Turn on thread page Beta

Is David Cameron trying to fix an EU referendum? watch

• View Poll Results: Should EU immigrants be allowed to vote in an EU referendum
    Yes
    51.72%
    No
    48.28%

ReputationRep:
    The EU referendum results are already fixed in favour of remain. The EU elite is so corrupt and will not accept the UK leaving under any circumstances. It will do anything it takes including murder.

ReputationRep:
    They should be allowed to vote, all I have spoken to want to leave

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greenerthangreen)
    They should be allowed to vote, all I have spoken to want to leave
    A "private firm" has been appointed to count the votes on 23rd & 24th June 2016.

I have tried to find out the details of this company but so far I have not been able to.

Let me know if any has or does manage to find out the name of this private company.

ReputationRep:
    The only answer is yes. To an objective person spending more money than the campaign limits on propaganda fliers to every house in UK is trying to influence the vote.

ReputationRep:
    Should it be 'British people only'. Bahahahaha.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OpenUniW101Law)
    A "private firm" has been appointed to count the votes on 23rd & 24th June 2016.

I have tried to find out the details of this company but so far I have not been able to.

Let me know if any has or does manage to find out the name of this private company.
    You can't find anything about it because it's utter nonsense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Madeline_H95)
    The only answer is yes. To an objective person spending more money than the campaign limits on propaganda fliers to every house in UK is trying to influence the vote.
    The Government is not a campaign and is entitled to put forward its view.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    The Government is not a campaign and is entitled to put forward its view.
    The government shouldnt be using its position to outspend the leave campaign by using taxpayer's money before the rules on campaign spending fit in. Is an election where one side can more than double the spending of the other side by using a loophole in the rules, a loophole the other side cant use, a fair campaign?

I don't think so!

ReputationRep:
    The government shouldnt be using its position to outspend the leave campaign by using taxpayer's money before the rules on campaign spending fit in. Is an election where one side can more than double the spending of the other side by using a loophole in the rules, a loophole the other side cant use, a fair campaign?

I don't think so!
    I'm not sure if that's deliberately muddled or not. As you correctly observe, before the "short campaign", there are no spending limits. Anyone - absolutely anyone - can go around spending whatever they fancy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    I'm not sure if that's deliberately muddled or not. As you correctly observe, before the "short campaign", there are no spending limits. Anyone - absolutely anyone - can go around spending whatever they fancy.
    The remain side has an unlimited budget and doesn't even need donors - it uses our money. Thats unfair!

ReputationRep:
    Considering he's used taxpayers money to send out pro-eu leaflets and sent voting cards to non-British citizens of course he is.

It's a shame the Remain side are OK with this. I guess corruption and dodgy dealings are OK as long as it's for a cause you support.

ReputationRep:
    The remain side has an unlimited budget and doesn't even need donors - it uses our money. Thats unfair!
    Everyone has a limited budget - during the short campaign. When, notably, the government is prohibited from using public resources to advance its position.

Ahead of that, it's a free-for-all really. No-one has any advantage, it just happens to be who chooses to agree with you. What I think many Leave supporters are annoyed at is simply the volume of people who disagree with them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TaipeiGhost)
    Considering he's used taxpayers money to send out pro-eu leaflets and sent voting cards to non-British citizens of course he is.

It's a shame the Remain side are OK with this. I guess corruption and dodgy dealings are OK as long as it's for a cause you support.
    The Government has every right to put across its view and spend public money in that way. That's what governments, except in purdah periods, do every day.

As for sending voting cards to non-British citizens, that's got nothing to do with the Prime Minister at all. It's not only British citizens who are eligible to vote here, but Irish and Commonwealth citizens too - just like at a general election.

ReputationRep:
    In fairness the British people chose to elect a government that was not Euro-skeptic and had almost explicitly declared itself for In regardless of the renegotiation.

You want to Leave the EU that much.. then join Labour or the Tories and elect a euro-skeptic leader to be put to the country.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    In fairness the British people chose to elect a government that was not Euro-skeptic and had almost explicitly declared itself for In regardless of the renegotiation.

You want to Leave the EU that much.. then join Labour or the Tories and elect a euro-skeptic leader to be put to the country.
    If he used a campaign of wanting to use taxpayers funding to double the spending of the leave campaign and do it on an unlimited budget and tell people his renegotiation would be rubbish he wouldn't be elected. He was elected after lying to us.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    Everyone has a limited budget - during the short campaign. When, notably, the government is prohibited from using public resources to advance its position.

Ahead of that, it's a free-for-all really. No-one has any advantage, it just happens to be who chooses to agree with you. What I think many Leave supporters are annoyed at is simply the volume of people who disagree with them.
    It's hardly an even playing field when one side has no chance of raising money to match the public funds being used. It's rubbish to complain about the leave campaign not liking people disagreeing.

If this was a general election where the conservatives used public funds to outspend labour at an amount labour is never going to reach you would call the thing a fix. If youre a tory then if labour used public funds you would criticises labour. The eu referendum is no different.

ReputationRep:
    If he used a campaign of wanting to use taxpayers funding to double the spending of the leave campaign and do it on an unlimited budget and tell people his renegotiation would be rubbish he wouldn't be elected. He was elected after lying to us.
    Idealism is great but only when there's a good dose of realism to go on top of it. We all knew what was going to happen.

ReputationRep:
    Idealism is great but only when there's a good dose of realism to go on top of it. We all knew what was going to happen.
    I look forward to seeing you accept labour doubling the spending of the tories in a general election when labour are in power and decide to use your money to beat the tories.

ReputationRep:
    I look forward to seeing you accept labour doubling the spending of the tories in a general election when labour are in power and decide to use your money to beat the tories.
    I shan't be pleased but i'd accept it, yeah.

ReputationRep:
    I shan't be pleased but i'd accept it, yeah.
    You wouldn't, you'd be on here calling labour corrupt and demanding a change in the rules.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.