Turn on thread page Beta

Were you taught how to draw at school? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    Unfortunately I was not taught how to draw at primary school, although it was a hobby of mine at the time.

This is disappointing for two reasons. Drawing is part of art, and art is an important means of expression and part of our culture. And also, onto a slightly different type of drawing, technical drawing. Governments and employers are worried about an engineering skills shortage and how this might negatively impact our economic growth, yet technical drawing, which is the language of engineering, isn't taught...
    It is partly in Scotland, the Graphic Communications Standard Grade (now called some form of National qualification) and Higher do cover some aspects re technical drawing, both using software and freehand. My daughter took it up to the end of her fifth year and seemed to enjoy it, I think the ability in Scotland to take 8 subjects in fourth year and 5 in fifth year helps in allowing breadth; she took English, Maths, Physics, Geography and Graphic Communications to higher in fifth year.

It is not that difficult to learn the basics though it is a bit trickier becoming good- I started out doing a Bsc in Engineering and tech drawing (no prior knowledge) was covered in first year, albeit most of us were not that competent. I suspect the real intention was to teach us how to how to interpret/read rather than execute the drawings. It has actually proved useful as whilst I did not pursue a career in engineering I do spend some time looking at drawings/plans re buildings as part of my job as an accountant for a property company.

In addition my daughter, currently studying Geosciences at university, is considering doing an Msc in town planning next year- whilst reading drawings is not the key skill I expect reviewing housing plans, elevations etc will possibly be a component part of a career in planning and her years at school doing Graphic Communications may turn out to be useful in her future working life.

The catch about school education is that there is only a limited number of subjects that can be crammed into a year, everyone cannot study everything.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.