"How To Avoid Rape Tips" Shockingly Upsets Men on The Interwebz Watch

sacca
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aj12)
Institutionalised rape.... What does thst even mean?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Its when rape is accepted as a cultural norm due to institutional practices i.e historical oppression and violence agaisnt womyn
Truths
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by clh_hilary)
So basically only men rape and only women get raped.
Men can be raped too. But looking at the statistics, it seems like men could use this public announcement more than anyone else, seeing as the make up the vast majority and perpetrators or something like that :bebored:...
DiddyDec
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by sacca)
Its when rape is accepted as a cultural norm due to institutional practices i.e historical oppression and violence agaisnt womyn
Since when was rape culturally accepted?
Truths
Rep:
?
I just feel like men who are actually offended/irate/upset by this are MAD suspect. We need to keep an eye on them. Cos you know what they say, a hit dog will holler :indiff:
blue n white army
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by sacca)
In the UK rape is considered an abhorrent and most rapists (even ones found not guilty) are rejected and tormented by society- complete outcasts. Maybe in your culture it's the norm but not in ours.
TheonlyMrsHolmes
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Truths)
How are both equally awful when one is putting the responsibility on the perpetrator, as it should be?
Because one is victim blaming every woman who has been raped and the other is accusing every man on the planet of being a potential rapist. Equally bad as each other.
So Instinct
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aj12)
Institutionalised rape.... What does thst even mean?

Posted from TSR Mobile
An ideology commonly found in gender studies students and progressive nutcases that implies that rape is institutionally embedded and part of an overall 'Rape Culture'.
Aj12
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by sacca)
That is a completely ridiculous proposition to make. Rape is not a cultural norm in this country, nor is it acceptable.
Aj12
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by So Instinct)
An ideology commonly found in gender studies students and progressive nutcases that implies that rape is institutionally embedded and part of an overall 'Rape Culture'.
I've come across it before and can sort of wrap my head around it. However suggesting that rape is somehow acceptable or a cultural norm.... What the hell?
Baron of Sealand
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Men can be raped too. But looking at the statistics, it seems like men could use this public announcement more than anyone else, seeing as the make up the vast majority and perpetrators or something like that :bebored:...
This is because the society as a whole has discouraged reports or discussions of all kinds from men who are raped.

Whenever a child gets raped by a woman, and it makes the news, people are like 'oh I'd want to be that boy!', 'he's so lucky!', etc.

Whenever people talk about a 'rape culture', they discuss exclusively females being raped, excluding the discussion on rape in general, which can and does happen to everyone of any gender.

These are contributed to a very biased discussion on rape.

And whether there are more males or females who rape does not justify targeting only heterosexual males. There are more rapes among people of a certain religion and of certain ethnicities, too. Do you just send this flyer out to them?
Truths
Rep:
?
(Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes)
Because one is victim blaming every woman who has been raped and the other is accusing every man on the planet of being a potential rapist. Equally bad as each other.
Where is the accusation? Sounds like projection to me. Technically speaking, every man does have the potential to rape and every woman has the potential to be a victim of rape, so of course this list is made generally. Then again, these tips are done tongue and cheek, whereas in reverse it's always dead serious, to the point where they have classes on college campuses.
So Instinct
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aj12)
I've come across it before and can sort of wrap my head around it. However suggesting that rape is somehow acceptable or a cultural norm.... What the hell?
Yeah the idea is silly but commonly screamed by radical progressives. It's just part of their skewed, hateful view of society and sometimes of men.

The fact that similar ideologies are taught in universities today is a baffling reality.
Truths
Rep:
?
This is because the society as a whole has discouraged reports or discussions of all kinds from men who are raped.
For both men and women.
Whenever a child gets raped by a woman, and it makes the news, people are like 'oh I'd want to be that boy!', 'he's so lucky!', etc.
Not that I disagree of the existence of this double standard. But this list was clearly concerning forcible rape, not statuary rape.
User1824259
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
That's just completely uninsightful and stupid.

when you see a woman in a broken car, don't try to rape her? Well, d'uh!!!
silverbolt
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by sacca)
This is good, we should be teaching men not to rape and stop victim blaming. Institutionalized violence towards women must stop.
Blah blah this comment again.

Look decent men already KNOW not to rape. We dont need a class, any more than we need lessons on how not to burgle, or murder, or shoplift, or drive 90mph at school letting out time. We already dont do it.

Rapists will rape no matter how many times you tell them "but its wrong"

Victim blaming and institutionalized violence. With you 100%

As for the list. As a male I take it as a bit of tongue in cheek humour. It's a funny read, nothing really to get offended over
Truths
Rep:
?
(Original post by crosstalk)
That's just completely uninsightful and stupid.

when you see a woman in a broken car, don't try to rape her? Well, d'uh!!!
You'd be surprised just how uncommon, common sense can be.
Baron of Sealand
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Not that I disagree of the existence of this double standard. But this list was clearly concerning forcible rape, not statuary rape.
Teenage boys, young adults, and older adults get raped too.

I was only stating an example which I could actually think of off the top of my head and the actual responses I read.

Just because people don't talk about males being raped, doesn't mean it doesn't happen. Just think about it: If adult males claim that they have been raped, they would most likely just be ridiculed.
Truths
Rep:
?
(Original post by silverbolt)
Look decent men already KNOW not to rape. We dont need a class, any more than we need lessons on how not to burgle, or murder, or shoplift, or drive 90mph at school letting out time. We already dont do it.
This is why victims are so afraid to come forward. Because when it's a police man, teacher, priest, uncle, student that has raped them, they doubt themselves because everyone else at least see's them as "decent people". When really, everyone and anyone has it in them. We call them monster and act like their are different species to dissociate ourselves from the issue, when really these people are still a part and a product of our society. So, just know you are doing more harm than good with that simpleminded rhetoric.
Truths
Rep:
?
Teenage boys, young adults, and older adults get raped too.
As I said, statistics show that heterosexual men need the public announcement the most. Maybe it would have been even better if the list was gender neutral but then again, it was tongue and cheek.

Just because people don't talk about males being raped, doesn't mean it doesn't happen. Just think about it: If adult males claim that they have been raped, they would most likely just be ridiculed.
You also need to remember that women are ridiculed too, although the reasoning and attitudes behind it maybe different, female victims still get their fair share of backlash in their own way.
Baron of Sealand
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You also need to remember that women are ridiculed too, although the reasoning and attitudes behind it maybe different, female victims still get their fair share of backlash in their own way.
The female victims and the male rapists get a similar level of backlash in the society, but if a male adult is to come out and claim that he's been raped, no-one will take him seriously. At all.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (135)
62.79%
No I haven't decided yet (46)
21.4%
Yes but I might change my mind (34)
15.81%

Watched Threads