Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophieSmall)
    You're knowledgeable on photography?
    Only vaguely. Knowledgeable for a straight guy, sure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hockham jaynsaw)
    Only vaguely. Knowledgeable for a guy, sure.
    Naw never mind.

Was just going to ask why I always look poo in photos, I follow all the advice for taking a good picture but it seems if I'm not the one taking the picture 9/10 it looks awful and a lot of the time it doesn't even look anything like me.

Edit: also just what? Sexual orientation has nothing to do with photography, many great photographers are straight males. In fact I'm pretty sure straight males dominate the industry.

ReputationRep:
    You're the one who complained about taking bad photos! If you don't want constructive advice, don't try playing down things you don't wants criticized.
    When did I complain about taking bad photos? I complained about my features, was appreciative of good lighting, and how it accentuates said features. I said this pic was horrible in regards to lighting compared to my other ones, but not once did I say I took bad photos. But thanks for thinking that!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cake_lover)
    No idea, been working out since October (just started again this week after a 2 month "break"). But in comparision, my thighs seem to get bigger quicker.

I live close to the border, so I don't have a Welsh accent
    When you say squat, do you mean barbell squat? There's an extra 50 points for using a barbell.

Well, as long as you're not ginger as well we might be okay to copulate. Depends on a few other factors such as your affinity to sheep and use of words such as 'lush'.

ReputationRep:
    Naw never mind.

Was just going to ask why I always look poo in photos, I follow all the advice for taking a good picture but it seems if I'm not the one taking the picture 9/10 it looks awful and a lot of the time it doesn't even look anything like me.

Edit: also just what? Sexual orientation has nothing to do with photography, many great photographers are straight males. In fact I'm pretty sure straight males dominate the industry.
    Just playing on the stereotype. I'm sure it was incorrect of me... my first instinct when saying I know a little about photography was to think about the digs I'd get if I was asked that in front of friends. No harm meant.

ReputationRep:
    Just playing on the stereotype. I'm sure it was incorrect of me... my first instinct when saying I know a little about photography was to think about the digs I'd get if I was asked that in front of friends. No harm meant.
    Whether harm was meant or not is irrelevant.

Stereotypes harm everyone to be honest, though we're all guilty of it to some extent or other.

ReputationRep:
    When you say squat, do you mean barbell squat? There's an extra 50 points for using a barbell.

Well, as long as you're not ginger as well we might be okay to copulate. Depends on a few other factors such as your affinity to sheep and use of words such as 'lush'.
    Always with a barbell (none of the smith machine nonsense)

I'm South Asian ethnically, just was born and raised in Wales, so definitely not ginger! Any welshness in my accent has gone since living in England for Uni, and I've not attempted to molest a sheep (yet...)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Whether harm was meant or not is irrelevant.

Stereotypes harm everyone to be honest, though we're all guilty of it to some extent or other.
    Oh get over it. I'm sure the guys in the industry wouldn't mind a tongue in cheek comment like that... just like male nurses get digs about being in a girl's profession. nobody actually cares. the point of male banter like that (piss taking) is about assessing somebody's value not through the actual profession but how they respond to the poking at a potential weakness. if they handle it well, they earn respect. if they act like a girl, they'll be treated like one.

ReputationRep:
    Oh get over it. I'm sure the guys in the industry wouldn't mind a tongue in cheek comment like that... just like male nurses get digs about being in a girl's profession. nobody actually cares. the point of male banter like that (piss taking) is about assessing somebody's value not through the actual profession but how they respond to the poking at a potential weakness. if they handle it well, they earn respect. if they act like a girl, they'll be treated like one.

Well someone got hostile pretty quick. :rolleyes:

Women can partake in banter too you know, I partake in it often myself.

oooh and a bit of sexism mixed in. Nice one.

ReputationRep:
    Well someone got hostile pretty quick. :rolleyes:

Women can partake in banter too you know, I partake in it often myself.

oooh and a bit of sexism mixed in. Nice one.
    Sure. I get irritated at overly PC. People are far too sensitive about things that don't matter and it irks me.

Women can banter but it's not the same thing. It's how men assess each other. it's like those tests women give potential boyfriends, except far more overt. For women it's just the joking aspect, i think.

Yes, act like a girl. Like, you know, you reacted when I mentioned straight men and photography... because you're a girl.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cake_lover)
    Always with a barbell (none of the smith machine nonsense)

I'm South Asian ethnically, just was born and raised in Wales, so definitely not ginger! Any welshness in my accent has gone since living in England for Uni, and I've not attempted to molest a sheep (yet...)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Barbell squat +60
    Welsh -50
    SEA + 150

aw *** help.

ReputationRep:
    Sure. I get irritated at overly PC. People are far too sensitive about things that don't matter and it irks me.

Women can banter but it's not the same thing. It's how men assess each other. it's like those tests women give potential boyfriends, except far more overt.

Yes, act like a girl. Like, you know, you reacted when I mentioned straight men and photography... because you're a girl.
    Who are you to decide it doesn't matter? It's called an opinion, people have them. Including you, shock horror.

Um no, women can banter and they can do it much the same.

If you really think only women point out those things you're not only sexist but an idiot. Well done.

So sexist, pls stp.

:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Who are you to decide it doesn't matter? It's called an opinion, people have them. Including you, shock horror.

Um no, women can banter and they can do it much the same.

If you really think only women point out those things you're not only sexist but an idiot. Well done.

So sexist, pls stp.

:rolleyes:
    I probably am sexist. If you want to have a debate about equality in general, you'll find that most agree that there isn't really any objective truth to an inherent equality in anybody... especially in the sexes. Women have gained a lot of traction recently (thankfully) but the reality is that women only have the power men give them. Don't get me wrong here, I don't think this is a good thing, but men, still hold all the power to give/take freedoms away from women, simply because our physical advantage early on meant we established dominance (you can't argue that.. women had no rights until recently) and it's only through political ideas about equality and discrimination that women are as successful as they are today. Negotiations aside, do you think women really have a chance?

I'm certainly not saying women are not capable human beings or that men are 'better' here -- Just want to clear that up. I just think men have the power and I don't see that changing any time soon, whether that's a good or bad thing.

ReputationRep:
    I probably am sexist. If you want to have a debate about equality in general, you'll find that most agree that there isn't really any objective truth to an inherent equality in anybody... especially in the sexes. Women have gained a lot of traction recently (thankfully) but the reality is that women only have the power women give them. Don't get me wrong here, I don't think this is a good thing, but men, still hold all the power to give/take freedoms away from women, simply because our physical advantage early on meant we established dominance (you can't argue that.. women had no rights until recently) and it's only through political ideas about equality and discrimination that women are as successful as they are today. Negotiations aside, do you think women really have a chance?

I'm certainly not saying women are not capable human beings or that men are 'better' here -- Just want to clear that up. I just think men have the power and I don't see that changing any time soon, whether that's a good or bad thing.
    Yes.

And at least you admit to "probably" being sexist.

Anyway off to bed most likely, so goodbye. Hopefully I won't talk to you again as honestly I feel like you'll just lose me IQ points.

ReputationRep:
    Yes.

And at least you admit to "probably" being sexist.

Anyway off to bed most likely, so goodbye. Hopefully I won't talk to you again as honestly I feel like you'll just lose me IQ points.
    You don't think that was a well reasoned and balanced argument? Sexism exists because there is no inherent equality. That doesn't make me a moron; it just makes me amoral. I don't appreciate you attributing it to a low IQ in an ad homien attempt to get out of the fact that maybe I am talking a little sense. I'm studying at Oxford -- I worked hard to get here -- and I don't appreciate my intelligence being belittled on a whim based on an argument you disagree with.

Sexism is not a function of intelligence: only views on the intrinsic value of a person. The question is what exactly makes everyone equal? There is nothing. Thus, anything that negates a man's natural advantage is an emotional, moral argument, not an objective, logical one.

ReputationRep:
    Lol. I remember I complimented your lips on a pic and you removed it. The one with the glasses, remember?

Occams.
    oh lol. I didn't remove it because of your compliment Just wanted it off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tai Ga)
    oh lol. I didn't remove it because of your compliment Just wanted it off.
    You seemed slightly weirded out by it. I seem to remember ':lolwut:' being the reaction :p:
    I'm glad you've come to appreciate them finally.

ReputationRep:
    My hair. I love having an afro, and how versatile it is. I could potentially radically change my hairstyle daily (if I had unlimited money and patience).

Definitely my cheekbones an unusual one though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mochassassin)
    Just feels like people notice the more corporeal aspects of someone's physical appearance. Like, body size and whatnot, not how sincere/warm a person's smile is.
    I notice a woman who can beat me on Rainbow Road, come at me bro

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.