Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    ^^^^ You don't get marks for evaluating the provenance in the 40 mark questions (the nature, origin and purpose). Cross reference and you may want to mention the audience but do not waste your time evaluating the provenance!

ReputationRep:
    I have my History Option A (Crown & Authority) exam on the 20th May and well the feedback I get from my teacher consistently points to limited evaluation of the sources and cross-referencing. I was hoping someone could answer how would you:

A) Identify weaknesses & strengths in sources for evaluation
    B) How do you frame the debate within the introductory paragraph with quotes from all sources.

I'm specifically referring to the 20 Mark source-based question as this is where I can't use own knowledge and as a result struggle to provide depth in my reading of the sources.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I hope its on Gandhi!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Marshall)
    Also for those studying British History - 1945-2000s, what do you predict will come in th papers? It could be anything.

Checking the 2014 paper, the Iraq Dossier and The Beatles seem to be ok for Part B.
    I think it's gonna be about Heath, I'm not sure why.
    I think it's gonna be an easy paper this year. Last years one was good for forty markers, not the twenty markers.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    How do you include the origin when writing you're answer?

So for instance, a source is written by a labour cabinet member, would you say it's bias if the question is 'do the sources agree that Jim Callaghan (a conservative) was a good pm?'

Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Anyone doing Poverty and Public Health?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Michael_student)
    I find some parts interesting, but all the BOP crises and inflation, unemployment rates we need to learn isn't fun.
    Totally agreed. The stats to remember are just crazy..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smithh98)
    I'm doing this as well, I am dreading the exam though. What techniques do you use to revise?
    So am i,
    When i chose the topic i expected something exiting but i was disappointed. However, there are some bits that are not so bad, for revising i am just reading everything and trying to memorise all the acts because there is just so many of them. I tend to focus on major issues like Divorce, "Great Matter" , Cromwell etc. I think we will get a question on the late period / dissolution of the monasteries / because it has not come up for quite some time.
    I practice questions and especially the 20 marks because i always tend to put more knowledge than sources and that brings me down.
    How are you revising?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    i'm doing the british politics history from 1945-90, what are the grade boundaries in order to get an A

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jabire3)
    ^^^^ You don't get marks for evaluating the provenance in the 40 mark questions (the nature, origin and purpose). Cross reference and you may want to mention the audience but do not waste your time evaluating the provenance!
    Hey,

In a 40 marker there is always a primary or principle source. In order to get top marks for the sources criteria (Out of 16) YOU MUST weight up the usefulness of the primary source's provenance and how it is directly
    Correlated to the question.

Regards.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    does anyone have any notes on ww1? from the Conflict and Change, experience of warfare paper plz??

ReputationRep:
    Anyone have an overall structure/layout for question A and B? Also maybe roughly how many pages would be appropriate for each question, obviously it's not about quantity.

For question A: Cross reference the sources and how they compare to each other (similarities/differences). Comment on the origin of the source and how that might affect their validity to be used to support the statement. Conclude giving an overall answer, anything I'm missing?

Anyone doing Women's suffrage?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AJC1997)
    Anyone have an overall structure/layout for question A and B? Also maybe roughly how many pages would be appropriate for each question, obviously it's not about quantity.

For question A: Cross reference the sources and how they compare to each other (similarities/differences). Comment on the origin of the source and how that might affect their validity to be used to support the statement. Conclude giving an overall answer, anything I'm missing?

Anyone doing Women's suffrage?
    I've been told a really basic structure

a style
    para 1 sources agree with question factor
    para 2 sources disagree with question factor
    para 3 conclusion
    (with provenance done for each source, dotted throughout the first 2 paragraphs)

b style
    para 1 sources agree, support with factual knowledge
    para 2 sources disagree, support with factual knowledge
    para 3 conclusion
    (NO PROVENANCE)
    (also make sure it is 'source led' even if it feels tedious)

I know it looks overly simplistic and the paragraphs extremely long, but we've been told all year to do it, so hope it works!
    I do about 2/2.5 pages a style and 3.5/4 pages b (on normal paper)

ReputationRep:
    Anyone doing the suffrage question?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Aqsxo)
    Anyone doing the suffrage question?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yep! I'm doing the Changing Role of Women's Question. How are you finding it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gunnarsunn)
    Yep! I'm doing the Changing Role of Women's Question. How are you finding it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's quite difficult I think wbu? How are you revising for it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Aqsxo)
    It's quite difficult I think wbu? How are you revising for it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    In terms of content it's much easier than Unit 1. Although there is a lot of pressure in terms of structuring an answer, due to the varying nature of sources.

In terms of revision I made notes using the source textbook and memorised key individuals and so on and so forth. I also printed off past papers and annotated the sources and attributions for A and B questions.

I do hope it is an easier exam this year considering its the last. But seeing from what they did with the Unit 1 question I doubt it will be easy.

Regards

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cearataylor)
    i'm doing the british politics history from 1945-90, what are the grade boundaries in order to get an A
    Same
    You need to get 45/60
    But the thing is, in did really bad in unit 1 so I have to really try hard for this unit to get an overall A

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ElizabethThacker)
    I am! How are you feeling about it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ElizabethThacker)
    I am! Do you have any further information/resources on obstacles to public health legislation perhaps? Thanks!

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.