Turn on thread page Beta

White people dont know the struggle of regular beatings. watch

ReputationRep:
    It is a cultural thing really. You will find most white working class children have also been smacked at some point in their lives too. I find the 'enlightened' view that smacking is morally wrong and reflects badly on the parent rather suspect. There is little empirical evidence to support this view. There is evidence for positive and negative effects of corporal punishment whilst many people who hold the enlightened view simply reject positive evidence and seriously overestimate the cognitive abilities of children.

In discussions like these you also run the risk of smacking becoming a strawman. People imagine parents physically beating children down when there is not likely to be the case at all. Also child neglect is far more damaging developmentally than 'abuse' so it is not really a black and white issue of choosing to smack or not. In addition, the long-term correlations to things like poor mental health and offending are really only with extreme cases of child abuse and there are multiple factors which contribute towards this (researchers are obviously going to stress that the variable they deal with contributes unique influence to the end result).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scriberg)
    i thought this was relevant but couldnt think of a caption

WTFFFF...

Im full of rage watching that...real or movie..

That kid is dead meat in my hood but that mum deserves that slap for arguing with that fat doughnut.....That hand needs to whither so he doesn't use it ever again.

whooooooop his distended and fat azzzz woman.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danno190)
    As a "white kid" I'd like to say I do empathise with you. I may not have had parents from the West Indies or thereabouts, but violent parents aren't just limited to those of an Afro-Caribbean background...
    Theres a difference between violent parents and disciplinarians.

Its not limited to Africans and afro-Caribbean parents. Its same in countries like china, korea, japan and in some eastern European countries...both at home and in the schools.

Parents and teachers are like gods.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dozyrosie)
    Name and shame your parents, sue them retrospectively. End this idea of violence is a cure for childhood.
    you should be sent to Korea, china or Nigeria.

Sue your parents? the police will whoop your azz and they,ll be commended for a job well done.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VinnicombeDmv)
    What kind of shameful parent thinks beating their children is for their own good? Fricken ridiculous if you ask me. No parent with a well-functioning cortex should ever do that. When a child misbehaves, punish them, yes, but not beat them! Give them a punishment that relates to their misdeed, don't effing risk scarring them for life. Use reason to stop them from misbehaving, not goddarn fear.
    You are lucky that you are white. White kids should not be beaten. Its not good for your skin.

I got whooped so bad. If I was white, I would have turned into a zebra with all the exotic marks inflicted on me. Black skin can be a good camouflage. Im glad to have one otherwise lots of people would be wondering how I got those excessive body arts...

Well done to all the tattooists who drew on my canvas. I appreciate all their love.

ReputationRep:
    This post is racist and funny at the same time XD

ReputationRep:
    Wow... Okay, so abuse happens everywhere, to all races. Hitting a child is absolutely horrible but it's got nothing to do with skin colour. Why would anybody want to hurt their own child in such a way? I never got beat like that and I turned out perfectly fine, for me, beating a child is the lazy way of taking care of difficulty and those that choose it should go to jail. My parents raised me never hitting me and I have no scars on my body and no bad memories from their treatment. Child abuse is wrong no matter what!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stephanie_12)
    Wow... Okay, so abuse happens everywhere, to all races. Hitting a child is absolutely horrible but it's got nothing to do with skin colour. Why would anybody want to hurt their own child in such a way? I never got beat like that and I turned out perfectly fine, for me, beating a child is the lazy way of taking care of difficulty and those that choose it should go to jail. My parents raised me never hitting me and I have no scars on my body and no bad memories from their treatment. Child abuse is wrong no matter what!
    I think what the OP is trying to say, is that in some cultures (like his mothers), beating your child is a social norm and morally acceptable, whereas in modern British culture, it isn't.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    Didn't get a belt, but did get a clout.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What's really upsetting is the amount of kids who get beaten without being given a chance to explain themselves (as made obvious from a few posters here). I don't think beating a child is normally necessary and I think if it's your go-to discipline method, of course nothing less will ever work, because a kid's going to play up until they see the belt come out if they know that's what they normally get! I also think parents shouldn't be afraid of using a beating as a last resort if their child's behaviour calls for it, but to teach children to behave properly, there actually needs to be some association between the "crime" and the punishment, and education and communication!

Physical punishment should never ever be used as a punishment for fighting/hitting etc. because it sends a totally mixed message - its not OK for you to hit, but it's OK for me (the parent) to. And the child should always be given a chance to explain what they were doing and either justify it, or admit that they can't justify it, before the parent explains the punishment, tells them what exactly about the behaviour was wrong, and then tells them what the punishment is.

Too often physical punishment seems to be an angry response done in the heat of the moment, and I can't see how that is good for anyone.

ReputationRep:
    White people can get smacked but you just have to do hit them at different parts of their body to avoid them getting a bruise
    But i think that smacking can be needed as some kids just have no respect for their parents and need to know who is in control.
    It also inflicts fear on them that when they do something wrong they know what the consequence is so it so they dont do it again
    I never understood all this naughty chair/corner buisness. It does not teach them that what they have done is wrong.

Just my opinion of the topic
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by toonervoustotalk)
    White people can get smacked but you just have to do hit them at different parts of their body to avoid them getting a bruise
    But i think that smacking can be needed as some kids just have no respect for their parents and need to know who is in control.
    It also inflicts fear on them that when they do something wrong they know what the consequence is so it so they dont do it again
    I never understood all this naughty chair/corner buisness. It does not teach them that what they have done is wrong.

Just my opinion of the topic
    Yeah, I always found the naughty step funny cause it was comfy and I could see the TV

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andy98)
    Yeah, I always found the naughty step funny cause it was comfy and I could see the TV

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Haha lucky
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by toonervoustotalk)
    Haha lucky
    Meh, they learnt quickly and used other methods

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andy98)
    Meh, they learnt quickly and used other methods

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ok fair enough

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 042)
    you should be sent to Korea, china or Nigeria.

Sue your parents? the police will whoop your azz and they,ll be commended for a job well done.
    Aren't I lucky to have been born in a country that is throwing off it's barbarous past, at least in law. All we have to do now is start prosecuting the child smackers, we already do prosecute the beaters.

I don't doubt that some countries allow bullies to beat children, just as some countries allow the state to execute people, what can we do about those backward nations, only lead by example.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think that beatings are bad if the intention is coming from a good place. My parents did it so I would not do what I had done again. In the long run you get a little scared of doing it then the punishment becomes successful. I agree to people who've never grew up with it may think it's bad but that's just the way some parents do it. And I also don't think it's all white people who don't give beatings. They do. If it's not beatings it's in another way of keeping their child from missbehaving and they turn out fine. Black people can beat their child and sometimes then they still rebel. But I don't think you can compare that to child abuse. That's not what all black parents are trying to do thier children. Of course child abuse does occurs but doesn't it occur everywhere? It's soooo different. If blacks beat their children for them to behave that's them. And if whites don't then that's them.

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps it's a generation thing. It's not so long ago terrible things happened in schools and I guess the home too. This is leaving aside 'abuse' and just talking about things society and relatively normal parents though ok. Thankfully times have moved on and become more civilised. I am totally against kids being hit whatever OP and the never did me any harm brigade say

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Treypound)
    they dont grow up getting whipped with belts if they were bad. As a black male with Jamaican parents I grewup with beatings with the belt if I was bad. At the time I cursed my mum but now Im grateful as I would probs have turned out worse, but yh back then I was so used to it that it started to not even hurt, my skin became stronger to.. I was a bad child though. white parents are to scared of the backlash, kids these days have so much power they could land their parents in the **** so easy.. I was to scared to report my mum anyway that thick Jamaican accent was scary

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I agree with the OP. Lets no overcomplicate matters: yes, generally us blacks, especially from african descent recieved beatings more than the majority of white kids (note the word majority)

But saying this, what I found out during my time growing up was that my parents will often beat me out of anger when ive done something wrong, rather than out of genuine love wanting to correct my actions. Thats where the line is crossed and it becomes abuse.

My sister (5 years older) was never beaten once but me, being the little wannabe thug black kid (LOL memories of that phase) I was, got beaten quite a lot. But tbh I appreciate it now because Ive got my head screwed on and will never disrespect anyone

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You honestly think you would have turned out "bad" (presumably a criminal) if you hadn't been beaten?

Given that the vast majority of people turn out well without being beaten, that is quite a big statement about your character.

In fact, you probably did need the beatings then. Probably religion, too, I guess?

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.