The Student Room Group

Family says I'm worthless and stupid because of my degree subject

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheGuyReturns
Trolls are supposed to be annoying not upsetting. -5/10.

Before I get carded, c'mon, just read it again... I know a troll when I see one.

You think I'm a troll?
Original post by Anonymous
X

Even though accountancy doesn't necessarily require a degree it is still better to have one IMO because of the possible glass ceiling as you mentioned and also in case you decided to move away from accounting to say finance, general other commercial roles, or do further education. Also university is a good experience which is difficult to replicate. No point going into the accounting industry early. Chartered accountancy leads to very high pay and a great business education, and econ + politics at a redbrick is a great platform to build on,
Economics graduates are among the highest paid so to say it's a worthless subject is completely incorrect.
I did an engineering degree and I'm nowhere near the intelligentsia.
If you do well in your degree, your resume and work ethics will prove it. plus you'll land good employment prospects if you keep up your marks.
Besides, not all engineering majors go onto work in their field.. many do an MBA, msc management or something totally unexpected if it means getting a better job. so, if you like where you are, don't feed the haters. a token hug :smile:
Your family are sexist.
Original post by Anonymous

My parents (non-graduates)...

If you're being serious...

They sound pretty cretinous; be sure to ask them "So where's your degree again?" and I can guarantee even they will shut up.

You have two avenues to pick: lick your wounds and continue to try to live up to their expectations OR disregard them and define your own success.
It should be fairly obvious that you'll never be happy if you pursue the former...
Posted from TSR Mobile

Ignore your moronic family.Economics is a prestigious degree.
Don't worry, electrical engineering is a fairly moronic thing to spend your time doing, comparable to your degree, in my opinion.
Original post by wsxcde
if your family are so horrible and make you feel so bad, in my opinion you should just not be around them. Get a part time job and dont go back to your parents over christmas or summer or any holidays. You can live on your own after uni. Just surround yourself with people who are positive in your life and make you feel good instead. I dont know if you can get a much larger student loan yourself or not to help if you are not living with parents, I did but idk the situation if you stop living at home half way through studying as I already didnt live with my parents before I started uni.

They're so disparaging towards me, saying that I won't ever 'give back' or 'contribute' to society and how my course is a joke because I only have 10-11 hours contact time a week.

Generally, thanks for all your support and understanding. I'm seriously considering not going back next holiday and just staying with my boyfriend.

Btw, I don't know why this is but people seem to think I'm a troll or this is fake, so just to clarify this is totally real!
Original post by ChickenMadness
that respect is worthless. It should have been there from the beginning. The family doesn't care about her feelings or opinions is the main nasty thing.

There is no solution that will lead to a normal family that respects them apart from starting your own. If the family don't give a **** it will never change.

Either way, proving them wrong will be rewarding. Whether it leads to a gain of respect from her family or just personal satisfaction. Removing her family from her life is a huge over reaction. I assume they still love and care for her. You have to bare in mind this is from a biased perspective as well.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending