Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by P!ATD)
    I wholeheartedly agree with that, and it just so happens that York's law course is one that particularly stands out to me and I really think I could excel with their system. At the moment I'd say York is the ideal here, love the look of the campus also. Really hoping I could get an offer (unlikely but worth a shot)!
    You should get an offer because your potential (hate to use the term predicted since it is very misleading) would be A*AA with what you've said. What A levels do you do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AverageExcellence)
    You should get an offer because your potential (hate to use the term predicted since it is very misleading) would be A*AA with what you've said. What A levels do you do?
    I'd be tempted to agree, I think unis know that in general people screw up a little at AS more than at A2.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by P!ATD)
    English Literature, Politics and sociology. Dropped History. Also, I should mention I'm waiting on a remark, 2 marks away from an A.
    Good luck with your remark! Two marks is unlucky.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by P!ATD)
    English Literature, Politics and sociology. Dropped History. Also, I should mention I'm waiting on a remark, 2 marks away from an A.
    For Law History is certainly a bonus subject to have as it shows aptitude for the analytical skills you will need, ironically i was in the same boat as you and wanted to do law and picked history for that exact reason, but ended up loving it so much i picked it for my degree lol, i didn't do it for GCSE either.

Sociology is considered a weaker subject, but you have 1 strong, 1 alright and 1 weakish which should be fine. Out of interest why drop history if you are on getting an A potentially? ideally drop sociology but realistically drop the C

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by P!ATD)
    I got ABBC, and was wondering which universities I have a plausible chance of getting an offer from, for Law LLB.

Would such universities as Nottingham, Warwick and York be conceivable options, or am I an unlikely candidate?

All help greatly appreciated, thanks.
    I got abcc at AS and applied for the likes of Cardiff, Liverpool , Sheffield and royal holloway. As you did a bit better than I did, you could probably apply to some others such as York and Exeter, but a lot hinges on predicted grades I guess.

I'm now off to Sheffield to do law with French , even though I missed my offer by a grade

ReputationRep:
    I am hoping to study law at a Russell Group uni but I didn't do very well at AS (AACD). I'm dropping the D grade and I think I can get an A* in at least one of the A grade subjects. I wanted to apply to Liverpool, Exeter, (maybe Southampton) and Bristol since I have a guaranteed offer because I went on their summer school. Are these choices realistic? Which other uni's could I apply to with these grades? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amy A x)
    I am hoping to study law at a Russell Group uni but I didn't do very well at AS (AACD). I'm dropping the D grade and I think I can get an A* in at least one of the A grade subjects. I wanted to apply to Liverpool, Exeter, (maybe Southampton) and Bristol since I have a guaranteed offer because I went on their summer school. Are these choices realistic? Which other uni's could I apply to with these grades? Thanks
    I think your choices sounds pretty realistic to me (but that also depends on retakes).
    I know that Southampton's standard offer is AAA and Exeter sometimes offers AAB. If you think you can make it, go for it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by P!ATD)
    I got ABBC, and was wondering which universities I have a plausible chance of getting an offer from, for Law LLB.

Would such universities as Nottingham, Warwick and York be conceivable options, or am I an unlikely candidate?

All help greatly appreciated, thanks.
    Wow I'm so glad I found this thread, I got the exact same grades as you and I to was hoping to study law. (I'm still going to get my history {c} remarked but right now i have to go on the basis of these grades. After my results I decided to look realistically at my options and decided law was just too competitive especially when there will be thousands of candidates applying to Russell groups who will have achieved significantly higher at AS, and even though I could probably get into an okay uni if you wanted to go into he legal profession, unfortunately law firms are just as concerned with if not more concerned with what uni you went to as much as what course if not more, my dad made the point to me, that its better to do a lesser course at a top university and do a conversion to law, than doing law at a mediocre university in terms of career prospectus, because at the end of the day that's what uni is for. Luckily for me I already had another course which I will be happy to do at a top university and although I was reluctant at first and refused to look at my options practically I eventually decided to apply for philosophy at LSE, Newcastle, Exeter, Birmingham and providing my C changes to at least a B, I will apply for Oxford to do philosophy and theology. I was gutted at first and so disappointed in myself as it has been my dream to study law at Oxford for so long and I worked so hard, but I had to change that. I still want to do law and I am planning on pursuing my post graduate degree in the U.S. In this case I think a philosophy degree from Oxford will get me a lot further than a law degree form Leeds (I'm in no way saying that they are you only options because there are so many other factors when applying e.g LNATS and there are cases where you could get it). I actually think it slightly worked out for the best because although I had to completely start again I'm looking forward to hopefully doing a philosophy degree it's something I've always been interested in.

I apologise as this was very long and unstructured but what I'm trying to say is yes you can still apply for law at a top university and if you do amazing in the LNATS and every other part of your application is amazing then you still have a really good chance (particularly if you have high predicted grades) but it also might be a good time to start looking at alternate degrees or a combined degree. For example LSE has a law and anthropology degree with entry requirements of AAB.

I hope this helps and please understand I was trying to help, as I know exactly how you feel especially if like me you were predicted a lot higher or thought you did a lot better. Just remember doing law at university is not the only path into law and most of the top lawyers today didn't actually study law at university, but the one thing they all have in common is they all went to top university's.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 31, 2015

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.