Turn on thread page Beta

Do complements on looks lose their effect? Am I right to avoid discussing looks watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Swaany)
    i dont understand this obsession with feet
    No idea man :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by darkred)
    PLEASE, just one more time
    Alright, we can foot eachother.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rhadawey)
    It actually depends on the girl, some girls find the compliments awkward and annoying and others like the attention and admiration.

Personally, I steer clear as soon as a guy starts giving a lot of compliments. I find them unnecessary (not to mention awkward because I'm just like "hehe ok", if I look good I'll know that I look good, I don't need to be told (I'm really not vain, I promise lol) but that might just be because I'm a Hijabi...
    I feel awkward too receiving compliments. I don't know how to reply to them especially from guys because I rarely receive them from guys (mostly female friends)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rhiannonsweeney)
    I feel awkward too receiving compliments. I don't know how to reply to them especially from guys because I rarely receive them from guys (mostly female friends)
    I find that hard to believe if you're either one of those girls in your avatar! You seem very pretty, I would have assumed you got compliments all the time lol. I can definitely understand where you come from.

I think it would be more awkward for you because if a guy compliments you it could indicate that he's interested and wants more which I'm guessing is flattering. However for a Muslim girl wearing a headscarf, they know that it's not going to go any further than a thank you for the compliment so it's not as awkward.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rhadawey)
    I find that hard to believe if you're either one of those girls in your avatar! You seem very pretty, I would have assumed you got compliments all the time lol. I can definitely understand where you come from.

I think it would be more awkward for you because if a guy compliments you it could indicate that he's interested and wants more which I'm guessing is flattering. However for a Muslim girl wearing a headscarf, they know that it's not going to go any further than a thank you for the compliment so it's not as awkward.
    To be honest, I actually don't only my close friends. I'm not complaining because although they give you self boost, I just never know which to reply other than just a thank you.

I totally understand what you mean about only further it will be is a thank you because I too have a lot of self respect for myself. Not suggesting every boy who compliments is into the girl but it's difficult for me to trust people *.*

1 rep from me if I have any left

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rhiannonsweeney)
    To be honest, I actually don't only my close friends. I'm not complaining because although they give you self boost, I just never know which to reply other than just a thank you.

I totally understand what you mean about only further it will be is a thank you because I too have a lot of self respect for myself. Not suggesting every boy who compliments is into the girl but it's difficult for me to trust people *.*

1 rep from me if I have any left
    I don't think there is any other reply tbh LOOL

Ahh nice so you're like a Hijabi minus the Hijab haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Need2Study4Exam)
    dont know what the threads about, but a lot of girls nowadays have false inflated egos because a lot of guys compliment them

your average 5/10 thinks she's a 9/10
    Well seeing as opinions on looks are subjective, maybe people are genuinely attracted to that perceived 5/10? Just a thought...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Retired_Messiah)
    Well seeing as opinions on looks are subjective, maybe people are genuinely attracted to that perceived 5/10? Just a thought...
    lol get out of here

ReputationRep:
    I guess, I don't compliment people on their appearance unless they ask me what I think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Need2Study4Exam)
    lol get out of here
    From my experience my 6/10s are often 8/10s in the eyes of my close friends, so going by the same gap maybe your 5/10 is seen by others as a solid 7/10?

Of course if you don't find her attractive then there's no need to compliment her, call her ugly if you really want it ain't my business, but don't go stating your rates out of 10 as hard facts, it's all opinion.

ReputationRep:
    When I compliment a girl, I try to say something she hasn't heard before.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cake_lover)
    So I know plenty of girls that get bombarded with compliments about their looks etc. Doesn't it get boring after a while? Do you think "oh no, not again" etc

I find I'm so reluctant to compliment a girl on her looks. I just feel I'd some off like another desperate guy if I do so, also that I'm only talking to her for superficial reasons. Only people close to me know it's hard to get a compliment out of me, so when I do make a very mild compliment, they appreciate it like crazy.
    do you think kylie jennee really gives a **** if you compliment her lol

she knows where she stands

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Stefan*)
    It does. It gets awkward and tiresome after some time. Find something more original :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
    When skim reading, I thought it said "...threesome after that."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    Like what exactly?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    Like what?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes)
    Like what?
    (Original post by nadzworldz)
    Like what exactly?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I won't share my tips on a public forum. I may lose my comparative advantage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    Alright then...-_-

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    Oh okay then.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.