The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Why has no one else noticed that the thread title was £30,000, then in the first sentence it goes down to £25,000, but in the calculations it goes down to £20,000?

Also I imagine the average person will have a partner or someone who they live with, so tbh the bills should be halved.
(edited 9 years ago)
£700 a month rent is ridiculously expensive! The city i'm in is one of the more expensive in the UK but my rent is only £400 because ive made compromises. If you're earning £25k a year then it's stupid to live somewhere that expensive. You have to live within your means.
Original post by scrotgrot
Why the hell would anyone rent in a high class area? You rent in a cheap ****hole and buy in a nice area because rent is money down the toilet buying is an investment.

renting is actually freedom, no tie downs and freedom to move where u like . i have self respect and would never willingly choose, to rent or buy in an area that wasn't prestigious and sort after... i also would hate living near neighbours whom were not like minded
Original post by rayquaza17
Why has no one else noticed that the thread title was £30,000, then in the first sentence it goes down to £25,000, but in the calculations it goes down to £20,000?

Also I imagine the average person will have a partner or someone who they live with, so tbh the bills should be halved.

The money drops from 25K to 20K due to tax although I'm not sure why OP mentioned 30K.
Original post by studentLynch
renting is actually freedom, no tie downs and freedom to move where u like . i have self respect and would never willingly choose, to rent or buy in an area that wasn't prestigious and sort after... i also would hate living near neighbours whom were not like minded

Snobbish people are not nice I think, people who live in ****ty areas are more real and friendlier. I don't get why needing to be in fancy surroundings equals self-respect, it looks like insecurity to me. I would also not be able to countenance the waste of money in renting expensively.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by scrotgrot
Snobbish people are not nice I think, people who live in ****ty areas are more real and friendlier. I don't get why needing to be in fancy surroundings equals self-respect, it looks like insecurity to me. I would also not be able to countenance the waste of money in renting expensively.

im not snobby i just like the better things in life and ill do whatever i need to in order to live the way i do, I'm not snobby i dated a girl who lived on a council estate however that ended when her mum wanted me to drive her bone idle ass around
Reply 46
I live on £20k pretty damn comfortably so I don't know what the problem is.

Also, £700 for rent? Not to mention excluding bills? Stop living well outside of your means and you might stand a chance.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 47
Original post by Physflop
Thinking about this even more I'm baffled at your rent prices here! I used to rent for £300 a month INCLUDING electric and gas!!!!! And I know someone who lives in a nice area, 2 bedroomed house with fields out the back, for £500 a month. So maybe you should take into account that people earning 25K would not be living in a house for £700 a month hahaha

You must live in a mud hut.. im talking about house rental or even 700pm for a mortgage.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 48
Original post by CJKay
I live on £20k pretty damn comfortably so I don't know what the problem is.

Also, £700 for rent? Not to mention excluding bills? Stop living well outside of your means and you might stand a chance.

Why should I be stuck in a 300 squat when those on housing benefit are in 3 bed new builds.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Fanatical Geek
Hence the proposed 23k cap on benefits per family I suppose.

Posted from TSR Mobile

23k is still far too high.
Original post by T.I.P
lets say you earn £25k per year and you are renting like many others or tbh even if your not this example still applies.

According to Money Savings website you would pay:

£2,880
income tax and £2,033 in National Insurance

if we add these together we get £4913

so lets just round that up to £5000 and take the amount awat from 25K which would leave you with £20000.

Lets say you are renting a house and its costing you 700 per month plus council tax and electricity bills, internet, food etc etc. lets call it 1300 in total (and thats cheap tbh) and times that by 12 to represent the total cost of the year we have a total of £15600 going out on these costs and thats no including cost of your car insurance, travel cost, clothing and other costs that spring up. So working with the numbers we have we can do 20000-15600 and we are left with £4600 so you have worked all year for this amount, the rest of the money has been spent on basic human survival imposed upon us by the higher powers. if you wanted to calculate further it would work out for a whole year you would earn £12.35 per day.

so all in all you wont be living a life of luxury especially if you're single, and tbh even if you earned 30k you would still be a white collar slave.

But, if you're on the dole, you'd still have to fund all of that yourself. The thing is, break down most people's benefits, and they would most be spent on food, rent, and utilities, and not to mention that they don't have the security of a long-term job.
I think the title was a generalisation, the example though started at £25k, and as others have said £700 for rent is high if you're earning <=£25k.

However I don't see the point in taking apart the maths and coming out with, "you'd have £450 left, not £400!!". What seems glaringly obvious to me is, the OP is very conscious of earning a decent wage to get some of the nicer things in life. I base this on the round number of 30k, the general question subject and the use of luxury lifestyle.

The reality is, if you are concerned with building a career with money in mind and not doing something because you love it et cetera, then there's a couple things. Firstly, £30k is by no stretch of the imagination a lot of money for someone degree educated, it's just not. Many graduates start on this kind of money, and I took 6 months in my first role before I was earning £30k - I'm by no means special (£28k to be precise).
Secondly, you're not going to spend your life on your first wage of £25k, especially if you're driven by money.

Depending on what field you work in, it may be the norm to move around on a fairly regular basis and jump the pay scale each time in the region of £5k. Now this is a large generalisation so to reiterate, it depends on where you are and what you do and what industry you do that in. For example let's say you graduate with Computer Science, you work in the North of England and for a charity. You're not going to earn the money a CS graduate would earn working in Aberdeen in the Oil & Gas industry, or London/Edinburgh in finance.

In a nutshell, your first few years of work are usually far from luxurious. You're working normally to gain experience, you're not quite in your dream job nor is your lifestyle. You may be living with your parents, in a dive or house sharing with randoms. You may drive a crap car, you may fly economy once a year to Costa del England.

The point is, in 5 years if you've knuckled down, you won't be earning bad money - a fair bit more than 30k - and you'll be looking at more senior roles with some potentially nice bonuses and employment packages. Compare that to 5 years on the dole...
Reply 52
Original post by T.I.P
lets say you earn £25k per year and you are renting like many others or tbh even if your not this example still applies.

According to Money Savings website you would pay:

£2,880
income tax and £2,033 in National Insurance

if we add these together we get £4913

so lets just round that up to £5000 and take the amount awat from 25K which would leave you with £20000.

Lets say you are renting a house and its costing you 700 per month plus council tax and electricity bills, internet, food etc etc. lets call it 1300 in total (and thats cheap tbh) and times that by 12 to represent the total cost of the year we have a total of £15600 going out on these costs and thats no including cost of your car insurance, travel cost, clothing and other costs that spring up. So working with the numbers we have we can do 20000-15600 and we are left with £4600 so you have worked all year for this amount, the rest of the money has been spent on basic human survival imposed upon us by the higher powers. if you wanted to calculate further it would work out for a whole year you would earn £12.35 per day.

so all in all you wont be living a life of luxury especially if you're single, and tbh even if you earned 30k you would still be a white collar slave.

Sigh, nonsense on so many levels.

1) Your title talks about 30k, which you immediately drop. By your very questionable calculations, moving it up to 30k turns your 4.6k disposable in to over 8k disposable after tax - that's not half bad is it?

2) You claim you might as well be on the doll, yet nowhere do you actually compare to what you would have on the dole. You build your calculations around living in a reasonably nice place (@700pm), having ample expenses (@600pm, given bills probably cost you under 200), having a car etc. So congratulations, you've worked out that if you spend lots of money, you might not have much left!

3) You also completely ignore the long term impact of being on the dole. People don't walk in to six figure jobs, you start at the bottom and work your way up. There's no upwards trajectory on the dole.

So all in all, your post is utter nonsense and people would need to be dumb to listen to you.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 53
Original post by T.I.P
Why should I be stuck in a 300 squat when those on housing benefit are in 3 bed new builds.

Posted from TSR Mobile

There is a £400 difference between £300 and £700, if you didn't notice.

Original post by sr90
Why should the Government subsidise all of that though? Fair enough if they were working and needed a bit of state support to top up their income (the majority of housing benefit claimants are in work), or if they needed a safety net in case of redundancy, but that amount of money should never be payable to a single claimant for an extended period of time.

If they can't afford a big family they shouldn't have one. The sooner this ''breeding for benefits'' culture stops the better.

And what do you suppose we do with them, hm?
Reply 54
Original post by CJKay
There is a £400 difference between £300 and £700, if you didn't notice.

And what do you suppose we do with them, hm?

Again you are missing the point you get FREE money on the dole, meaning you dont have to be a white colar slave for the duration of your life.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 55
Original post by T.I.P
Again you are missing the point you get FREE money on the dole, meaning you dont have to be a white colar slave for the duration of your life.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh what a shame, I'm sure it'd be better if they were all sleeping on park benches or being euthanised, right?

There are no single under 35 year olds on housing benefit who are also in a £700 monthly new build unless there is a good reason for it, or something has been horribly miscalculated.

Perhaps you should take a look at how housing benefit works.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 56
Original post by CJKay
Oh what a shame, I'm sure it'd be better if they were all sleeping on park benches or being euthanised, right?

There are no single under 35 year olds on housing benefit who are also in a £700 monthly new build unless there is a good reason for it, or something has been horribly miscalculated.

Perhaps you should take a look at how housing benefit works.

When did age come into this? Anyway you are wrong for the simple fact that regardless of rent prices new builds sell for 200k minimum and alot of benefit tenants are in these houses that you would be paying a £700pm mortgage on

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 57
Original post by T.I.P
When did age come into this? Anyway you are wrong for the simple fact that regardless of rent prices new builds sell for 200k minimum and alot of benefit tenants are in these houses that you would be paying a £700pm mortgage on

Posted from TSR Mobile

My mortgage is £519/month.

New build what sell for £200k min?
Reply 58
Original post by T.I.P

Posted from TSR Mobile

You seem very selective in who you reply to. Your logic is incredibly flawed.

What do you do out of interest? Do you work yourself?
Sorry to say this but you're being BUMPED. Even in the South East, even in London you can find studio flats cheaper than £700pm, you're just not looking very hard or you want to live in a great area. You sacrifice some things you can pay way less. It's the lifestyle you choose to lead, I know people living in London who pay £200/300pm

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest