Turn on thread page Beta

who voted conservative seeing as everyone I speak to is angry?? watch

ReputationRep:
    I am a student, this is my first vote. I looked through all the manifestos and watched all the debates and voted conservatives.

I kept it a secret. People got berated for voting Conservative.
    This guy next to me in the library was getting attacked by his two friends telling him what a bad decision he made.

I felt truly awful, no wonder people hide their decision, their afraid of people attacking them.

No party is perfect and we won't see the effects of them until they are in power, whoever won.

Everyone has their own opportunity to vote and voice their own opinions so I don't understand what people are so angry about.

You shouldn't hate the people who choose, but the prime minister if he messes it up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by balanced)
    I agree with promoting small business, but it does show a good economy in my view. I take it by your pro small business stance, you're pro-ukip?
    Certainly not, because I don't consider UKIP a net gain when all their policies are considered. What were UKIP's policies on small businesses?

I vote on issues like housing and a strong benefit system mainly. Labour certainly had the best offer on both of these.

Labour need to claim the ground on small businesses, but they don't have the organisational culture that allows them to understand this.

I certainly supported UKIP over the Tories.

FTSE 100 growth doesn't show a good economy, I've set out my arguments for why; can you set our your arguments for why it does show a good economy?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by scrotgrot)
    Certainly not, because I don't consider UKIP a net gain when all their policies are considered. What were UKIP's policies on small businesses?

I vote on issues like housing and a strong benefit system mainly. Labour certainly had the best offer on both of these.

Labour need to claim the ground on small businesses, but they don't have the organisational culture that allows them to understand this.

I certainly supported UKIP over the Tories.

FTSE 100 growth doesn't show a good economy, I've set out my arguments for why; can you set our your arguments for why it does show a good economy?
    upon further study, it does seem that the ftse100 doesn't really reflect the economy, only very broadly.

Guess I was wrong on that, thanks for enlightening me.

ReputationRep:
    upon further study, it does seem that the ftse100 doesn't really reflect the economy, only very broadly.

Guess I was wrong on that, thanks for enlightening me.
    Hmm, I think this is a big problem on how the average schmuck understands the economy. I do think most people assume things like if there is money flying around in big business that's what the economy is and therefore the economy must be good.

If Labour are terrible with "the economy" in that sort of sense, as a Labour supporter I'm proud of that fact.

What did you look at to suddenly come to that conclusion btw?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    = can't make their minds up
    Well, if you like, I suppose: I said that this is probably why the left always splits. I found myself incapable of expressing it without using the language of value judgement, but made clear that I wanted it not to be interpreted in that way.

Here is another example of black-and-white thinking on the part of the right wing: your objection assumes that I was arguing that the left was "better".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amhorangerdgerriug)
    It's just that the left are rather more belligerent and loudmouthed than most people. Everyone else is too busy at work/studying/getting on with their lives to make a fuss about the success of sensible politics and competent economics.
    This.

I wouldn't shout about cutting back public expenditure however necessary it is!

ReputationRep:
    I wonder why a crushing majority of professional academic economists, across a range of schools, agree that austerity is an awful idea which has harmed the UK and every other country which tries it.

Could it possibly be that our rulers - political and economic - have vested interests in oppressing us, or could it be that they're stupid and over-promoted due to their privilege?
    Well strictly speaking the economists are right from a pure growth point of view. All you need do is have the deficit grow slower than growth and it still becomes more affordable (hence how the US have a deficit of hundreds of billions but it's smaller relative to economic size). And obviously austerity reduces one competent of aggregate demand. It won't clear the deficit any faster but it does keep the market off our backs.

But, politics is somewhat different in that there is relative support for a fiscally conservative government. Most people want the deficit gone as an issue quickly and there are more electoral rewards in saying we have a £50bn surplus to spend than saying our economy grew 1% faster but we still have a slowly falling deficit.

Not to mention though that growth and wage growth are not the same thing. We have issues that would be around either way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iamintorture)
    How do we know it isn't a fix and we are actually not living in a democracy????
    Its because people who vote conservatives know its selfish so just don't go around expressing it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amhorangerdgerriug)
    It's just that the left are rather more belligerent and loudmouthed than most people. Everyone else is too busy at work/studying/getting on with their lives to make a fuss about the success of sensible politics and competent economics.
    Ha. Yeah right. Judging by how loud mouthed the right wingers were pre-election, had they lost, the reactions from them would have been even more annoying than bitter left wingers right now.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Hmm, I think this is a big problem on how the average schmuck understands the economy. I do think most people assume things like if there is money flying around in big business that's what the economy is and therefore the economy must be good.

If Labour are terrible with "the economy" in that sort of sense, as a Labour supporter I'm proud of that fact.

What did you look at to suddenly come to that conclusion btw?
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/bu...y-7720778.html
    https://www.share.com/new-to-investi...s-it-all-mean/
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-31603167 (info about it further down)

Basically I concluded that the ftse 100 included companies such as HSBC, oil firms and any company large enough to be in it, is most likely an international company, so the uk economy would only partially affect it.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    Im a Tory supporter, so im fairly happy :bigsmile:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a10)

I found this quite funny lol
    (Original post by sarskinz)
    This is funnier.

Skip to 0:33 - this made me laugh

ReputationRep:
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/bu...y-7720778.html
    https://www.share.com/new-to-investi...s-it-all-mean/
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-31603167 (info about it further down)

Basically I concluded that the ftse 100 included companies such as HSBC, oil firms and any company large enough to be in it, is most likely an international company, so the uk economy would only partially affect it.
    This is why the fastest growing economies in the world have always been dirigiste mixed models to some degree. Putin's Russia, the Asian tigers, China, Europe after the war. Laissez-faire without capital controls or anything like that is not good for the country's economy.

And this is where UKIP-style thinking has merits: it's like "Thatcherism in one country", or at least that's the general impression I get. I'd rather more left-wing, like the FN, but as no other party is advocating protectionism in any sense beggars can't be choosers.

Even within a country I also take massive issue with inequality which can also harm economic growth by reducing demand. I am usually called a filthy commie for saying so, but it's not like that. It's just that unfettered inequality is quite as harmful as artificial equality.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by annarchy.)

Skip to 0:33 - this made me laugh
    hahahaha Cameron what a guy

ReputationRep:
    I voted tory and I have no shame in it whatsoever. Comparing their policy with labour on economic issues, I am really not convinced by the idea Labour proposed. One simply does not increase borrowing to tackle debt, it doesn't work like that. Put it in a simple analogy, if you owe someone money, it would be sensible for you to cut back on general spendings, than borrowing more and hoping for things to work out fine. That is from a national point of view. From my own perspective, I am a STEM student in one of the top unis in the country, hopefully within a decades time I will be in the top tax bracket. Now, do I want to vote for a party which is going to maintain the tax rate (Let's face it they are not gonna cut tax) or increase the top tax rate, which in my opinion, is discouraging for young people to work the way up the social ladder. Now you may say that's social unjust and we need some marxist wealth redistribution. Ok well if that's a top job from public sector fair enough, but in a private hold company or bank, why are you punishing the high flyers just because they earn more money that you per annum. The system should celebrate achievement not discouraging the accumulation of wealth, call that greedy but since the start of history, 99.99% of activity people carried out is for their own good

thanks for reading, here's a short video if you are interested
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWsx1X8PV_A

ReputationRep:
    I did. And I live in one of the poorest areas in Scotland. I would have voted UKIP but there wasn't anyone standing in my area.

ReputationRep:
    The reason you don't hear about Conservative voters is because, following the trend of apparently the last 100 years, we are still being smeared as 'evil'.

The point is this: the success of liberal economics is largely indirect, since it does not promote directly redistributing money. The people who recognize this are the working people who feel its success, and the others who have dared to look past the stigma and actually read books on the topic. It's no surprise, then, that people think the Tories are evil, and that, recognizing this, people do not admit that they support them.

At least it is clear now that Labour won't do well perpetuating this divisive class-war nonsense. Perhaps the shy Tory voter phenomenon will end then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    I voted Conservative.

The reason your not hearing from us is because across vast swathes of the internet right now, the left are choosing to attack us personally rather than explain why they think our policies are bad. It's no suprise that Tory voters keep quiet when the left seem to be stuck so far up their own ass they can't see daylight.

*Not all of the left have been so bad.
    Are you parents loaded then?

ReputationRep:
    I thought that and then dismissed it as a silly thought lol.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Rather a lot of us on here voted Conservative, and you do realise OP that the UK constitutes of more than just those on TSR, right? You do realise those that are older tend to be more right leaning on average? I also suspect that the people you know personally will be largely of a similar political assignation as yourself, further leading your, I daresay given your reaction, narrow mind to try to find some reason for the success of the Tories other than they're the better party and of the options available the British people wanted a Conservative government.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.