Ancient words that should be revived Watch

Carnationlilyrose
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by nulli tertius)
You read a lot about people who lack ruth but very little about people who possess ruth.
Or who are gruntled or whelmed.
Josb
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Magnus Taylor)
Hitherto
(Original post by The_Last_Melon)
thus
thence
What's the problem with these words? I often use them. :confused:

Otherwise, I regret that the "Thou" has vanished, because now there is a confusion between "you" and "you guys". We have to add "guys" to mark the plural form. Thou was grammatically better.
nulli tertius
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
THIS ASSIGNMENT is dated the twenty eighth day of March two thousand and fifteen and made between by The Honourable and Venerable William Stiles commonly called Archdeacon Lord Oxbridge of The Archdeaconry Christminster in the County of Wessex of the one part and the President Fellows and Scholars of the College of St Jude the Obscure in the University of Christminster of the other part

Whereas:

(1) By a Feoffment with livery of seisin bearing date the twenty-seventh day of March one thousand eight hundred and twenty eight and made between the Right Reverend Father in God John by Divine Permission Lord Bishop of Poppleton of the one part and Sir James Nobody a Knight Commander of the Royal Hanoverian Guelphic Order of the other part the messuage or tenement known as TSR Towers together with all the appurtenances thereunto belonging was held by the aforesaid Sir James Nobody for an estate in fee simple absolute in possession

(2) By an Indenture Quadripartite bearing date the first day of April one thousand eight hundred and sixty two and made between the aforesaid Sir James Nobody of the first part Richard Roe serjeant at law of the second part John Doe esquire comptroller of the household of Her Serene Highness the Margravine of Baden-Durlach of the third part and William Stiles licensed victualler of the fourth part the aforesaid premises were demised for a term of nine hundred and ninety nine years from the sixth day of August one thousand eight hundred and sixty one at a fine of one hundred guineas and yielding and paying as rent therefor one peppercorn per annum payable (if demanded) on Lady Day in each year

(3) By divers deeds instruments and acts in the law and ultimately by a Disentailing Assurance made the twenty first day of March in the year two thousand and fifteen by the aforesaid Archdeacon Lord Oxbridge the aforesaid lease became vested in the aforesaid Archdeacon Lord Oxbridge for the residue of the term of nine hundred and nine hundred years absolutely free and discharged from all trusts equities estates and interests therein

(4) The aforesaid Archdeacon Lord Oxbridge has agreed to sell the aforesaid lease to St Jude's College Christminster for the consideration and in the manner hereinafter appearing

NOW THIS DEED WITNESSETH:

1 In consideration of the sum of one hundred and fifty thousand pounds (£150,000.00) (the receipt whereof is hereby acknowledged) the aforesaid Archdeacon Lord Oxbridge with full title guarantee HEREBY ASSIGNS the aforesaid TSR Towers TO HOLD the same unto the aforesaid President Fellows and Scholars for the residue of the term of nine hundred and ninety nine years from the sixth day of August one thousand eight hundred and sixty one absolutely

2 The aforesaid President Fellows and Scholars for themselves and their successors in office and their successors in title the lessees for the time being under the aforesaid demise of TSR Towers HEREBY COVENANT with the aforesaid Archdeacon Lord Oxbridge and each of his personal representatives that they the aforesaid President Fellows and Scholars will at all times hereafter indemnify and keep indemnified the aforesaid Archdeacon Lord Oxbridge and his estate and effects and each of his personal representatives and each of their estates and and effects in respect of all rents and against all breaches of all covenants on the part of the tenant in respect of the period commencing on the date hereof contained in the aforesaid demise

3 The property hereby assigned is held by the President Fellows and Scholars of the College of St Jude the Obscure in the University of Christminster an exempt charity

IN WITNESS whereof this deed has been executed the day and year first before written

SIGNED as a deed and delivered
by The Honourable and Venerable....................... .....................Oxbridge
William Stiles in the presence of

A Witness
Solicitor
Christminster

The common seal of the President
Fellows and Scholars of the College
of St Jude the Obscure in the University ................................ ....... L.S.
of Christminster was hereunto affixed
in the presence of

A Dumbledore

President

I M Elitist

Fellow and Praelector in under-water basket weaving
Compost
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You read a lot about people who lack ruth but very little about people who possess ruth.
It took me a while to realise that it only seems to be my family that uses gormful and feckful.
Compost
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Carnationlilyrose)
Or who are gruntled or whelmed.
True. Underwhelming does happen but I have never heard anyone claim to have received the correct level of whelming.
Asolare
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Josb)
What's the problem with these words? I often use them. :confused:

Otherwise, I regret that the "Thou" has vanished, because now there is a confusion between "you" and "you guys". We have to add "guys" to mark the plural form. Thou was grammatically better.
We could always copy the Americans and use 'Youse' or 'Y'all'.

But those words sound disgusting in all honesty.
Carnationlilyrose
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
THIS ASSIGNMENT is dated the twenty eighth day of March two thousand and fifteen and made between by The Honourable and Venerable William Stiles commonly called Archdeacon Lord Oxbridge of The Archdeaconry Christminster in the County of Wessex of the one part and the President Fellows and Scholars of the College of St Jude the Obscure in the University of Christminster of the other part

Whereas:

(1) By a Feoffment with livery of seisin bearing date the twenty-seventh day of March one thousand eight hundred and twenty eight and made between the Right Reverend Father in God John by Divine Permission Lord Bishop of Poppleton of the one part and Sir James Nobody a Knight Commander of the Royal Hanoverian Guelphic Order of the other part the messuage or tenement known as TSR Towers together with all the appurtenances thereunto belonging was held by the aforesaid Sir James Nobody for an estate in fee simple absolute in possession

(2) By an Indenture Quadripartite bearing date the first day of April one thousand eight hundred and sixty two and made between the aforesaid Sir James Nobody of the first part Richard Roe serjeant at law of the second part John Doe esquire comptroller of the household of Her Serene Highness the Margravine of Baden-Durlach of the third part and William Stiles licensed victualler of the fourth part the aforesaid premises were demised for a term of nine hundred and ninety nine years from the sixth day of August one thousand eight hundred and sixty one at a fine of one hundred guineas and yielding and paying as rent therefor one peppercorn per annum payable (if demanded) on Lady Day in each year

(3) By divers deeds instruments and acts in the law and ultimately by a Disentailing Assurance made the twenty first day of March in the year two thousand and fifteen by the aforesaid Archdeacon Lord Oxbridge the aforesaid lease became vested in the aforesaid Archdeacon Lord Oxbridge for the residue of the term of nine hundred and nine hundred years absolutely free and discharged from all trusts equities estates and interests therein

(4) The aforesaid Archdeacon Lord Oxbridge has agreed to sell the aforesaid lease to St Jude's College Christminster for the consideration and in the manner hereinafter appearing

1 In consideration of the sum of one hundred and fifty thousand pounds (£150,000.00) (the receipt whereof is hereby acknowledged) the aforesaid Archdeacon Lord Oxbridge with full title guarantee HEREBY ASSIGNS the aforesaid TSR Towers TO HOLD the same unto the aforesaid President Fellows and Scholars for the residue of the term of nine hundred and ninety nine years from the sixth day of August one thousand eight hundred and sixty one absolutely

2 The aforesaid President Fellows and Scholars for themselves and their successors in office and their successors in title the lessees for the time being under the aforesaid demise of TSR Towers HEREBY COVENANT with the aforesaid Archdeacon Lord Oxbridge and each of his personal representatives that they the aforesaid President Fellows and Scholars will at all times hereafter indemnify and keep indemnified the aforesaid Archdeacon Lord Oxbridge and his estate and effects and each of his personal representatives and each of their estates and and effects in respect of all rents and against all breaches of all covenants on the part of the tenant in respect of the period commencing on the date hereof contained in the aforesaid demise

3 The property hereby assigned is held by the President Fellows and Scholars of the College of St Jude the Obscure in the University of Christminster an exempt charity

IN WITNESS whereof this deed has been executed the day and year first before written

by The Honourable and Venerable....................... .....................Oxbridge

A Witness
Solicitor
Christminster

of St Jude the Obscure in the University ................................ ....... L.S.
in the presence of

A Dumbledore

President

I M Elitist

Nobody likes a show-off.
nulli tertius
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Nobody likes a show-off.
Why else become a lawyer?
Carnationlilyrose
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Why else become a lawyer?
Good point, good point. Unless it's for the wigs.
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Whereas:

A Witness
Solicitor
Christminster

in the presence of

A Dumbledore

President

I M Elitist

:yay:

a wondrous confection Sire ! :congrats:

a murrain on your enemies; may they become sweetmeats for the ossiphrage
Good bloke
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
very little about people who possess ruth.
That was Boaz, if I remember correctly, and Obed was the result.
Carnationlilyrose
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Good bloke)
That was Boaz, if I remember correctly, and Obed was the result.
Strange that with all the biblical names currently in vogue, nobody seems to be going for those two.
Compost
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Strange that with all the biblical names currently in vogue, nobody seems to be going for those two.
I'm still hoping to meet a small child called Methuselah.
Carnationlilyrose
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Compost)
Lol! I teach several Noahs, but it's not the same. Nebuchadnezzar - there's one to encourage, eh?
Good bloke
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Surely it would have to be a particularly large child - about eight times as big as a normal child?
GeorgeTownsend
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
My favourite has always been "betwixt"
Carnationlilyrose
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Good bloke)
Surely it would have to be a particularly large child - about eight times as big as a normal child?
It could start small and work up to it. Jeroboam for the toddler years, maybe.
Compost
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Lol! I teach several Noahs, but it's not the same. Nebuchadnezzar - there's one to encourage, eh?
He'd be guaranteed to be dyslexic and to sue his parents for mental cruelty for giving him a name he could never spell.

I'm also waiting to meet a Salome or a Jezebel....or triplets called Shadrach. Meshach and Abednego. There are a lot of good names out there going to waste.
Carnationlilyrose
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
He'd be guaranteed to be dyslexic and to sue his parents for mental cruelty for giving him a name he could never spell.

I'm also waiting to meet a Salome or a Jezebel....or triplets called Shadrach. Meshach and Abednego. There are a lot of good names out there going to waste.
Too right. Caspar, Melchior and Balthazar are way too mainstream. Funny how the rebirth of 'parlourmaid' names hasn't extended as far as Gertrude and Enid yet.
nulli tertius
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

There were three Salomes born in England and Wales in 2013 five Shadrachs and three Meshachs

It could be worse. You might have been one of the three girls called Blousey or one of the five boys called Jesse-James.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (158)
59.18%
No I haven't decided yet (63)
23.6%
Yes but I might change my mind (46)
17.23%

Watched Threads