The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

Let's talk! Ask a current student anything about the University of Birmingham :)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TomGidders
Not a problem Shane! Well none of them are currently on the MSci but one of them is trying to convert to it, unfortunately for you that is obviously a different path and requires 65% over the first 2 years. With regards to admissions stuff changes every year, it depends on if courses are over or under subscribed. If you don't meet the entry grades obviously the university cannot guarantee you a place. When it comes to it there are some people that over-achieve the grades and these obviously get first priority. However by the time it comes to results day if you meet the offer they make you you have the place. It's quite a complex system...

Basically you apply. Then depending on how many applications they receive they send out offers with certain grades on (this is the AAB you've heard, that is the normal offer made). If you make those grades you should have a place unless there is a specific reason not to

Hope that helps!

It really does. It's also good to know that 65% thing. The more and more I think about it I'll probably apply to three curses at Birmingham, so even if i dont get on the Msc I can still convert though.
One thing I know is that Uni is a lot harder than school when it comes to scores; what actually is 65%? A first? a 2:1?
And a crucial thing; if they convert to the masters, will they get an extension on their student loan?
Thanks
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Original post by Shane Webb
It really does. It's also good to know that 65% thing. The more and more I think about it I'll probably apply to three curses at Birmingham, so even if i dont get on the Msc I can still convert though.
One thing I know is that Uni is a lot harder than school when it comes to scores; what actually is 65%? A first? a 2:1?
And a crucial thing; if they convert to the masters, will they get an extension on their student loan?
Thanks

Yes, under current rules you will receive the loan and I am certainly not aware of Government plans to change this (it's very unlikely they will for science subjects). So most courses operate on these boundaries - 70+ = First, 60+ = 2.1, 50+ = 2.2 and 40+ is a pass or sometimes called a third. The boundaries are different to school obviously, the workload is also greater but the big change is really the swap to greater independent learning. However there is plenty of support for the transition
Yes, under current rules you will receive the loan and I am certainly not aware of Government plans to change this (it's very unlikely they will for science subjects). So most courses operate on these boundaries - 70+ = First, 60+ = 2.1, 50+ = 2.2 and 40+ is a pass or sometimes called a third. The boundaries are different to school obviously, the workload is also greater but the big change is really the swap to greater independent learning. However there is plenty of support for the transition

I am probably going to email Birmingham about this, but thanks for telling me that. I want to do the msc because I am under the impression that if you want to do an msc after your degree you won't get a student loan for it, am I correct?
Reply 43
Anyone got any info on what the maths course is like or uni life in general? The website is very brief on maths. What is it like for a member of the LGBT community? Also the social life?

In year 12 currently if that makes a difference :smile:
I am probably going to email Birmingham about this, but thanks for telling me that. I want to do the msc because I am under the impression that if you want to do an msc after your degree you won't get a student loan for it, am I correct?

Hi Shane,

I was under the impression there was funding for science subject masters, however best to double check
Original post by Jupers
Anyone got any info on what the maths course is like or uni life in general? The website is very brief on maths. What is it like for a member of the LGBT community? Also the social life?

In year 12 currently if that makes a difference :smile:

Hi :-)

So Birmingham is obviously Britain's second city and the social life is great. It really doesn't matter what you're into socially because there is so much to do, whether you want warehouse parties, theatres, cocktail bars or anything really. The social life is also helped by our Guild of Student, that manages 235 student-run societies! So for example I'm on the student radio station BURN FM (burnfm.com). But for example there is also an LGBTQ society that is very active and ever growing

Hope that helps :-)
Hi Shane,

I was under the impression there was funding for science subject masters, however best to double check

I will probably check it out with them. But because I'm applying for the Msc anyway, I think it won't really matter till further down the line.
Another thing, is it true there aren't many NI students at Birmingham? I think this because my school is a grammar school in which pretty much everyone goes to university, yet last year only one person went to Birmingham. This year, I'm pretty sure only my friend and I are applying. I asked a few teachers in my school about it and they said there would be less NI students at Birmingham compared to Liverpool, Newcastle, Scotland and Manchester.
I'd say it's quite likely I'd be the only Northern Irish student on the Geology course because it's a small subject and only 2 schools in all of NI offer a Geology A level.
I will probably check it out with them. But because I'm applying for the Msc anyway, I think it won't really matter till further down the line.
Another thing, is it true there aren't many NI students at Birmingham? I think this because my school is a grammar school in which pretty much everyone goes to university, yet last year only one person went to Birmingham. This year, I'm pretty sure only my friend and I are applying. I asked a few teachers in my school about it and they said there would be less NI students at Birmingham compared to Liverpool, Newcastle, Scotland and Manchester.
I'd say it's quite likely I'd be the only Northern Irish student on the Geology course because it's a small subject and only 2 schools in all of NI offer a Geology A level.

Well the further from NI you go the less NI students there will be. At Birmingham there are people from all over the world, we've got 150+ nationalities represented so you shouldn't worry about sticking out! Geology is a small course and as you say so few in NI do geology it is likely (but not certain) you'll be the only NI geologist
Original post by Eleanor_94
Hello ThatIzziGirl, aw thank you very much! Don't worry I felt exactly the same, I had no idea what I could write about. The key is to relate what you've done to studying psychology at university. Work experience for psychology is tricky because confidentiality is a big factor which will limit what you can do. Work experience that I put on my personal statement included working in a school with a special educational needs department, so I worked with children with autism spectrum disorder and also children with behavioural difficulties. I also interviewed an educational psychologist and a mental health nurse. For my EPQ I looked at PTSD and for that I managed to interview a psychiatrist and talk about his experiences with treatin PTSD in war veterans. I also went on a psychology weekend at Nottingham Univeristy where I had lots of lectures on different aspects of psychology. One of the lecturers was a Behavioural Investigative Advisor which there are only 5 of in the UK. There job is in the field of Forensic psychology and they are highly respected individuals. I managed to talk to him at the end of the lecture and organised a phone interview with him which was really useful. I also entered a competition put on by Cambridge which I didn't win haha but it meant I did lots of reading on the topic and I talked about that in my personal statement too. So as you can see it's not just work experience it's also things you can relate to studying psychology. Some of my friends volunteered in a hospital in a dementia care ward which is also fantastic experience. I hope this has given you a few ideas. If I can help you with anything else, please don't hesitate to ask :biggrin: Eleanor :smile:

Thank you - that's really helpful!! :smile:
Reply 49
In the university accommodation are all the bills completely covered in the rent? I read that in Victoria Hall the electricity bill is only covered by the rent up to a certain limit and if you exceed this limit you have to pay for the rest of it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 50
Original post by goodwinning
In the university accommodation are all the bills completely covered in the rent? I read that in Victoria Hall the electricity bill is only covered by the rent up to a certain limit and if you exceed this limit you have to pay for the rest of it.Hello Goodwinning, as far as I know on the vale the bills are completely covered by the rent so you don't have to worry about the heating or anything. I'm not 100% if it's the same for Victoria Halls. I'd recommend just giving them a call to check. If you have anymore questions about the University of Birmimgham please don't hesitate to ask me Eleanor Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 51
Hello everyone,

I am a second year Psychology student at the University of Birmingham and I am here to answer all your questions about Birmingham! If you have questions about Accommodation, Student Life, Courses, Entry Requirements, basically anything to do with the Birmingham, I'm here to help! :biggrin: I will do my best to answer all your questions/concerns and if I don't know the answer I will enquire about it for you :smile:

ASK AWAY! :biggrin:

Eleanor

Hey! How late is your latest seminar/lecture? If I go to Birmingham in 2016 I'll be getting a train there and back from home and I was wondering how late a train I'll have to get. Thank you! x
Reply 52
Original post by AHC25
Hey! How late is your latest seminar/lecture? If I go to Birmingham in 2016 I'll be getting a train there and back from home and I was wondering how late a train I'll have to get. Thank you! x

Hello ACH25, the timetables can change every year but from my own experience the latest a lecture may finish is around 5. But most of my lectures were done by about 3pm. Hope this helps :biggrin: Eleanor :biggrin:
Hello :smile:
What happens in Freshers week? Thanks
Original post by HuggleyDuck

People get laid, stoned and drunk. Haha
Reply 55
Original post by HuggleyDuck

Hello HuggleyDuck, freshers week is otherwise known as welcome week and
it's all about settling into university life. There will be lots of events going on such as societies fair, jobs fair, sports fair and the freshers fair. Each halls has a residents association which is a group of people that organise events amongst many other things. They put on daytime and night time activities. For example in my freshers week there were free trips to restaurants and the sea life centre. As well as this the Guild of Students which is Birminghams student union put on freshers events throughout the week which are predominantly nighttime activities. These include fancy dress events, a freshers ball and many other things. So as you can see there are loads of things going on in freshers week which you can get involved in :smile:. I hope this helps and if you have any other questions please don't hesitate to contact me :smile: Eleanor :smile:
Hello HuggleyDuck, freshers week is otherwise known as welcome week and
it's all about settling into university life. There will be lots of events going on such as societies fair, jobs fair, sports fair and the freshers fair. Each halls has a residents association which is a group of people that organise events amongst many other things. They put on daytime and night time activities. For example in my freshers week there were free trips to restaurants and the sea life centre. As well as this the Guild of Students which is Birminghams student union put on freshers events throughout the week which are predominantly nighttime activities. These include fancy dress events, a freshers ball and many other things. So as you can see there are loads of things going on in freshers week which you can get involved in :smile:. I hope this helps and if you have any other questions please don't hesitate to contact me :smile: Eleanor :smile:

Thanks, that sounds great!
Reply 57
Hey, thanks for making this thread :smile:
I know that Birmingham is a 'campus university,' but this term sort of means different things according to different universities. Is Birmingham like a bubble, isolated from non-student life? How long does it take to walk into the city centre? (I come from a bustling city so I couldn't really handle a campus out in the middle of nowhere!!)
Thanks! :biggrin:
Reply 58
Original post by lucyx
Hey, thanks for making this thread :smile:
I know that Birmingham is a 'campus university,' but this term sort of means different things according to different universities. Is Birmingham like a bubble, isolated from non-student life? How long does it take to walk into the city centre? (I come from a bustling city so I couldn't really handle a campus out in the middle of nowhere!!)
Thanks! :biggrin:

Hello Lucyx, you're right campus university does mean different things at different universities. At Birmingham it's really emphasising the idea of a community where everything you want is close by. For example we have a hairdressers, opticians, IT shop and lots of banks on campus. It also means that all the accommodation is a really good distance away and you don't have to catch a bus or a train to get into Uni. The university is only a 7 minute train journey away from the centre of town so it's really not far at all. In my opinion it's the perfect distance and is definitely not isolated from non-student life. The transport links at the university are really good and you can get around the city of Birmingham really easily! I hope this helps and if you have any further questions please don't hesitate to ask me :smile: Eleanor :biggrin:
What's the policy on having people come and visit and stay the night? I have friends going to unis in the Midlands and the North, but none close enough who could just come for the day. Would I be able to let them stay the night?

Quick Reply

Latest