Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pigster)
    In AS, you learnt the definition of a functional group...

2.1.1 (b) interpret, and use, the terms:
    functional group as a group of atoms responsible for the characteristic reactions of a compound

How does a methyl group give the compound its characteristic reactions? Especially one with an ester linkage and a (tertiary) alcohol? (never mind the fused rings)

P.S. sorry for dragging the conversation back to the OP.
    Maybe he wasn't taught the proper definition or just got confused? I remember my A level chemistry teacher was quite vague and got muddled on certain topics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EdmundWoodstock)
    I'm not being pernickety, spending most of your time doing chemistry is quite clearly different from spending a fraction of your time doing chemistry, what's pernickety about that? And what has "winning" got to do with anything, this isn't a competition, JMaydom is an Oxford chemistry graduate so obviously knows more chemistry than me...
    do u even chemistry m8?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 11, 2015

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.