Turn on thread page Beta
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by ComputerMaths97)
    I will be applying for Computer Science w/Maths and would simply love much more information on how an interview would go - Would Maths or Computer Science be the priority? I have a real passion for Maths and it's something I want the chance to portray as part of the interviews - will there be a chance to? I really haven't done that much regarding Computer Science out of school since why I want to study it at degree level - I want to learn it all the right way! But I can tell this was a bad decision and I should've just spent some time researching my interests instead of waiting for University to teach it all to me - but how badly will it ruin my chances? I wouldn't be applying for Computer Science if it wasn't my main interest yet I feel Universities will think I'm not that interested due to the lack of extra-curricular Computer Science things I've done.
    For Computer Science with Maths at Peterhouse you would have one interview on Computer Sciences (same as all Computer Science applicants) and one on Mathematics (this would be one of the two interviews given to Mathematics applicants).You would also have a test.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by vincrows)
    sorry for butting in but this is theinformation the university provide to the applicants regarding 'facilitatingsubjects.http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.a...ectmatters.pdf And here's an excerpt in regard torecommended/suggested choice of A-levels. 3 subjects OP is applying with are all fromthe third option, so to speak, in the list above. Wouldn't it make OP'sposition as a candidate a weaker than that of other candidates with simlar grages but with at least one or two facilitating/keystone subjects? If both are treated equally, wouldn't everyone choose to takeless challenging subjects to get better grades? (I understand grades are notall, but hope you understand the point I'm trying to make here.)=
    Yes, I am aware of subject matters, but applicants should consider the prospectus, colleges and faculties to take priority. Subject Matters is guidance on how to make choices leading up to applying and not a rule book of who may and may not apply. The best thing to do is for the question-setter to contact colleges directly and seek guidance in that way. Admissions Tutors and interviewers don't approach applicants and their subject choices in the way that Subject Matters sets them out - it is more a case of essential (applicants without these subjects should not apply), advantageous (applicants with these subjects will, all other things being equal, be at an advantage in the admissions process) and useful (knowledge gained by this subject is useful but the subject isn't a factor in admissions decisions).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peterhouse Admissions)
    Hi,

Your A levels look good and you look to be on track for A*AA, although History is a little low - which subjects are you continuing this year?

In terms of interview preparation, the best preparation is to continue with your wider reading, making sure you engage critically with it and can connect it to what you cover in school where applicable. It's also a good idea to make sure you haven't forgotten everything you revised for your ASs, but we don't expect you to devote tons of time to revision - the interviews are more a test of how you apply what you know rather than simply seeing how much you know.
    Yeah I was a bit disappointed with history and that is what i will be dropping so this year I am doing french, Spanish and politics (all predicted A*). Okay great thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, Martin from the Admissions Team here. I studied Biological Natural Sciences and carried on to a Masters and a PhD and I didn't do A level maths!

Whilst most candidates for Biological Natural Sciences do take maths A level, this isn't a requirement and there is a maths course in the first year (Elementary Mathematics for Biologists) specifically for those who did not take A level Maths. Your application wouldn't necessarily be harmed, depending on your choice of first year courses. Not having A level Maths limits your first year options and the importance of maths varies amongst those which don't absolutely require it. We would ideally want you to take at least 2 sciences (likely Biology and Chemistry) if not all 3 to A level.
    Many thanks Martin. All good to know.

ReputationRep:
    For Computer Science with Maths at Peterhouse you would have one interview on Computer Sciences (same as all Computer Science applicants) and one on Mathematics (this would be one of the two interviews given to Mathematics applicants).You would also have a test.
    Is the test the TSA?

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

The Peterhouse Admissions Team are back for another two-week thread leading up to out open day on the 19th. Ask us anything about applying, studying and living at Peterhouse. If we can't answer it, we'll find someone (academic, lecturer, current student) who can!
    I want to apply law and I have ACHIEVED grades of A*AA. therefore will I need to declare my ums and do I have to show what I achieved at AS level (showing its ums as well)

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    In an interview for medicine; how many separate interviews would I have? Assuming 2, would both interviews be similar or could I expect one on science and one on ethical issues perhaps, or would they be a mix of both?

Not applying to Peterhouse, however I assume that there will be a similar theme to the interviews throughout all the colleges?

ReputationRep:
    We like to see some evidence of English language ability before interview, but being taught and examined in English for two years is probably enough. Your English language ability will be tested as part of any interview and if there are concerns an IELTS condition would be added to any conditional offer made.
    Thank you for the information. It is really helpful XD

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm a bit confused on how the SUMS is calculated!

I took 5 AS levels (Maths, FMaths, Bio, Chem, Physics), and I am looking to apply for Bio NatSci this year. Is my Physics UMS used in calculating the SUMS, or is it left out as it is not really relevant? Also, I know that the Maths and FMaths UMS is combined, but is it given a weight of 1 or 2 AS levels?

Separately, is there any measure that distinguishes candidates that took 5 AS from those that did 4 AS?

Thank you for any information!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kawehi)
    Hi, I'm a bit confused on how the SUMS is calculated!

I took 5 AS levels (Maths, FMaths, Bio, Chem, Physics), and I am looking to apply for Bio NatSci this year. Is my Physics UMS used in calculating the SUMS, or is it left out as it is not really relevant? Also, I know that the Maths and FMaths UMS is combined, but is it given a weight of 1 or 2 AS levels?

Separately, is there any measure that distinguishes candidates that took 5 AS from those that did 4 AS?

Thank you for any information!
    Maths and Further combined.
    Then you use the average of the maths combined, biology and chemistry.

I think people forget they are humans, they can see all the information. It's quite clearly written that you've all those AS Levels and what you got in them

Not just an average they see

ReputationRep:
    Hi, thanks for answering this in advance.

For the Geography course (I know Peterhouse don't offer Geography but I thought I'd ask anyway), do you know if one interview is based around physical geography and one around human? Or does it just depend on the interviewers/college?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L'Evil Fish)
    Maths and Further combined.
    Then you use the average of the maths combined, biology and chemistry.

I think people forget they are humans, they can see all the information. It's quite clearly written that you've all those AS Levels and what you got in them

Not just an average they see
    So physics is left out entirely?

Well, since they rank the candidates and place them in A-E purely on UMS, I was just wondering if there was anything additional for those with more AS-levels. Thanks though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kawehi)
    So physics is left out entirely?

Well, since they rank the candidates and place them in A-E purely on UMS, I was just wondering if there was anything additional for those with more AS-levels. Thanks though!
    It says all science subjects on website but I've heard best 3 most relevant sciences.

I'd wait for the AT

ReputationRep:
    Hello,
    I need some advice on whether I should apply to cambridge. I wanted to study medicine, however my AS Ums average is 92% in the most relevant subjects Bio 95%, Chemistry 88% and Maths 93% which is below 95% for medicine offer holders. What is your advice?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by underestimate)
    Hello,
    I need some advice on whether I should apply to cambridge. I wanted to study medicine, however my AS Ums average is 92% in the most relevant subjects Bio 95%, Chemistry 88% and Maths 93% which is below 95% for medicine offer holders. What is your advice?
    I'm sure the AT will clarify - but 95% is an average, not a minimum.

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I really appreciate that the admission team at Peterhouse has taken time out to make a thread.

I am post A2, who has just finished my A level exams (achieving A*AAA in maths, physics, chemistry, fmaths). I am just enquiring if it possible to apply for Cambridge mathematics with post A2 resits. Via resits I am hoping to achieve A*A*A*A*.

Just some history/detail of my A levels:
    • my school does not offer AS (or A2) level further mathematics, so at AS level I was not able to pick fmaths , only after completing my AS, I saw that I desired to study mathematics at Uni. This left me with no choice but to self-teach the entire A level course (6 math modules) 6 months prior to my final A2 exams so that I could gain the qualification by summer.
    • this left me with 14 exams to study for in examination season (with 9 being self-taught), it was an extremely high workload.
    • All my A grades are relatively close to the A* mark, (Physics 5 ums off, Chemistry 8 ums off, Further maths 10 ums off) I achieved lower in all the unit 5 exams (these will be resit). Even with resitting some A2 fmaths modules I would have still completed the A level in 2 years like most.
    • I go to a relatively low achieving school, average A level grade of "D-/E+", as well as this only person to ever achieve AAA or higher.
    Your response will be well appreciated, so please be as honest as possible Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hi, sorry for the postgrad question but I was wondering if you have admissions stats for postgrad applications/acceptances to Peterhouse (History in particular). Also, I don't know if this is your area or not, but would a current undergrad average of 67% have a reasonable chance of getting an offer for a history masters?

ReputationRep:
    In the main uni website it says you accept the CAE exam grade B, as well as IELTS 7.5. But what happens if you have taken CAE 3-4 years before applying (and get a B)? Would you still accept it? And do conditional offers always include IELTS/CPE/etc. (talking about international applicants)?

ReputationRep:
    Could you please tell me the possible flags that come up next to an applicant and also explain each of them in a bit more detail? I'm being given conflicting answers from "Non-official" sources

Thank you!
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hi all, the Admissions Team is out of the office on a training day today but keep posting and we'll answer all questions tomorrow.

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    St Catharine's College Undergraduate
    Sat, 8 Sep '18
  2. University of Cambridge
    St Catharine's College Undergraduate
    Sat, 15 Sep '18
  3. University of Cambridge
    King's College Undergraduate
    Tue, 18 Sep '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.