot of schools are still using them to give pupils some sort of feedback. We use the computing at schools levels at my school but we only assess 4 week long projects or units of work that way - everything else I mark is a simple tick and a question to test understanding.

Posted from TSR Mobile
ParadoxSocks
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi,
I got an 8b in a recent assessment, I'm really pleased as usually I only achieve 6a's.

I was wondering if any had any tips/advice on maintaining this level or even surpassing it.

All answers will be greatly appreciated.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well done! An 8B is brilliant. Definitely talk to your teacher about what they think the next step is and make sure they know that you want to maintain this level.

Posted from TSR Mobile
RXMXXKX
Rep:
?
(Original post by ParadoxSocks)
Well done! An 8B is brilliant. Definitely talk to your teacher about what they think the next step is and make sure they know that you want to maintain this level.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
ParadoxSocks
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't think I've ever given an 8 out to year 9 pupil and I'm quite a generous teacher so you definitely should consider it a big achievement

Posted from TSR Mobile
lolaaks
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Well for me that is an achievement, I didn't ask for your opinion on my grade I asked for advice so that I can improve even more in the future.

Posted from TSR Mobile
well done kid
lolaaks
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Dalek1099)
Its really not that impressive I started both of my GCSE courses in GCSE English Language and English Literature at the start of Y9 my first reading and writing coursework pieces I got an A overall and in Speaking and Listening I got an A and I got an A and a C in the two exams at the end of the year(resat the C grade and ended up getting two A*s in Y10 in the full GCSEs).Level 8bs don't compare to real A grades received in Y9 for exams/coursework that I actually count towards your GCSE grade.
ill let u in on a secret

its known that they let kids take GCSE early to allow them the most amount of retakes.
let that sink in. they didnt think you could do it first time, so they started you early. let that sink in
you are not special. do not rain on this kids parade about their level 8.

retaking show off scum.
Anjum - Yasmin
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Ahh yr 9. I think the only subject I recieved at 8B in was Geography actually for this project I did on the environmental impacts of tourism.

Last year I only managed to get an A in GCSE geography though - missed an A* by 4 marks!
RXMXXKX
Rep:
?
(Original post by ParadoxSocks)
I don't think I've ever given an 8 out to year 9 pupil and I'm quite a generous teacher so you definitely should consider it a big achievement

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you, I was ecstatic when I found out the grade that I had achieved.
I still am I just want to make sure that I maintain that standard of work in the future.

Posted from TSR Mobile
RXMXXKX
Rep:
?
(Original post by Anjum - Yasmin)
Ahh yr 9. I think the only subject I recieved at 8B in was Geography actually for this project I did on the environmental impacts of tourism.

Last year I only managed to get an A in GCSE geography though - missed an A* by 4 marks!
That's really good! I'm going to take geography as one of my GCSE's, have you go any advice

The highest level I've got this year is a 7a. We had to create a booklet on the civil war and the blood diamonds.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anjum - Yasmin
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
That's really good! I'm going to take geography as one of my GCSE's, have you go any advice

The highest level I've got this year is a 7a. We had to create a booklet on the civil war and the blood diamonds.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I would say just do loads of practice papers and learn and revise the case studies in lots of depth!
RXMXXKX
Rep:
?
I would say just do loads of practice papers and learn and revise the case studies in lots of depth!
Okay thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Dalek1099
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by lolaaks)
ill let u in on a secret

its known that they let kids take GCSE early to allow them the most amount of retakes.
let that sink in. they didnt think you could do it first time, so they started you early. let that sink in
you are not special. do not rain on this kids parade about their level 8.

retaking show off scum.
That is rubbish my school typically started the two year course in year 9 and ended it in year 10,some people did resit Language in Y11 but in general most people finished English in year 10(in other years they did other things in Y11 like doing an AS in English but in my year we got allocated study time instead) and you were only allowed to resit Language.I'm not the one showing off here saying "8b in English" in the title of my thread.
ParadoxSocks
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Dalek1099)
That is rubbish my school typically started the two year course in year 9 and ended it in year 10,some people did resit Language in Y11 but in general most people finished English in year 10(in other years they did other things in Y11 like doing an AS in English but in my year we got allocated study time instead) and you were only allowed to resit Language.I'm not the one showing off here saying "8b in English" in the title of my thread.
The reason was that they wanted resit opportunities because they thought they could play the system. It blew up in most schools' faces though and ended with pupils performing below expectations.

Posted from TSR Mobile
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
That's really good! I'm going to take geography as one of my GCSE's, have you got any advice

What exam board is it?

What unit let you down most?

Good advice
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bradford
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate Open day Postgraduate
    Thu, 24 Oct '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Oct '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (69)
23.71%
No (222)
76.29%

Watched Threads