The Student Room Group

OCR S2 (non-mei)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 000alex
What are the exact things I need to look for in a question to see if I have to use the CLT or not? I really don't get it >.<

If they give you a distribution of the mean and n is large then you should probably use CLT

Edit: or above
How's everyone feeling for tomorrow? I think I've finally cracked S2!
Original post by rich1334
How's everyone feeling for tomorrow? I think I've finally cracked S2!

I feel like I'm waaay too relaxed for this exam :/ No idea why :tongue: Good luck on S2 tomorrow as well! :smile:
Original post by lllllllllll
I feel like I'm waaay too relaxed for this exam :/ No idea why :tongue: Good luck on S2 tomorrow as well! :smile:

Same, I feel like I'm going to be complacent and then be hit by some awful question in the exam :tongue: Good luck to you too!
Reply 44
That's was horrible. Couldn't do question 4 for gods sake.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I may have gotten question 8(II) wrong :frown: I know it was a small number but were we meant to work out P(Type-II) using using the significance level or critical value?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sam596
That's was horrible. Couldn't do question 4 for gods sake.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Was that the one about Type-1/2 yprobabilities?

Edit: just realised it is. Dw I don't think a lot of people got that

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
I know I've screwed up question 8(ii) but *touchwood* the rest went okay.
Reply 48
Question 4 was two binomial approx, one poisson one normal right? iirc it was a normally distributed function so type 1 error probability is the significance level and type 2 was given, then you modelled it as a binomial function (it either has an error or doesnt) and do the standard for approximating

that was a cute context from ocr on question 2 - dead bunnies along a road?

also is anyone feeling confident in their 8ii answer? im not sure mine is right but it was the only thing i could think of (I'll type it up once im not on mobile)
Original post by ms8061
Question 4 was two binomial approx, one poisson one normal right? iirc it was a normally distributed function so type 1 error probability is the significance level and type 2 was given, then you modelled it as a binomial function (it either has an error or doesnt) and do the standard for approximating

also is anyone feeling confident in their 8ii answer? im not sure mine is right but it was the only thing i could think of (I'll type it up once im not on mobile)

I got poisson and then normal approximations for Q4 too.

Very last question I did

(1/3*P(X<8|p=0.5) + 1/3*P(X<8|p=0.7) )* 4 and got 0.931 or something like that
LIKE WHAT WAS UP WITH THAT EXAM!!!
Question 4, couldnt even attempt!!!
I felt pretty good about all my answers, ill post as many as i can remember.

a=6 then a=1.5 for cont dist qn

Mean = 146, S.D=2 for normal qn

Very last qn was something like:
1/3(0.6 + 0.03) <-- i really cant remember
So P(type 2 error) = 0.23 ish

So P(X at least 1 out of 4) = 1 - P(X=0) = 1- (1-0.23)^4
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ms8061

Original post by rich1334
I got poisson and then normal approximations for Q4 too.

Very last question I did

(1/3*P(X<8|p=0.5) + 1/3*P(X<8|p=0.7) )* 4 and got 0.931 or something like that

Yup, I got poisson and normal distributions too.

I reckon I've got 2 marks for 8(ii) as I worked out the P(Type II) at 0.5 and 0.7 but what I've done after that was just clutching at straws. My friend made it a binomial distribution?
I'm pretty sure my method is partially wrong, could very much be a binomial

Original post by Molly_xox

I reckon I've got 2 marks for 8(ii) as I worked out the P(Type II) at 0.5 and 0.7 but what I've done after that was just clutching at straws. My friend made it a binomial distribution?
Reply 54
Thank god I'm not the only one who found Q4 impossible.

Posted from TSR Mobile

once you found P(type 2 error) about 0.23 i think . you had to find the probability of getting at least 1 out of 4 tests. so its a binomial B(4 , 0.23)
Reply 56
Did question 1 ask for standard deviation or variance? Got sigma = 2 but don't wanna lose a cheap mark for not stating variance =4...
Yeah that looks good. I stupidly multiplied my P(Type II) by 4 instead of treating it like binomial. Oh well, probably got )2/3 marks for it

Original post by tokopoko
I felt pretty good about all my answers, ill post as many as i can remember.

a=6 then a=1.5 for cont dist qn

Mean = 146, Var =4 for normal qn

Very last qn was something like:
1/3(0.6 + 0.03) <-- i really cant remember
So P(type 2 error) = 0.23 ish

So P(X at least 1 out of 4) = 1 - P(X=0) = 1- (1-0.23)^4
Original post by Tomh97
Did question 1 ask for standard deviation or variance? Got sigma = 2 but don't wanna lose a cheap mark for not stating variance =4...

I thought it asked for standard deviation too!
I thought it asked for standard deviation too!

It asked for u and sigma

Quick Reply