What happens if I don't pay a parking charge? Watch

FrostyLemon
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If it's a private organisation none of the above will happen.
Skyy9432
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Question. You're your parents are rich and gullible enough to buy the children who don't work cars and £700+ holidays... why wouldn't they just pay the parking fine for you?
domonict
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Incorrect

a mate was taken to court for parking in a supermarket car park overnight and ignored the claims. He moved house and was tracked down by balifs after two years. They towed his car and he ended paying just under a grand to get it back.

He he had ignored the first letter and said that he didn't get any more until two large guys turned up at his new house.
FrostyLemon
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by domonict)
Incorrect

a mate was taken to court for parking in a supermarket car park overnight and ignored the claims. He moved house and was tracked down by balifs after two years. They towed his car and he ended paying just under a grand to get it back.

He he had ignored the first letter and said that he didn't get any more until two large guys turned up at his new house.
Well that's because he ignored a court letter, which is a different matter altogether.
Sgt.Incontro
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Laomedeia)
Sod that, keep it going. Trolling or not, the advice given to the answers may be of use or interest to someone.
There's millions of existing threads on this topic already on the internet, with much more useful advice than the replies posted here.

This isn't a consumer rights forum, and most students here have very little experience with such matters.
TurboCretin
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by limetang)
Sums of £100 are what the small claims courts exist for. They can and will take action for this.
(Original post by Sycamores)
If you don't pay it they will eventually take you to a small claims court and probably fine you twice the amount.
The charge is not necessarily legit. Private companies don't have authority to issue fines, and the charges they threaten you with are in fact a contractual remedy for breach of the contract under which you park on the land. Thing is, if the contractual remedy substantially outstrips a reasonable estimation of loss to the company, then it may be viewed as a penalty clause and thus unenforceable.
Laomedeia
Badges: 21
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Sgt.Incontro)
There's millions of existing threads on this topic already on the internet, with much more useful advice than the replies posted here.

This isn't a consumer rights forum, and most students here have very little experience with such matters.
Oh......
username457532
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
So OP, I presume when you move into your own place and get utility bills you're just going to rip them up too?
Kool_Panda
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Treeroy)
And I would much rather get chased down and go to court, than miss out on my holiday.
First World problems
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (2)
3.64%
They might tell the bully (6)
10.91%
I don't think they'd understand (11)
20%
It might lead to more bullying (19)
34.55%
There's nothing they could do (17)
30.91%

Watched Threads