Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Feels)
    Like Blacks and Asians are any different, people want a leader of their own race, its why in Bradford all the MPs are Asian (except Galloway, but he is a huge anti-Zionist so is an honourary Pakistani)
    Galloway's not an MP any more.

Just because its the same across races doesn't mean it isn't racist. Anyway where I love on Birmingham as a similar racial Mox to Bradford and our mp is white and won by a landslide...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redferry)
    We are talking about ukip voters here. My partner is from Yorkshire and the vast majority of his village are ukippy types and are genuine racists. Some of the stuff his family come out with makes me want to throw up.

Also 30% of Britons said they wouldntnwant a non white prime minister. If that's not racist I don't know what is..
    I am not sure what your point is.

Are you arguing that the Labour Party should shouldn't elect Umunna because 30% of the country is racist and therefore they won't gain key marginals and will remain unelectable?

Or that they should? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by interact)
    Just watched some clips of Chucku, brill guy. I'd be very happy if he becomes leader, but I really can't see many working class white people voting for him. I doubt he was being serious about moving parliament
    You are arguing against your own premise, are you not?

You want Umunna as Leader yet understand that if he is elected he will be very unpopular with white working class voters on whom Labour will depend to win the next Election.

So you want to elect a certain future loser as Leader so that Labour can be at least 15 years (2010 to 2025) in the wilderness...

No wonder Labour is in such a mess. First they choose (thanks to the Unions) the unelectable Milliband. Now you are seriously considering Chuka Umunna.

:eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chocolate hottie)
    I am not sure what your point is.

Are you arguing that the Labour Party should shouldn't elect Umunna because 30% of the country is racist and therefore they won't gain key marginals and will remain unelectable?

Or that they should? :confused:
    I'm not arguing either way, I'm just pointing out it is a risk if Umunna is selected

I'm going to ask my partners family what they think of him before I make up my mind. The main issue in the decision of Burnham vs Umunna : Umuna is BME and comes off as pretty posh so could turn working class voters off. Burnham is a Scouser, so it will be hard to get most of the North to like him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Feels)
    Like Blacks and Asians are any different, people want a leader of their own race, its why in Bradford all the MPs are Asian (except Galloway, but he is a huge anti-Zionist so is an honourary Pakistani)
    Mr Galloway is also, thankfully, no longer an MP. He's coming to the London mayoral Election party next.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not arguing either way, I'm just pointing out it is a risk if Umunna is selected

I'm going to ask my partners family what they think of him before I make up my mind. The main issue in the decision of Burnham vs Umunna : Umuna is BME and comes off as pretty posh so could turn working class voters off. Burnham is a Scouser, so it will be hard to get most of the North to like him.
    I am not a Labour Party member any more, left some time ago, but if I could vote it would be for Yvette Cooper.

She is a bit robotic on TV which is a disadvantage, but is VERY bright, and of course a woman. She has what it takes intellectually to get Labour back in the game, but also seems pretty ruthless which is a bonus.

ReputationRep:
    I am not a Labour Party member any more, left some time ago, but if I could vote it would be for Yvette Cooper.

She is a bit robotic on TV which is a disadvantage, but is VERY bright, and of course a woman. She has what it takes intellectually to get Labour back in the game, but also seems pretty ruthless which is a bonus.
    She is so boring and far too tainted by the Blair years...

Burnham to be the next Labour leader! Him or Yvette

ReputationRep:
    She is so boring and far too tainted by the Blair years...

Boring or a safe pair of hands like Hilary Clinton?

Andy Burnham was the Health Secretary in the last Labour Government and the Mid Staffs Scandal took place on his watch. (Something the Tories didn't let him forget in the Campaign). I don't see how she is tainted and he isn't.

As big an issue, no, a much bigger issue, is policy direction. Both Cooper and Umunna are on the right of the party, Burnham on the left. (ish)

Labour can't win from the left, they couldn't under George Lansbury, or Foot, or Kinnock, or Milliband.

If they choose Burnham they are as doomed as they would be under Umuna for different reasons. That is why I say Cooper is your only choice.

Not my problem anyway...

ReputationRep:
    All these comparisons with Obama are so ****ing stupid. They are ENTIRELY different. The only thing they have in common is their skin colour, which isn't even the same shade. So stupid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stickman)
    Burnham to be the next Labour leader! Him or Yvette
    This is what I find a bit dispiriting about British politics. It is seemingly all about personality and hardly ever about policy.

Yvette Cooper and Andy Burnham have radically different political views as far as I can see, and would take the party in different directions, and the country too, if elected.

I wish the debate on who will be Labour Leader started to focus on what the candidates seek to achieve for the country, as well as their personal electability, even though I admit that that is of crucial importance too.

Maybe we will see it but I am not holding my breath.

ReputationRep:
    Boring or a safe pair of hands like Hilary Clinton?

Andy Burnham was the Health Secretary in the last Labour Government and the Mid Staffs Scandal took place on his watch. (Something the Tories didn't let him forget in the Campaign). I don't see how she is tainted and he isn't.

As big an issue, no, a much bigger issue, is policy direction. Both Cooper and Umunna are on the right of the party, Burnham on the left. (ish)

Labour can't win from the left, they couldn't under George Lansbury, or Foot, or Kinnock, or Milliband.

If they choose Burnham they are as doomed as they would be under Umuna for different reasons. That is why I say Cooper is your only choice.

Not my problem anyway...
    Except he was brought in to deal with the mid staffs scandal, he wasn't there when it happened. He was brought in in 2009, the scandal happened in 2007.

Burnham isn't particularly left, he's very conservative in terms of his views on marriage etc. I don't really know where the idea he is left of the party has come from tbh.

Cooper is irrelevant, no way she will win.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xin Xang)
    All these comparisons with Obama are so ****ing stupid. They are ENTIRELY different. The only thing they have in common is their skin colour, which isn't even the same shade. So stupid.
    Well actually they are both in the political centre...

What you're forgetting is that the majority of the electorate is stupid and really can't be bothered to do much more than look at the politicians on show when they decide for whom to vote, so being black does actually have an effect.

ReputationRep:
    I think he'd be a honey magnet as PM. He'd probably do a Clinton.

ReputationRep:
    Except he was brought in to deal with the mid staffs scandal, he wasn't there when it happened. He was brought in in 2009, the scandal happened in 2007.
    He wasn't there when it happened but tried to cover it up.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...to-deaths.html
    Burnham isn't particularly left, he's very conservative in terms of his views on marriage etc. I don't really know where the idea he is left of the party has come from tbh.
    His antics as Shadow Health Secretary, I suspect, and the strong support he receives from the Unions.
    Cooper is irrelevant, no way she will win.
    Here's to Tory rule till at least 2025 then!

ReputationRep:
    He wasn't there when it happened but tried to cover it up.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...to-deaths.html

His antics as Shadow Health Secretary, I suspect, and the strong support he receives from the Unions.

Here's to Tory rule till at least 2025 then!
    My dad said some unions are thinking of backing Chuka...

Tories will never leave power once the boundaries change in my opinion, but fight on we must.

ReputationRep:
    It's a pity that Dan Jarvis has declared a non-interest, and obviously definitvely: there is no going back on "my kids lost their mum, I won't deprive them of a dad."

Keir Starmer and Stella Creasy for me. Leader and Deputy. They'd look like the older rogue & younger safely-sexy pairings from daytime telly and would terrify the Tories.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MatthewParis)
    Chuka Umunna has effectively fired the starting gun on the Labour leadership race by publishing an opinion piece in the Observer.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...stakes-we-made

He has some interesting things to say, and I particularly agree with;

Having said that, I don't think Chuka is the right man for the job. He has a history of churlish and immature behaviour (walking out of TV interviews, etc) and tendency to the most superficial kind of elitism (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...urs-Obama.html).
    r
    Arrogant poncey ****.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ibzombie96)
    Well actually they are both in the political centre...

What you're forgetting is that the majority of the electorate is stupid and really can't be bothered to do much more than look at the politicians on show when they decide for whom to vote, so being black does actually have an effect.
    Very true. Appearance is half the battle when it comes to winning the election. David Cameron had a statesman-like quality whereas Milliband often came across as an awkward nerd.

It's unfortunate that it isn't more about party policy during general elections but the reality of the situation is people can't really be bothered to delve that deeply into parties' manifestos. Their vote pretty much comes down to:

1. How does the leader look? Trustworthy, commanding etc
    2. What sound bites have I been hearing in the media lately? (Deficit, immigration, benefit cheats and so on)
    3. How is my personal situation? (Good = vote for incumbent party, bad = think about opposition)

The important thing to do sometimes is to not over-complicate it. You can have the greatest message/policies in the world, but if you don't have the right leader to deliver them, they'll fall on deaf ears.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MillieXYZ)
    I'm not sure if Chuka is ready yet, also seems like the skeletons would come crawling out of the cupboard. He has an unwavering habit of dodging questions and answering the question that he wishes was asked. I think he would be a pretty marmite leader and as a result UKIP would prey on the insecurities of certain groups.

I think you will find that people don’t respond well to being patronised.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/poli...unna-says.html

“UKIP would prey on the insecurities of certain groups.”

I don’t understand what you mean by that? UKIP has plenty of minorities in the party have stood as candidates in both local elections and in the general election, some winning seats in the LE. Steven Woolfe is mixed race, there is speculation that he will put in a bid for leadership of UKIP.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 11, 2015

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.