The Student Room Group

2016 Nursing Applicants!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by glo420
:smile: thanks. I'm so confused right now, you guys are already applying. I start my access course in January. I really don't know how it works. anyone know about access courses?

If your access starts in January - does it finish in December? If so, you would need to apply next September, I believe.
Reply 41
Original post by ChancedTravels
If your access starts in January - does it finish in December? If so, you would need to apply next September, I believe.

that's what confusing me. it says Jan 2016 - to July 2016. is that's too late to start applying for uni?
Reply 42
Hi

Applications are open.

I submitted my form nice and early. 6.30am today lol.

I have applied to study child nursing at Bournemouth and Southampton.

I have been studying with the OU since 2004 and work as a TA in a primary school. I also volunteer in the Children's Ward of the local hospital.

I thought I had enough experience but reading all your posts has made me feel a bit nervous.

Good luck everyone
Original post by glo420
that's what confusing me. it says Jan 2016 - to July 2016. is that's too late to start applying for uni?

Uni wouldn't start until October 2016 so should be fine - deadline is Jan 15 for applying though. Maybe call college and ask them what's the best thing to do, because you'll need a reference - but you could get an employer to do this instead I think :smile:
Original post by Kat129
Hi

Applications are open.

I submitted my form nice and early. 6.30am today lol.

I have applied to study child nursing at Bournemouth and Southampton.

I have been studying with the OU since 2004 and work as a TA in a primary school. I also volunteer in the Children's Ward of the local hospital.

I thought I had enough experience but reading all your posts has made me feel a bit nervous.

Good luck everyone

Well done!!! I'm so nervous to get it over with :P

I'm sure that's enough - it's how you talk about it and show your qualities more than having loads of experience :smile:
Reply 45
I'm sure you'll do great - they know that most people can't spend half their time volunteering!! I considered applying for PgDip but the funding is different so I wouldn't really have enough money, and also my undergrad is totally irrelevant so I think the science would be too hard for me! So I'm applying for BSc - we would probably still see each other though if we end up at the same uni! :smile:

That's really sensible, good for you! I didn't want to take another 3 years as my undergraduate was a 4 year course and I'm ready to get started now! And where I've done all the Biology and Chemistry I didn't really want to do that again either!

If I'm not successful (scary!) then I'll look at the BSc through Clearing as you do get more funding. I believe you can apply for the partial student loan even having already studied, which sadly I can't do for the PgDip! :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by fc93
That's really sensible, good for you! I didn't want to take another 3 years as my undergraduate was a 4 year course and I'm ready to get started now! And where I've done all the Biology and Chemistry I didn't really want to do that again either!

If I'm not successful (scary!) then I'll look at the BSc through Clearing as you do get more funding. I believe you can apply for the partial student loan even having already studied, which sadly I can't do for the PgDip! :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah it works out around £10,000 a year on the BSc plus fees paid for you obviously... so not too bad combined with soon-to-be-husband's salary.

Getting really nervous now because I want to apply but my volunteering occupational health is taking forever, and my reference is REALLY taking forever!! :eek:
Hi everyone!
Field: children's nursing
Places applying to: Southampton, Birmingham, Nottingham, Cardiff and UWE
Experience: a week in a nursery, special needs school, care home, shadowing a midwife, sports leaders scheme and a 'reading challenge' scheme
My application is nearly ready, just waiting on a couple of references!! Good luck everyone, we can do this :h:
Reply 48
Yeah it works out around £10,000 a year on the BSc plus fees paid for you obviously... so not too bad combined with soon-to-be-husband's salary.

Getting really nervous now because I want to apply but my volunteering occupational health is taking forever, and my reference is REALLY taking forever!! :eek:

Don't be nervous! All applications receive equal consideration as long as you meet the January deadline. :smile: I just wanted to get it out of the way as I've got a busy term coming up with my dissertation.

Wow that's a lot more than I thought. Though do you mind me asking if you're classed as independent or dependent? (I'm assuming from all your experience you're independent?)

I think I'm still classed as dependent and I can't get a partial student loan on the PgDip (and probably couldn't on the BSc either as I've done a 4 year degree already) so when I used the bursary calculator I think I'm looking at about £3500... which is a bit nervewracking when I'm supposed to be living in London on that. My boyfriend is a doctor and we're hoping he'll get his F2 rotation in London which would take off the strain if we could move in together.

So much having to be a grown up... :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by fc93
Don't be nervous! All applications receive equal consideration as long as you meet the January deadline. :smile: I just wanted to get it out of the way as I've got a busy term coming up with my dissertation.

Wow that's a lot more than I thought. Though do you mind me asking if you're classed as independent or dependent? (I'm assuming from all your experience you're independent?)

I think I'm still classed as dependent and I can't get a partial student loan on the PgDip (and probably couldn't on the BSc either as I've done a 4 year degree already) so when I used the bursary calculator I think I'm looking at about £3500... which is a bit nervewracking when I'm supposed to be living in London on that. My boyfriend is a doctor and we're hoping he'll get his F2 rotation in London which would take off the strain if we could move in together.

So much having to be a grown up... :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm still at uni (started a few years after sixth form) doing English in the evenings - going into third year now - so would be classed as dependant I think except I'm getting married in July which automatically classes you as I dependant / takes your partners income instead of parents!
Pgdip funding is totally different hence why I'm not doing it haha.
(edited 8 years ago)
Hello,
Does anyone know what font our personal statement needs to be in?

Thank you :smile:
Original post by futurechildnurse
Hello,
Does anyone know what font our personal statement needs to be in?

Thank you :smile:

When you put it into Ucas it standardises it anyway, so it doesn't matter :smile:

I've just submitted mine!!! Went for just Kings, City, Middlesex and LSBU and have a spare choice. SO nervous!!!!

How did the children's centre job go?
Reply 52
When you put it into Ucas it standardises it anyway, so it doesn't matter :smile:

I've just submitted mine!!! Went for just Kings, City, Middlesex and LSBU and have a spare choice. SO nervous!!!!

How did the children's centre job go?

Sorry to hijack! So exciting!

Kings have their own online application portal so when you apply through UCAS they are supposed to send you an email with a password and they send all information about interviews through that site! I haven't had one yet and I applied Tuesday so will give it until Monday then ask!

Could you let me know if you get any kind of acknowledgement from Kings, LSBU or City? As I've had nothing yet! Feel forgotten!

Best of luck!! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by fc93
Sorry to hijack! So exciting!

Kings have their own online application portal so when you apply through UCAS they are supposed to send you an email with a password and they send all information about interviews through that site! I haven't had one yet and I applied Tuesday so will give it until Monday then ask!

Could you let me know if you get any kind of acknowledgement from Kings, LSBU or City? As I've had nothing yet! Feel forgotten!

Best of luck!! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes of course - I'll post here as soon as any activity occurs!! Eek - we can do this!!
[QUOTE="ChancedTravels;59417013"]When you put it into Ucas it standardises it anyway, so it doesn't matter :smile:

How did the children's centre job go?[/QUOTE

Oh, ok thank you. Aww well done, I'm sure your do great. Everything is sorted for mine to be sent off. Just want a few people that don't know me to read it&find out whether or not they think it's ok.

My interview went well, thanks for asking! I answered all the questions and was there super early! I have to wait two weeks to find out.
Reply 55
Hi guys, I'm an Irish graduate, my degree is in social care. I am hoping to do the pgdip adult next start feb, march or april depending if I get a place ... I don't really know where to start, I have my application done just waiting on ref, I just don't know where is best to apply. I think I am just worrying about moving to a new country but also rent, work etc and what is the most reasonable and doable! Anyone else in the same boat, hit me, it would be great to hear from ye!
Cheers =)
Reply 56
Hello dear future nurses and perhaps future mates!

I would like to ask you for advice as one of those applicants who did not succeed last year and is between dissapointment and excitement to re-apply.

So here my story starts:
I applied in 2013 first and did not acquire the interviews. The tutors advised me to gain some experience in a care field, so to make my life and their life a bit easier I moved to England (though i was a French resident (not french though). So, in England i got the first job as i could get as a Care assistant (no regrets, i did love it!) and then re-applied in summer, 2014. Unfortunately, I did not have my IELTS by that time and I could not be considered by the admissions in Clearing, 2014. Okay, my fault.
So here we are in the new application cycle, UCAS October, 2015. I got my IELTS, however, 6.5. However, i got my first interview in the place where people from this room (portal) did not suggest to go. I went there anyways.
Couple of months later i passed the second IELTS, just as admissions required. I got my interview. Everything was fine, the selection day went smoothly, i was very happy and it was THE uni to me (let's call in uni WAU). Well, i received an answer "unsuccessful" with explanation that "your performance was weaker than other applicants". Allright, i contacted WAU to ask for a brief explanation, so that i can analyze myself and it could increase my chances. No answer. Clearing comes, i contact them again, there are places, but no communication (then i really want to put the music on maximum Led Zeppelin-Communication breakdown), no alternatives, i can't re-apply though obviously they had places at uni WAU. Also, my personal statement and reference did allow me to get to interviews, but no further. This is quite dissapointing and expensive (i live in France and on my own, i wont go to the details anymore), but please do not misunderstand me, I am not blaming anyone, but myself.
So why I am writing here? Well, I really want to start the course and my application is almost ready to send out, but i'm having fear that again I gonna waste a lot of time and money for commuting to the interviews. For sure, we have to prioritise, but i did not go to all my life's details. So, dear future nurses, perhaps you could give me advise how to be able to sell yourself more in selection events? I'm an introvert and group discussions in selection events are hard, because it is always timed and i can't make couple of sentences and then be okay. I speak calmly, but not quickly and somehow it stresses me out when it comes to a big competition to speak out. Perhaps you could give me some tips how to be okay with showing what i actually did and how i deserve the place? Also, do you know if it's appropriate to send the same personal statement?

I highly appreciate your attention and possible tips. If you need any info about selection events i attended, please do not hesitate to ask, i'll try to be as complete as possible. I still remember sort of questions were asked and where they've been asked.

Have a lovely evening! Thanks again
Reply 57
Original post by Gretus
Hello dear future nurses and perhaps future mates!

I would like to ask you for advice as one of those applicants who did not succeed last year and is between dissapointment and excitement to re-apply.

So here my story starts:
I applied in 2013 first and did not acquire the interviews. The tutors advised me to gain some experience in a care field, so to make my life and their life a bit easier I moved to England (though i was a French resident (not french though). So, in England i got the first job as i could get as a Care assistant (no regrets, i did love it!) and then re-applied in summer, 2014. Unfortunately, I did not have my IELTS by that time and I could not be considered by the admissions in Clearing, 2014. Okay, my fault.
So here we are in the new application cycle, UCAS October, 2015. I got my IELTS, however, 6.5. However, i got my first interview in the place where people from this room (portal) did not suggest to go. I went there anyways.
Couple of months later i passed the second IELTS, just as admissions required. I got my interview. Everything was fine, the selection day went smoothly, i was very happy and it was THE uni to me (let's call in uni WAU). Well, i received an answer "unsuccessful" with explanation that "your performance was weaker than other applicants". Allright, i contacted WAU to ask for a brief explanation, so that i can analyze myself and it could increase my chances. No answer. Clearing comes, i contact them again, there are places, but no communication (then i really want to put the music on maximum Led Zeppelin-Communication breakdown), no alternatives, i can't re-apply though obviously they had places at uni WAU. Also, my personal statement and reference did allow me to get to interviews, but no further. This is quite dissapointing and expensive (i live in France and on my own, i wont go to the details anymore), but please do not misunderstand me, I am not blaming anyone, but myself.
So why I am writing here? Well, I really want to start the course and my application is almost ready to send out, but i'm having fear that again I gonna waste a lot of time and money for commuting to the interviews. For sure, we have to prioritise, but i did not go to all my life's details. So, dear future nurses, perhaps you could give me advise how to be able to sell yourself more in selection events? I'm an introvert and group discussions in selection events are hard, because it is always timed and i can't make couple of sentences and then be okay. I speak calmly, but not quickly and somehow it stresses me out when it comes to a big competition to speak out. Perhaps you could give me some tips how to be okay with showing what i actually did and how i deserve the place? Also, do you know if it's appropriate to send the same personal statement?

I highly appreciate your attention and possible tips. If you need any info about selection events i attended, please do not hesitate to ask, i'll try to be as complete as possible. I still remember sort of questions were asked and where they've been asked.

Have a lovely evening! Thanks again

Hi there!

Whilst I can't offer much specific advice about nursing interviews, I can offer some thoughts on group interviews in general.

I think the first thing that stuck out to me was when you said that being "in competition" is very stressful for you. Unfortunately in group interviews, some people feel the need to talk over others and make themselves heard. Don't underestimate the importance of being seen to be a good listener! (So important in nursing!) You don't have to say the most to be the strongest. If someone says something that you don't agree with, politely ask them why it is they think that way, then you are showing interest whilst not seeming rude etc.

With regards to your personal statement, I think you can use the same one again assuming it was all your own work the first time! I would recommend adding something about what you have done in the past year to improve your suitability, for example I imagine you have carried on with your care job so talk about what you have learnt and why you are better now than before. :smile:

Hope this is helpful! Most importantly have faith in yourself! You'll do it this time! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 58
Yes of course - I'll post here as soon as any activity occurs!! Eek - we can do this!!

Great thank you! I'll do the same obviously! I hope it's not too long a wait! :no:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 59
Original post by CShaks
Hi guys, I'm an Irish graduate, my degree is in social care. I am hoping to do the pgdip adult next start feb, march or april depending if I get a place ... I don't really know where to start, I have my application done just waiting on ref, I just don't know where is best to apply. I think I am just worrying about moving to a new country but also rent, work etc and what is the most reasonable and doable! Anyone else in the same boat, hit me, it would be great to hear from ye!
Cheers =)

Hey! I'm applying for Child PgDip and have applied mostly to London unis but to be honest if you're not desperate to be in London, there are loads of good unis all over the place where the rent will be a lot cheaper and your bursary will go further! (Especially for the Adult branch as there are more hospitals for you guys!) Some of the Northern cities like Manchester and Leeds have lots of big hospitals and the cost of living is much lower. The PgDip funding isn't great sadly. If I wasn't moving into a flat share then I couldn't afford London on my bursary. :frown:

In terms of moving country, we're not that bad, it just rains a lot. :P You shouldn't find it hard to get work at all either.

Hope this helps!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending