Turn on thread page Beta

First day college. Shocked watch

ReputationRep:
    it's still the first day, you should be able to change your course choices ASAP

ReputationRep:
    It's still early and you can change if you want to. The best thing to do now is to speak to someone at your college and get some advice. But, yes, you can changed. I remember changing from English Lit AS to Economics AS and they allowed me

ReputationRep:
    If it's just about the number of days, enjoy it and use your time wisely job/ volunteering/ extra-curriculars
    If you think you should have done A-levels, then ask to change.
    Doing BTECs does not mean a person is less intelligent- it's just that they are less academically inclined, or they would like to enter a more vocational career

ReputationRep:
    i am at collage and am starting my second year on thursday and am currently using my spare time to make some money to start my business which is gold trading

Do you not get work experience alongside your course.

At my college I have to be in three times a. week and two day placements apparently.

Decided not to go sixth form no more.

(Original post by yt7777)
    I'm not sure if that's entirely true, I'm not being big headed but I certainly wouldn't class myself or any of my friends from my old BTEC class who are also at very good universities (inc. Manchester, KCL, Royal Holloway, Bath, Cardiff, Birmingham and Southampton) studying Computer Science as 'less intelligent'

The reason I chose BTEC was because It was a better choice for the industry that I want to go into, also I didn't see the point in studying 3 other subjects which wouldn't really benefit me when I could study one course with 3 times the content in the area that I wanted to pursue.

You cant judge it like that, judge it on the course content and the prospects you have after completing the course, you do get some idiots doing BTEC because they want to avoid exams, these people usually end up with bad grades or getting kicked off the course and don't end up getting into the industry, I personally believe you find the most passionate people on BTEC courses, the reason that more people do A levels is because they can open up more doors because you can pick more subjects allowing students to go to uni to study a variety of courses also it is viewed as the 'more traditional' route and a lot of the time pressure from schools and parents affect peoples decisions, with BTEC you can be limited to what you can do at uni, but if you know its what you want then why not go for it?
    Spot on-100 percent agree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr JB)
    Got my GCSE's.
    Did a 2 year L3 BTEC in Computing.
    Did a qualification in Computer Aided Engineering (CAD).
    Studied Computer Science at undergraduate level.
    Now run my own business that branches the digital marketing and technology industry.
    Making good money and living a comfortable life near a beach whilst my friends slave away in a corporate job.
    If this is failing life then I'm happy to have failed. All those who won, I hope you enjoy your 9 to 5 slavery.
    Hi, is doing a 1 year 90 credit BTEC in Computing enough to get a good job in IT or digital marketing, or do you really need to go to University to get a good job?

ReputationRep:
    Dunno why you see this as a bad thing.. more time to study at home, get a job, hobbies.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently doing a BTEC now and im loving it, Im doing L2 IT and hopefully progressing on to L3 IT then University, I will admit it, i did terrible in my gcse's ( I got one C in catering and the rest I failed), However I have a dream to go to University, and I am going to drive to that. So all you BTEC haters (STFU)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yt7777)
    A levels and BTEC cover the same content to the same level, How have they ****ed up their life? I did BTEC at college (that being said mine was 5 days per week) and im a second year Computer Science student at a good university, you dont know what you're talking about, A levels mean nothing in the real world
    Maybe BTECs in general. But clearly whatever this dude is doing with 2 days a week only they're not equivalent.

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing 4 days a week on a level 2 course

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

Features

Blinkered horse

Take off your BTEC blinkers

Find out the truth behind the BTEC myths.

Polling station sign

BTEC essentials

What you really need to know about studying BTEC.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.