The Student Room Group

How did everyone find the OCR B1 B2 B3 exam?

Scroll to see replies

what did you put for the question on how the scientists could make a conclusion without using the graph about the radiation leak from a nuclear power station
Original post by Kavinthan
what did you put for the question on how the scientists could make a conclusion without using the graph about the radiation leak from a nuclear power station

I said that they could analyse the DNA of butterflies close and further away from the Nuclear plant
I put something about comparing the radiation levels to the mutations level to see if there was an correlation
I wrote 800% as well, pretty sure that's right
Probably some of the easiest 6 marks questions in any OCR paper ever
Hope you all did well! Did my Biology 1, 2 & 3 last year along with Chemistry and Physics, higher. And managed to get a C :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
harder than a lot of past papers but not too bad. Messed up on percentage increase and on 2dp but other than that it was okay. Reckon i'll get mid 40's. Hopefully enough for an A* if not a high A.
Reply 47
[QUOTE="10000;55700233" lukewarm="lukewarm"]
Original post by spaceman11
Was that the 6 marker? I spoke about how one baby could be a female and the others are males (because of the SRY gene) - which I really hope is correct[/QUO
yup i wrote about the c baby being made from another sperm and egg
not sure

I wrote about it being a different sperm and egg and how that makes them genetically different because of the various different combinations of alleles that come from the parents :s-smilie:
Original post by CornwallFlyer
I put something about comparing the radiation levels to the mutations level to see if there was an correlation

yeah i put to measure the intensity of the radiation at various distances from the station and to investigate on other insects like flies and bees
Reply 49
Original post by Johnfoster99
I wrote 800% as well, pretty sure that's right

I wrote 700 % but everyone else did 800 :/ I thing I overcomplicated it by taking the value of February away from April to get the increase :frown:
Reply 50
Original post by Kadeem
For some reason I talked about excretion from animals

I wrote about excretion too and the death and decomposition of plants and animals forming ammonia which is converted into nitrates by nitrifying bacteria :confused:
I was really confident for this but just did okay. Made a few mistake. I'm going to make up for itmin the B4b5b6 and B7 exam.

For the question who do you agree with? Was it the boy because of genes passed to off spring.
Original post by Echo98
I wrote 700 % but everyone else did 800 :/ I thing I overcomplicated it by taking the value of February away from April to get the increase :frown:

no don't worry you are right. it says percentage 'increase' so its just the increased amount's percentage that we need. so it's:
160-20=140
140/20=7
7*100=700%
WE ARE RIGHT NOTHING ELSE IS RIGHT FOR THIS QUESTION
Original post by TheLongGame
I was really confident for this but just did okay. Made a few mistake. I'm going to make up for itmin the B4b5b6 and B7 exam.

For the question who do you agree with? Was it the boy because of genes passed to off spring.

i put the boy as well. it might be wrong. dunno
Reply 54
Original post by Kavinthan
no don't worry you are right. it says percentage 'increase' so its just the increased amount's percentage that we need. so it's:
160-20=140
140/20=7
7*100=700%
WE ARE RIGHT NOTHING ELSE IS RIGHT FOR THIS QUESTION

I couldn't find anyone else that put 700% and I just thought I was being stupid :biggrin: it's quite reassuring that you got the same!

that's what I got
Reply 56

I put boy. One of my friends put the girl but I see it as if you got cancer on your arm due to exposure to ionising radiation, your child isn't going to get it too so for it to be passed on the damage would have to be done to the sex cells :smile:
What on earth was that genes question about drugs in the body? Enzymes? Conversion? It stumped me completely
For the concerns about testing the embryo I put
It could cause a miscarriage
It could harm the baby in the womb for example an infection
You would have to decide if you should abort it if it had a disease

Should I get 3 marks for this or is the miscarriage the same as harming the baby in the womb
Also is the abortion one even a concern?
Reply 59
Original post by h8skoooooool
What on earth was that genes question about drugs in the body? Enzymes? Conversion? It stumped me completely

I talked about how genes code functional proteins (so enzymes), and the amount of enzymes they code would differ from person to person, reducing or increasing the impact of a drug on someone.

Original post by Echo98
I couldn't find anyone else that put 700% and I just thought I was being stupid :biggrin: it's quite reassuring that you got the same!

I got this too. Percentage increase by 100% is doubling it, so by that logic, it has to be 700%.
Original post by merlinthecat123
For the concerns about testing the embryo I putIt could cause a miscarriageIt could harm the baby in the womb for example an infectionYou would have to decide if you should abort it if it had a diseaseShould I get 3 marks for this or is the miscarriage the same as harming the baby in the wombAlso is the abortion one even a concern?

Not entirely sure, but I mentioned the first and the third points, but also said that if there was a false positive, the fetus would be terminated despite not actually having a disorder.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply