Turn on thread page Beta

Borderline Personality Disorder? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Man.bear.pig)
    It doesn't matter if it's relevant to OP. I was responding to you saying that 17 yr olds don't get diagnosed. I pointed out that they do, but the ones who do have chronically shown pathological behaviour/symptoms of disorders, or were evaluated upon being housed as a youth offender. Whether it relates to OP or not is irrelevant in itself. Teenagers get diagnosed and it's not nuts; it's critical to do so. You might take issue with it but it happens.

Your sentimentality towards teenagers won't prevent the practice from being done.

I am only looking at a subgroup of individuals, as I was only pointing out that certain teenagers (thus...teenagers nonetheless) can and do get diagnosed all the time. I don't know why you and the other guy are discounting juvenile offenders as human beings. Whether they're criminals or not, they're still functioning as people. So the dogma that teenagers do not get diagnosed or treated for personality disorders is just inaccurate. As I've just provided an example, and there are even people in the thread who say they have PDs and were diagnosed as teenagers.
    I didn't say they don't get diagnosed, I did and still do say that I don't think it's a good idea for them to get diagnosed. For all the reasons I've stated in this thread that I can't be arsed to repeat. You appear to be arguing against something that nobody's actually said. :nah:

Anyway as I hinted, this really isn't relevant to OP. Which does matter when this is a thread created by them asking for help and advice. So if you want to start your own thread then be my guest, but I don't think I'll be derailing this thread any further.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Twinpeaks)
    We aren't discounting them as human beings. I'm just saying that you're argument against a person saying a diagnosis of BPD at a young age is rare might not be accurate because you are only considering that subgroup of individuals.

Yeah, and even those who have got a diagnosis say it is rare, with one saying she is the youngest in her area to have a diagnosis.
    That person I was disagreeing with didn't say rare. They said it doesn't happen. That it's not meant to happen. As a "rule." In "general." And it's false.

And it's not rare, statistically.
    Think about how many young people commit crimes even the pettiest of things like stealing a packet of crisps a few times or a fight at school a few times.
    They are the types part of this category I was bringing up. And they typically are put in the predicament where they have to be assessed and will probably end up diagnosed. I can't tell you how many people I've known since primary school (and I've moved around a lot to different areas) who have ADHD, on Prozac, are bipolar and had to step out to take their meds; OCD, HPD (histrionic), ASPD (antisocial personality disorder), who are manic depressive...

the list goes on.

The person who I was disputing against seems to have no facts, just going off empathy that it shouldn't be done because of the "stigmas." Ok but..it shouldn't be dogmatised as a "rule" that it doesn't happen just because that fellow disagrees with it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by superwolf)
    I didn't say they don't get diagnosed, I did and still do say that I don't think it's a good idea for them to get diagnosed. For all the reasons I've stated in this thread that I can't be arsed to repeat. You appear to be arguing against something that nobody's actually said. :nah:

Anyway as I hinted, this really isn't relevant to OP. Which does matter when this is a thread created by them asking for help and advice. So if you want to start your own thread then be my guest, but I don't think I'll be derailing this thread any further.
    No one's derailing. I disagreed with an ignorant statement you made, which alluded to the questionable level of legitimacy in the OP. So it does relate. I'm essentially defending that the OP could have a PD despite their age.

You said teenagers as a rule do not get diagnosed. That is not true in the slightest. You simply disagree with the practice for albeit valid reasons. I'm over it myself as I never saw your reason to respond back because it was proven that you're inaccurate.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    I blame myself for this thread derailing. I was the original person to reply to it this morning after it was silent for a week. :getmecoat:

ReputationRep:
    moving city will greatly help BPD

you move away from all the triggers, and can start afresh

(Original post by democracyforum)
    moving city will greatly help BPD

you move away from all the triggers, and can start afresh
    This is amazing for me to hear. I don't understand why my psychotherapist thinks it's a bad idea for me to move far away for university.
    Well I mean I understand but I think her fears are unfounded

ReputationRep:
    BPD was created by your environment

Do you think you would have BPD if you lived on a desert island in the caribbean ?

think about it

However, it really does just depend, it's a complex issue.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 28, 2015

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.