Turn on thread page Beta

Anybody else dreaming of living in £1million house in London? watch

ReputationRep:
    I personally would love to live in London when I'm older but would prefer a house in chelsea / belgravia than that apartment

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Mighty_Bush)
    If I had a million quid to spend on a flat or house, I wouldn't spend it on a tiny flat.
    That is fair enough - your money will go further outside London. But it's a bit of a 'pie in the sky' proposition. Most people who spend £1m on a place to live don't have the money lying around - they have to work to pay off a mortgage, and most people who have jobs good enough to afford a £1m mortgage will (a) work in London and (b) be under sufficient time pressure from their job that commuting from outside London isn't an attractive option.

A large proportion of people who commute from outside London do it out of necessity (financial constraints, plus possibly the need for space due to children), not out of simply wanting a larger place for its own sake.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DeadGirlsDance)
    Who wants to live up north though?
    It ain't grim up North.

Lovely countryside including the Lake District, North York Moors, the Pennines, Peak District, Yorkshire Dales and Forest of Bowland. Historic towns such as Lancaster, York, Kendal and Sedbergh. Vibrant cities in Leeds, Liverpool, Manchester and Newcastle. Friendly people who have no fuss chatting to strangers. Everything is pretty much cheaper, including significantly lower house prices. Although there are areas of economic deprivation, there are pockets of affluence such as Lytham St. Annes, North Yorkshire and Cheshire. The North is a really underrated place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by will2348)
    I'd rather live out further in the suburbs, be a quick journey away from London and use the money to buy a mansion with a games room, bar, cinema room, swimming pool and massive garden for parties as well as a large drive way for my sports cars - best of both worlds

I really don't know who in their right mind would spend that much on a flat in London. Why spend that on a flat to be 30 seconds away when you can purchase something 20 times the size with everything you can imagine about a 30-40 minutes train journey away.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You'd never get anything close to that for £1 million at a 30 minute train journey away from London.

My grandparents live in a suburb that sort of distance away where a large house (borderline as to whether you'd them mansions) are £2-3 million+ and have nothing that you've described in them except perhaps a swimming pool.

Seems like easy access to London comes at a very high price

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bloxorus)
    You'd never get anything close to that for £1 million at a 30 minute train journey away from London.

My grandparents live in a suburb that sort of distance away where a large house (borderline as to whether you'd them mansions) are £2-3 million+ and have nothing that you've described in them except perhaps a swimming pool.

Seems like easy access to London comes at a very high price
    You're correct but the price of the property in the link of OP is £3.3 million or £1 million per bedroom. I live 30-40 minute train away from London, and believe me, you can get almost everything you want for that price, haha.

Maybe it's just where I am but a few developers recently have started building super modern multi-million pound houses with the features I mentioned, some of them even have new remote access control (fancy controlling the blinds on holiday? Haha) maybe there is a lot of demand for it where I live, I don't know.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Id prefer cornwall, brighton or the isle of wight

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WillNegForReps)
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/new-homes...-33774594.html

I don't think about properties that much, but a view like that is god like
    £3m is an awful lot more than £1m.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maid Marian)
    No, just a pretty little house in yorkshire with ivy growing up the walls :love:
    With a shrine dedicated to fria chris in the garden?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Swanbow)
    It ain't grim up North.

Lovely countryside including the Lake District, North York Moors, the Pennines, Peak District, Yorkshire Dales and Forest of Bowland. Historic towns such as Lancaster, York, Kendal and Sedbergh. Vibrant cities in Leeds, Liverpool, Manchester and Newcastle. Friendly people who have no fuss chatting to strangers. Everything is pretty much cheaper, including significantly lower house prices. Although there are areas of economic deprivation, there are pockets of affluence such as Lytham St. Annes, North Yorkshire and Cheshire. The North is a really underrated place.
    Couldn't have said it better myself :five:

If you like outdoor sports and hobbies The North has The South well and truly beaten.

ReputationRep:
    Already am.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    £3m is an awful lot more than £1m.
    thanks for stating the obvious

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WillNegForReps)
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/new-homes...-33774594.html

I don't think about properties that much, but a view like that is god like
    3.3m for a flat with a view over crappy modernist buildings? Rofl the modern world is amusing.

(Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    With a shrine dedicated to fria chris in the garden?
    Oh yes, I'll have his face plastered to the shrine and perform a holy ritual of dancing around it naked pretending I'm a leprechaun every day at 8pm.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maid Marian)
    Oh yes, I'll have his face plastered to the shrine and perform a holy ritual of dancing around it naked pretending I'm a leprechaun every day at 8pm.
    :teeth:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whorace)
    3.3m for a flat with a view over crappy modernist buildings? Rofl the modern world is amusing.
    £3.3m is regarded as 'very affordable' in some parts of London. :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    £3.3m is regarded as 'very affordable' in some parts of London. :lol:
    Why do people buy this ****? So much more affordable housing in places that actually have nice views... y'know like of the sea or mountains, not some monstrous building that looks like it was designed by a 5 year old in a drawing competition.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't waste £1 million living in London.

Don't think much of the place, never have.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A5ko)
    I wouldn't waste £1 million living in London.

Don't think much of the place, never have.
    You've just dismissed the largest city in Britain:top:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by small_circles)
    You've just dismissed the largest city in Britain:top:
    Correct :hoppy:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whorace)
    Why do people buy this ****? So much more affordable housing in places that actually have nice views... y'know like of the sea or mountains, not some monstrous building that looks like it was designed by a 5 year old in a drawing competition.
    Where I live (Bethnal Green, towards Shoreditch), literally every piece of land bigger than a car is having something built on it, the majority of those things are big apartment towers with £2m+ apartments in them.

Basically the whole of London is transforming into a Dubai-style apartment complex for the rich, with many of the apartments empty as they were bought by international speculators and hedge funds for purely monetary gain purposes.

Meanwhile, the poor are more marginalised than ever and grow more numerous... Boris pretended to care when he was elected, but has concentrated on visiting property shows in places like China, to promote the sell-off of London, his interests in the City and Mayfair hedge funds and his campaign to replace Cameron with a proper Tory like him who is happy to say he only cares about the rich.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 24, 2015

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.